Apple rebrands OS X as macOS, announces Sierra with Siri, plus focus on Continuity & iCloud

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    bdkennedy said:
    I've been in the Apple ecosystem for 16 years. I told myself back in February that if WWDC was lame, I'm going to venture out into alternative technologies. I didn't want that to come true, but damn.
    Goodbye.

We never needed you anyway.

Incidentally what platform are you going to that offers these features this well?
    axcoatlai46irelandMacPro
  • Reply 22 of 40
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Bummer.  My 2007 iMac is getting left out in the cold.  I guess I'll just have to switch to Windoze.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 23 of 40
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    bdkennedy said:
    I've been in the Apple ecosystem for 16 years. I told myself back in February that if WWDC was lame, I'm going to venture out into alternative technologies. I didn't want that to come true, but damn.
    Goodbye.

Incidentally what platform are you going to that offers these features this well?
    "We"? You the embodiment of Apple? As a shareholder myself, you don't speak for me BTW. I don't think senior leadership or the board feels threaten by some random guys comment on a forum. 
    singularitylilsmirky
  • Reply 24 of 40
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    bdkennedy said:
    Goodbye.

Windows 10 ? Hehehe. Sure, this will be a great 'Upgrade'. ;-)
    tallest skilai46chiaireland
  • Reply 25 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I think they wanted any information on upcoming Hardware, not a compatibility list.
    You and me both. They did say compatible, though.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    macOS is FINALLY the name. OS X is dead, long live macOS
    ai46
  • Reply 27 of 40
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Bummer.  My 2007 iMac is getting left out in the cold.  I guess I'll just have to switch to Windoze.
    So the first thing that crosses your mind when your computer has been supported for 9 years and will no longer be supported is to move to Windows? Thanks for the laugh. Please stop by in another 9 years and let us know how that went.
    ireland
  • Reply 28 of 40
    e4le4l Posts: 6member
    What an impressive barrage of incremental improvements on some of Apple's most marginally enjoyed products, rendering them perhaps near mediocre! #LostItsWay
    edited June 2016 cnocbuililsmirky
  • Reply 29 of 40
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    So the first thing that crosses your mind when your computer has been supported for 9 years and will no longer be supported is to move to Windows? Thanks for the laugh. Please stop by in another 9 years and let us know how that went.
    Jeesh.  No sense of humor this one.   
    I've still got my 2013 MBA and my 2015 iMac 5K.  I'll let you know how they're doing in 9 years.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    apple1991 said:
    macOS is FINALLY the name. OS X is dead, long live macOS
    They are essentially the same, just different name. Or not so different. I like it that they simplify the ecosystem, if consistencies make for a neater system, I am all for it.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jaunteejauntee Posts: 8member
    macxpress said:
    Did anyone catch that it appears macOS Sierra runs on a new file system? Looks like its no longer running on HFS+, but rather APFS (Apple File System). 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/new-apfs-file-system-spotted-in-new-version-of-macos/
     Still running HFS +
    ireland
  • Reply 32 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jauntee said:
    macxpress said:
    Did anyone catch that it appears macOS Sierra runs on a new file system? Looks like its no longer running on HFS+, but rather APFS (Apple File System). 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/new-apfs-file-system-spotted-in-new-version-of-macos/
     Still running HFS +
    Yeah APFS is for 2017. Probably coming in 10.13. Expect to see support for ARM Macs included somehow. Not that I understand if my statement makes sense, ha.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland said:
    Expect to see support for ARM Macs included somehow. Not that I understand if my statement makes sense, ha.
    Well, it would make sense to unify their filesystem between their devices, regardless of the platform. If nothing else, the iPhone and iPad will be based on it.

Hmm... wouldn’t that make jailbreaking/third party filesystem utilities harder/impossible?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Surprised there's no hey siri
  • Reply 35 of 40
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    TO THE ADMINS: as said before, carriage returns do not show when using Safari on Mac.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple should bring to Mac OS:

- True and full resume playback to iTunes application for Mac, as it was available in SoundJam MP from where iTunes was developed 15 years ago!

- Colored labels to items and Finder left pane, as previously available.

- Scroll bars with arrows (both vertical and horizontal), as previously available.

- Useful customizable Finder search engine (or at least search by Name Contains instead of the useless Kind Any current default), much as EasyFind (no Spotlight indexing required) and HoudahSpot work. Much as Sherlock worked on Mac OS 9 before OS X.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 36 of 40
    So it is going back to the old name, with a small m.

linkman
  • Reply 37 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Lucky me. I still use a 2009 iMac 3.06GHz on an everyday basis but I've still got Snow Leopard on it. Looks like I may try to move to macOS Sierra when it comes out. My iMac is still quite usable after all these years and I'm glad Apple was kind enough to see fit it could "use" the latest OS. I had wanted to update it to El Capitan but I don't have enough space on the 1GB iMac drive to do that. I'd have to remove a lot of junk I don't really need to another drive.
    I upgraded to El Capitan from Mountain Lion because of security updates and HATE the UI.   I like borders around windows and hate how the white off all overlapping apps bleed together.    Guess this will be my last make and will go with a Surface Pro next year (hopefuly the Windows 10 beta will be mostly over by then).   
    So disappointing because there are some really nice features with Continuity but the UI just seems too Flat.   I've grown to tolerate it on the iPhone, but can't stand the UI changes in OSX.   IVE is killing OSX and COOK is misleading apple.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

QuickTime VR!  Could be due a relaunch...
  • Reply 39 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

No, it is not going back to the old name. Before Mac OS X, the name of Apple's primary OS was "Mac OS." The new name is "macOS." The "m" is in lower case. There is no space between the "mac" and "OS." To the uninitiated, these differences may appear to be minor or even irrelevant. The differences are, in fact, major. 
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I just wanted to say how much I love reading the comments on these articles.  The articles are OK, but what I really login for is the comments, they are truly priceless.  Please accept this post as my thank you to the community of posters for brightening my day a bit.  Even if any one particular post is only fractionally humorous, those fractions add up with each page of comments, and collectively, possibly, are sometimes worth something as a whole.
    tallest skil