Apple nixes Game Center app in first iOS 10 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Apple's long bemoaned Game Center is not present in the first beta version of iOS 10, suggesting the company intends to deprecate the standalone app after more than five years of service.

While Apple executives made no mention of the change at WWDC, AppleInsider on Monday confirmed Game Center is not among the first-party apps bundled with iOS 10 beta 1. The app is also not available to download from the iOS App Store.

Interestingly, Game Center still exists in Settings. It is unclear how users will add or remove friends from their social gaming networks without a dedicated app.

Game Center was announced in 2010 as a multiplayer gaming network similar to products marketed by console makers Sony and Microsoft. Existing versions allow users to connect with friends, compare stats and challenge them to online games, among other social elements.

Development has fallen by the wayside, however, as consumer interest waned. Apple has since turned its focus to more important internet services with monetary potential, like Apple Music.

The quiet move comes alongside another unannounced, but much-anticipated, iOS 10 feature: unbundling. Apple faithful have long requested the company allow users to delete bundled apps -- so named because they come pre-installed on all iOS devices -- that are not useful and simply take up home screen real estate.

With the debut of iOS 10 beta, users can delete rarely used app like Compass if they so choose. Even interconnected apps like Contacts, Maps and FaceTime can be uninstalled at will. Apple has placed its first-party offerings on the iOS App Store in case users want to reinstall at a later date.

As with any beta build, app offerings and settings are far from final, and Apple might decide to include Game Center when iOS 10 reaches public release this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Wow, this would be a surprise non-inclusion in the FINAL. Unless replaced with something new...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I've never understood the need for the Game Center app. All of the information should be in the background and work seamlessly with game apps.
    bdkennedy1002anantksundaramTurboPGTcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    And I was just about to finally accept Sammy_Jammy_88888's request to join in a game of CandyFarmPokerCrushVilleCombat... after 4 years...
    patchythepirate[Deleted User]mike1cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple never really has succeeded on the social side of things. I never saw the value of having this app. In the 5yrs its been out its never been of use for me and always gets hidden away. I guess maybe Apple saw others did the same thing. 
    anantksundaramjackansicornchip
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I've never understood the need for the Game Center app. All of the information should be in the background and work seamlessly with game apps.
    Couldn't agree more. It was one of those pointless pieces of included Apple iOS clutter that could not be deleted. 

Not any more. Yea. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Couldn't agree more. It was one of those pointless pieces of included Apple iOS clutter that could not be deleted. 

Not any more. Yea. 
    Long before iCloud there was a need to sync game scores and achievements so you could switch devices or remove and reinstall the game and not lose your scores. There were a couple third party networks that games developers used. Game Center made that part of the OS but the App itself was another failed social network attempt by Apple. iCloud sync pretty much made it obsolete. 
    jony0
  • Reply 7 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Give it two weeks; it'll be back.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jd143cnjd143cn Posts: 3member
    It will be included. They mentioned it in the keynote when talking about the watchOS update. 
    jbishop1039irelanddouglas baileyjackansicornchip
  • Reply 9 of 14
    From the release notes: "The Game Center app has been removed. If your game implements GameKit features, it must also implement the interface behavior necessary for the user to see these features." https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniOS/Articles/iOS10.html
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 14

Not any more. Yea. 
    Long before iCloud there was a need to sync game scores and achievements so you could switch devices or remove and reinstall the game and not lose your scores. There were a couple third party networks that games developers used. Game Center made that part of the OS but the App itself was another failed social network attempt by Apple. iCloud sync pretty much made it obsolete. 

Apologies for the inline response, but IE/ AI refuses to let me use the new line for some reason. I play SimCity BuildIt and it has 2 options to let my sync my game across devices. The first is Game Centre and the other is Facebook. I don't use Facebook so Game Centre is pretty much the only way my game is updated on the Cloud so I don't lost anything when moving to another device, or a new device.

I hope developers who use Game Centre ensure that the games are saved on Cloud once Game Centre is taken away.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 11 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Good riddance. Although I imagine it will be back at some point, revamped and reimagined. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I can see this possibly coming back, but hopefully not. GameCenter should simply be an invisible service that syncs game progress across devices.
    jlandd
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    macxpress said:
    Apple never really has succeeded on the social side of things. I never saw the value of having this app. In the 5yrs its been out its never been of use for me and always gets hidden away. I guess maybe Apple saw others did the same thing. 
    The app maybe but the service itself is great if developers use it properly.

Take for example Real Racing 3. It uses GameCentre to save my games so if I sign into GameCentre on another device I can just pick it up straight away. Admittedly that would be best served with iCloud integration but GC also allows me to race against my dad and other friends very easily.

The app on the other hand was a waste of time and used only slightly more than the Stocks app which I never use.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    aricbaricb Posts: 27member
    As they later clarified, the app isn't uninstalled, rather just the icon is removed. Going to the app store to "reinstall" the app just re-adds the icon.