iOS 10 Messages gain rich links, 3X bigger emojis, bubble effects & third-party app integration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Speaking of emojis...figuratively it's been happening for decades, but now you can literally buy a piece of crap at Wal-Mart.

baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mike1 said:
    I really appreciate Apple keeping older products viable, but they really should just cut bait on the iPad2 now.
    Yeah, I’m actually upset about that now. It gets five more years of support than the first gen? Come on, Apple.
    larz2112 said:
    My bet is that you will need to buy a pack of stickers that you can then use at will.
    But of course both people will have to have them for them to be visible.  :/
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 23 of 41
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,109member
    Oh great.   Another way to accidentally turn on the camera and kill the battery.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Disappointed.  
    roger wade
  • Reply 25 of 41
    It's hilarious how many curmudgeons, Negative Nancy's, and shut-ins there are commenting on this thread that are completely incapable of understanding how most people under the age of 40 communicate these days.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So… no Android version then. 
    Get an iPhone. Thank me later.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    these upgrades were desperately needed to compete with other messaging services....you can still just text words for those who are scared of change....
    patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 28 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    larz2112 said:
    Who wants to bet that licensed characters are PAID attachments...

My bet is that you will need to buy a pack of stickers that you can then use at will. I don't think you will be charged every time you use one. That would be ridiculous, so on second thought, that's probably how it will work.
    those stickers were from a 3rd party app
  • Reply 29 of 41
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Sketch and dynamic messages? They are... Nice. I can see myself use this... A lot. But I also can see some people will get annoying, like my aunt for once, on the receiving end. It's a nice option for those who want to use them, and I have pencil to do some small sketch in ipad iMessage. Great to send idea quickly rather than trying to explain in 100 words. As for the bubbles and others, they are more or less a cosmetic. Something I need to try first hand to actually comment on the user experience. I expect I will get used to it very soon and becomes part of Apple experience naturally that I can't go without feeling something missing.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So… no Android version then. 
    Apple has no idea group messages are being used by most people today.  Android smartphone users outnumber iPhone users by a factor of 5.  Messaging around a group of smartphone users the odds that at least of the user user use an Android is overwhelming.  What does Apple tell iPhone user do?  Ask the Android users get an iPhone? This is purely pathetic.  
  • Reply 31 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You must live through your phone. It's a tool, not a substitution for living.
    nope, but I message friends and family all the time thru my phone, tablet, and computer. it's a valid form of communication. sorry you're so lonely out there. 
    Where does lonely come from? I worked for this company and NeXT. We developed these tools, when Steve was alive as tools. Tim is turning every opportunity to monetize consumers with the dumbest crap and leaving the real meat [Enterprise Tools] to their partnership with IBM. It's clear that you love shiny toys. Happy for you. But folks who spend their day IMing [that died for me by '98] really are either < 25 of age, or completely and socially underdeveloped that they need the means of an intermediary screen to feel connected.

Get off your butt and exercise. You look like your life could use some fitness in it.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 32 of 41
    lostkiwi said:
    A lot of people in China like to use stickers and detailed emoji. So this will help iMessage appeal to them.
    It will be hard to pry them off of WeChat though. That app is ridiculously popular there. 
    And the Far East has many unique fetishes. Perhaps they should offer these features for them alone?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:
    I don't see the "just because" when people are giving very specific reasons why they don't like these enhancements; just as you at giving reasons why you like the enhancements.

Personally, I'm glad they did something, but it's not
    of the markup and visual appeal for better and easier communication that I wanted. I hope I can disable most of these features are I'm not for pizzazz in my text bubbles. 
    I personally don't use emojis and don't understand the big fuss over them.  And I agree that most serious people won't use them and that most of these features are for kids (of any age).   But it doesn't bother me that they're there as long as it didn't get in the way of developing something actually useful.   The fact is for some time now, Apple's products appeal to a very wide range of users and to keep sales up, they've got to provide functions and enhancements that appeal to all of those markets, from 6-year-old girls to business users to hackers to 90-year-old men who didn't start using a computer until 2006.    That's what happens when you stop being a BMW and start being a mass market consumer products company.     
    My former colleague, Craig Federighi was mocking through sarcasm the future of the English language, on-stage, for all this crap. In short, this was pushed up the chain of command to appease a group of whiners demanding it.

When Bertrand Serlet was around this crap would never have been in the top 20 list. Now that he's focused on UpThere Cloud Service corporation I'm sure he's laughing at his younger pupil and what Craig has accepted for the Senior VP slot.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 34 of 41
    kevdrexkevdrex Posts: 13member
    And yet ... Apple Maps still won't play over Bluetooth in my car.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    But folks who spend their day IMing [that died for me by ’98] really are either < 25 of age, or completely and socially underdeveloped that they need the means of an intermediary screen to feel connected. Get off your butt and exercise. You look like your life could use some fitness in it.
    MD, bringing the hurt!
    My former colleague, Craig Federighi was mocking through sarcasm the future of the English language, on-stage, for all this crap.
    That made my blood boil. In your time with him, did you find that he bought into the leftist dialectic, or was he really mocking the decision to do this up on stage? I liked his kick at the marketing team later on, too. “Some people in marketing thought that’s what you’d really be seeing when you pulled up your phone camera...” about the suspiciously diverse group of people in the overly bright outdoor evening setting and then “That’s an incongruous bunch of images, isn’t it?” Good stuff.
    When Bertrand Serlet was around...
    Aww, you’ve made me miss Bertrand again.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    nope, but I message friends and family all the time thru my phone, tablet, and computer. it's a valid form of communication. sorry you're so lonely out there. 
    Where does lonely come from? I worked for this company and NeXT. We developed these tools, when Steve was alive as tools. Tim is turning every opportunity to monetize consumers with the dumbest crap and leaving the real meat [Enterprise Tools] to their partnership with IBM. It's clear that you love shiny toys. Happy for you. But folks who spend their day IMing [that died for me by '98] really are either < 25 of age, or completely and socially underdeveloped that they need the means of an intermediary screen to feel connected.

Get off your butt and exercise. You look like your life could use some fitness in it.
    too bad you dont still work for them -- instead you turned into a pathetic troll. you lost it, dude. try to reconnect with what made you want to do good work, instead of just bitching about everything online.

as for exercises -- youre talking out of your ass. im quite certain i squat more than you do, three days a week. probably more than anyone on this thread, if i had to guess. the notion that for one to enjoy messaging friends & loved ones is somehow mutually exclusive with being physically active is beyond idiotic. its this type of short-sighted thinking that is likely why you longer work with greatness and instead just take potshots on a website.
    edited June 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 37 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    zoetmb said:
    I personally don't use emojis and don't understand the big fuss over them.  And I agree that most serious people won't use them and that most of these features are for kids (of any age).   But it doesn't bother me that they're there as long as it didn't get in the way of developing something actually useful.   The fact is for some time now, Apple's products appeal to a very wide range of users and to keep sales up, they've got to provide functions and enhancements that appeal to all of those markets, from 6-year-old girls to business users to hackers to 90-year-old men who didn't start using a computer until 2006.    That's what happens when you stop being a BMW and start being a mass market consumer products company.     
    My former colleague, Craig Federighi was mocking through sarcasm the future of the English language, on-stage, for all this crap. In short, this was pushed up the chain of command to appease a group of whiners demanding it.

When Bertrand Serlet was around this crap would never have been in the top 20 list. Now that he's focused on UpThere Cloud Service corporation I'm sure he's laughing at his younger pupil and what Craig has accepted for the Senior VP slot.
    meanwhile, Serlet's doing nothing noteworthy while Craig is leading the most popular software dev conference hosted by the most popular software company in the history of our species. yeah, im sure your "former colleague" is crying himself to sleep at night, while you post on a rumors site about how it all sucks. 

do you trolls even realize how out of touch you are? 
    edited June 2016 roundaboutnowboopthesnoot
  • Reply 38 of 41
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 758member
    Who wants to bet that licensed characters are PAID attachments...

Ok, and?
  • Reply 39 of 41
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    ireland said:
    The only thing I wanted from the entire keynote—I'm not exaggerating—was iMessage for Android. Do I use an android device? No. Do most of my contacts? Absolutely. Would an Android client allow me to use iMessage and all its features exclusively for all my messaging needs? Yep.

iMessage for Android would significantly simplicity my mobile life and greatly improve my Apple device experience (my technological life).
    Tell your green bubble friends to buy a real phone.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,291member
    tzeshan said:
    Apple has no idea group messages are being used by most people today.  Android smartphone users outnumber iPhone users by a factor of 5.  Messaging around a group of smartphone users the odds that at least of the user user use an Android is overwhelming.  What does Apple tell iPhone user do?  Ask the Android users get an iPhone? This is purely pathetic.  
    I find the ratio to be the exact opposite, one greenie that forces the whole message over to SMS. As a matter of fact, in my core group of family and friends only one person uses an Android device.
    kevdrex said:
    And yet ... Apple Maps still won't play over Bluetooth in my car.
    Probably an issue with the car's system. Car companies don't usually revisit their product to bring it up to date with the latest changes.