Apple opens Siri up to developers with third-party SDK

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Apple on Monday announced a third-party SDK for its Siri virtual assistant, opening up voice control options for developers integration.

As rumored in May, Siri is now available for third-party app integration, opening a world of voice control possibilities. Until now, the virtual assistant has been limited only a handful of first-party and select trusted apps.

Demonstrated onstage by SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, Siri integration allows developers to build data query and app control support directly into their software. For example, Siri is able to parse relevant information from the query, "Send a WeChat to Nancy saying I'll be five minutes late," into a WeChat message.

Federighi highlighted Siri's natural language processing, which will create the same WeChat message from queries like, "Tell Nancy I'll be five minutes late," "WeChat Nancy I'll be five minutes late," or "I need to send a WeChat to Nancy saying I'll be five minutes late."

In addition to messaging via Slack, WhatsApp and WeChat, the updated Siri also supports photo searches, workout controls, payments, VoIP calls and ridesharing scheduling.

Finally, Siri now works with CarPlay.

Rumblings of a third-party Siri SDK arrived last month when reports said Apple would open up access to the virtual assistant's technology, especially the voice recognition module. Rumors at the time also claimed Apple was working to unveil a Siri-powered Amazon Echo competitor at WWDC, but the device was a no-show at today's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This puts an end to the idea that iMessages will come to Android.

With Siri being able to work with third party messaging Apps, there's no longer any real need to have iMessages ported over.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kenh26kenh26 Posts: 15member
    Siri does already work on CarPlay - it's just restricted to Apple Apps. If you hold the on-screen Home "button" you can issue normal Siri instructions such as "Send a message to ...".  What was announced today was that Siri would be able to control third party CarPlay approved apps - the one that popped up on the presentation was Skype (presumably for making VoIP calls). Presumably (?) this will allow messages to be sent and received on WhatsApp using voice controls in the same way as is currently supported for Messages
    chabig
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    Does it have a better engine, like hound and viv?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/30/apples-vocaliq-takeover-could-hint-at-siri-upgrades-for-wwdc-and-beyond
    Prior to Apple's takeover, VocalIQ's technology scored over 90 percent in difficult accuracy tests — compared with roughly 20 percent for Siri, Google Now, or Microsoft's Cortana, a source told Business Insider. This includes interpreting complex commands an assistant like Siri would normally fail on, such as "Find a nearby Chinese restaurant with open parking and Wi-Fi that's kid-friendly."

• Reply 5 of 6
    fordeefordee Posts: 31member
    It's open to developers, but only for certain categories like photo searching, chat, ride etc.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    They have great challenge to make more people use Siri more often, public or otherwise. I think this is the first obstacle they need to find a solution for. VocalQ, 3rd party, they are all great to improve the core system, but Siri needs to be more acceptable in normal public use first. One of the first thing they should do is to make the experince great while using it in public.