Apple reveals macOS Sierra hardware compatibility list

Posted:
in Mac Software
Following Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, Apple posted details about the upcoming macOS Sierra release to its official webpage, noting hardware support going back to the 2009 model year.

While not yet posted to the macOS preview webpage, a slide presented by SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi during today's keynote reveals Sierra's hardware operating requirements. When it launches this fall, the next-generation macOS will boast compatibility with:

2009 and later

• MacBook
  • iMac

2010 and later

• MacBook Air
  • MacBook Pro
  • Mac mini
  • Mac Pro

The newly rebranded macOS comes with a host of new features, not the least of which being integration with Apple's Siri virtual assistant. Previously restricted to iOS devices, Siri on Mac is expected to shift the paradigm of voice control on desktop with support for messaging, file and web searches, Notifications, system status and much more.

Other enhancements include a new file system built for modern computer equipment, rich Messages, Photos app buffs, Apple Pay for the web and auto unlock via Apple Watch, among numerous under the hood improvements.

Apple earlier today published a similar compatibility list for iOS 10, the next-generation mobile operating system set to debut this fall. As it stands, iOS 10 can run on hardware powered by second revision A5 system-on-chip silicon, which for iPhone means iPhone 5 and newer. For iPad, Apple is extending support to A5X and newer devices, starting with iPad 2.

Developers can download both macOS Sierra and iOS 10 today, while a public beta is due for release in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    This means for the first time there is an aluminum unibody that is not getting the latest software. My late 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook didn't make the cut. It's a shame too since it runs fast with the SSD I installed. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 55
    grblade said:
    This means for the first time there is an aluminum unibody that is not getting the latest software. My late 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook didn't make the cut. It's a shame too since it runs fast with the SSD I installed. 
    This is a bummer - My 2008 MacPro is going strong - fully loaded - Updated video etc. I was hoping to get a few more upgrades out of it. So now Im wondering if I upgrade the processors from the 2.8 ghz to the 3.2 if it would work since Apple didn't lock the machine to processors?
    edited June 2016 docno42
  • Reply 3 of 55
    grblade said:
    Not even close, actually. The first MacBook Air was dropped after Lion. And that machine pioneered the aluminum unibody. 
  • Reply 4 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yeah, I’m going to figure out how to install it on my Mac Pro. I’m going to take a wild guess and say that it’s not actually too old to run it.
    docno42
  • Reply 5 of 55
    I imagine that there is a video card requirement for the MacPro that the 2008 ones don't meet now, and perhaps Bluetooth requirement as well. I highly suspect that 10.12 will run on a 2008 MacPro
    tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 55
    I imagine that there is a video card requirement for the MacPro that the 2008 ones don't meet now, and perhaps Bluetooth requirement as well. I highly suspect that 10.12 will run on a 2008 MacPro
    So wouldn't it be Apple's responsibility to just port up their old graphics drivers? I use a GTX 980 now, though. That's modern enough. And I'm fine with not using any Bluetooth 4-only features; I never use Bluetooth anyway. 
  • Reply 7 of 55
    I think they'd like you to buy a new Mac. I'm actually impressed that my nearly 6 year old 2011 MacBook Pro is still supported!
    schlack
  • Reply 8 of 55
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    My mid-09 17" MBP misses out, as does my Mac Pro at work! Sad, but not irrationally angry at Apple like many over on MacRumours. Yosemite and ElCap are perfectly fine operating systems for these 7 year-old computers.

The MP will hopefully be replaced, or rather supplemented (as I still have to boot into Snow Leopard daily) by an iMac later this year or early next, after Kaby Lake is available, so I can look forward to all the goodies of new hardware and the latest OS then.
    skywillmottjahbladeschlack
  • Reply 9 of 55
    The article incorrectly states '2009 or later' iMacs and MacBooks. It's actually 'Late 2009 or newer' iMacs and MacBooks that are required.

i have an 'Early 2009' white MacBook and a 'Mid 2009' 20" aluminium iMac and neither of these make the grade - El Cap is the end of the road for these two.... 
    kramasnu
  • Reply 10 of 55
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    The article incorrectly states '2009 or later' iMacs and MacBooks. It's actually 'Late 2009 or newer' iMacs and MacBooks that are required.

i have an 'Early 2009' white MacBook and a 'Mid 2009' 20" aluminium iMac and neither of these make the grade - El Cap is the end of the road for these two.... 

2009 and later means the same thing as 2009 and newer. Later doesn't mean older, it means they were released later in time.
    ai46bloodstains
  • Reply 11 of 55

2009 and later means the same thing as 2009 and newer. Later doesn't mean older, it means they were released later in time.
    Your response is nonsensical; the original poster is correct. 
    radarthekatTurboPGTkramasnu
  • Reply 12 of 55
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I'm using a 2010 MBP 15" that will run Sierra according to the list.  However, it does not have the newer Bluetooth and thus cannot use Air Drop. I suspect that this means some of the cool features of Sierra won't work on my machine.  Plus this computer has a bad Nvidia graphics card which was part of a recall.  Naturally my computer did not have any symptoms until after the recall ended.  In fact it started the day I installed Yosemite.  The card causes GPU panics that totally crash the computer.  

Might be buying a new MBP this winter. That rumored control strip has my attention.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Well, it's been a good run for my 2008 Mac Pro which was a hand-me-down machine from a friend.  I've put some money in it but I've gotten two good years out of it,  And I suspect that a similar hacking attempt to get it to load on older Mac Pro hardware will happen, just like El Cap running on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro.

A good excuse to upgrade this October.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    PTMPTM Posts: 1member
    Are you sure this is correct? A 2009 or newer MacBook is compatible but only 2010 or newer MacBook Pros are? Seems backward since the pro is a faster model.
    tallest skildysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 55
    PTM said:
    Are you sure this is correct? A 2009 or newer MacBook is compatible but only 2010 or newer MacBook Pros are? Seems backward since the pro is a faster model.
    It’s extremely backward, since the 2009 Mac Pro is more powerful than a fair few of the supported models and it isn’t.

But it’s what Apple posted. There’s a tiny chance it could change before launch, but don’t count on it.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 55
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    Following Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, Apple posted details about the upcoming macOS Sierra release to its official webpage, noting hardware support going back to the 2009 model year.

While not yet posted to the macOS preview webpage, a slide presented by SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi during today's keynote reveals Sierra's hardware operating requirements. When it launches this fall, the next-generation macOS will boast compatibility with:

2009 and later

• MacBook
    • iMac

2010 and later

• MacBook Air
    • MacBook Pro
    • Mac mini
    • Mac Pro

The newly rebranded macOS comes with a host of new features, not the least of which being integration with Apple's Siri virtual assistant. Previously restricted to iOS devices, Siri on Mac is expected to shift the paradigm of voice control on desktop with support for messaging, file and web searches, Notifications, system status and much more.

Other enhancements include a new file system built for modern computer equipment, rich Messages, Photos app buffs, Apple Pay for the web and auto unlock via Apple Watch, among numerous under the hood improvements.

Apple earlier today published a similar compatibility list for iOS 10, the next-generation mobile operating system set to debut this fall. As it stands, iOS 10 can run on hardware powered by second revision A5 system-on-chip silicon, which for iPhone means iPhone 5 and newer. For iPad, Apple is extending support to A5X and newer devices, starting with iPad 2.

Developers can download both macOS Sierra and iOS 10 today, while a public beta is due for release in July.
    Thanks Apple. Both of my Mac's (2008 Mac Pro and 2008 Macbook Pro) can not use this software. I guess since no hardware updates were announced that I may have to go to a PC and use Windows 10. I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis. I am really disappointed with Apple and their lack of motivation.
    edited June 2016 tallest skilpulseimagesdysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 55
    jumpcutter said:
    I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis.
    You’re going to be told to buy stuff that is out now.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Glad to see my mini (with disc drive) makes another cut.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    cincytee said:
    Glad to see my mini (with disc drive) makes another cut.
    How long before Apple removes the software required to interface with optical drives from OS X (still calling it that)? I think it might still work with ZIP drives, and I know it still recognizes HD DVD...
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 55
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Thanks Apple. Both of my Mac's (2008 Mac Pro and 2008 Macbook Pro) can not use this software. I guess since no hardware updates were announced that I may have to go to a PC and use Windows 10. I will never understand a computer company that does not update their equipment on a regular basis. I am really disappointed with Apple and their lack of motivation.
    Did ElCap and your computers suddenly stop working when Apple announced Sierra?
    williamlondonargonautradarthekatnolamacguy