How to remove Stocks, Compass and other native apps from your iPhone or iPad in iOS 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
The upcoming release of iOS 10 will finally allow users to uninstall unwanted native apps, including Stocks and Watch, and even core apps like Calendar, Mail and Music. Here's how it works.

Apple chose not to highlight the ability to uninstall native apps in iOS 10 at its Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. However, as a longstanding feature request from iPhone and iPad users, it's likely to be one of the most well received changes in the forthcoming update.

Apps are removed through the same deletion process as third-party apps. The full list of native apps that can be removed are:

• Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Compass
  • Contacts
  • FaceTime
  • Home
  • iBooks
  • iCloud Drive
  • iTunes Store
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Music
  • Notes
  • Podcasts
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Tips
  • Videos
  • Voice Memos
  • Watch
  • Weather

iOS 10 is now available to registered developers in a pre-release beta. Members of Apple's public beta program will be able to install the software in July, while iOS 10 will officially launch to the public this fall, likely in late September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    What happens if you click on a mail link somewhere and you don't have the native mail app installed?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What happens if you click on a mail link somewhere and you don't have the native mail app installed?
    Try it.
    TurboPGTstantheman
  • Reply 3 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    It's interesting you would highlight the removal of stocks and compass in your headline. I use compass all the time and is one of those apps that could save your life when you least expect it.

As for stocks, if I delete it, will it delete Wall Street and all the corrupt brokers and analysts. If not, then what's the point?

TurboPGTdysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 25
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    does anyone know how much storage space will be saved by deleting all those apps?
    supadav03dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 25
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    On Apples information page they say that all the apps represent about 150 MB in total so not alot. (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204221)

edited June 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 25
    If you delete compass, can you redownload it when you're lost in the woods? I'd think twice on that one!
    jbdragonrazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    This is excellent news for enterprise deployment.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well there's a couple things I guess I could delete, Stocks and Podcast. Everything else I use at least a little. I really don't see this as that big of a deal.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Web mail app. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    smiffy31 said:
    On Apples information page they say that all the apps represent about 150 MB in total so not alot. (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204221)

BINGO !!!!

How about the Facebook app allowing you to delete all its temp files?!?!  Check out how much space that all takes up then I would like to hear from the moaners who complain about the "wasted" space by the native apps.

For the record, I just checked...
    App 115 MB
    Documents and Data 369 MB

I know I know...better off just deleting the app and getting back nearly 1/2 gig of space haha
    stantheman
  • Reply 11 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Never understood why people were so OCD about this. God forbid you put the apps you don't use in a folder and never worry about them again. Allowing deletion of core apps is not as easy as it sounds, and I can see it creating problems and confusion for those who do it accidentally since these apps have deep hooks throughout the OS. 

The only positive thing is that these apps can now hopefully be updated between OS releases. 
    TurboPGTlarz2112pte applenolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Here's my attempt at a list of Apps that CANNOT be removed in iOS 10: App Store, Camera, Clock, Feedback, Find Friends, Find iPhone, Game Center, Health, Messages, News, Newsstand, Phone, Photos, Remote, Safari, Settings, Wallet.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 13 of 25
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    smiffy31 said:

thanks for the tip
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ljc94512ljc94512 Posts: 54member
    Here's my attempt at a list of Apps that CANNOT be removed in iOS 10: App Store, Camera, Clock, Feedback, Find Friends, Find iPhone, Game Center, Health, Messages, News, Newsstand, Phone, Photos, Remote, Safari, Settings, Wallet.
    App Store, Photos, Camera, Messages, Phone, Find my iPhone and Settings cannot be removed for obvious reasons.  Find my Friends and Remote can be removed.  Health cannot be removed because I think Apple insist you should always consider your health lol.  News can be removed in a future beta of iOS 10.  Game Centre app is gone already in this first beta (don't know if it will come back).  Newsstand doesn't exist anymore (in iOS 9, replaced by News).  Not too sure why Wallet has to stay, but maybe because it is so integrated with the OS for Apple Pay so it must stay.  Feedback app only exist in iPhones with beta software so normally users won't have it.  Again, don't know why Clock app has to say, but maybe the app is actually integrated with the system clock maybe deleting it will break the phone so it has to stay.  Finally, I think Safari should be deletable too; I use it personally (iCloud bookmarks) but I know some users prefer Chrome or other type of browsers.

Overall a welcomed feature.  1 less reason for Fandroids to bitch about.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Has anyone heard whether Apple will make it easier to clear iOS temp files? As @icoco3 mentioned, apps like Facebook can fill up your phone before you know it and there's no way to clear out it's garbage temp files without deleting the app. I want to see what is being stored on my phone and be able to selectively clean out things.
    icoco3
  • Reply 16 of 25
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    As I have read elsewhere Apps are not deleted. They are hidded and you can "reinstall" them even when in Airplane mode. It may differ app by app but Maps for example works this way. It is possible that other Apps that are not essential and are not linked to other functionality can be physically deleted.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    rob53 said:
    Has anyone heard whether Apple will make it easier to clear iOS temp files? As @icoco3 mentioned, apps like Facebook can fill up your phone before you know it and there's no way to clear out it's garbage temp files without deleting the app. I want to see what is being stored on my phone and be able to selectively clean out things.
    Solution: Delete Facebook and never look back.
    icoco3dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 25
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member

jbdragon said:
    Well there's a couple things I guess I could delete, Stocks and Podcast. Everything else I use at least a little. I really don't see this as that big of a deal.
    Its not a big deal, and I'm actually a bit annoyed at Apple for even caving in to this niche request. It took all of 30 seconds for people to start screaming, "HOW DO I GET THEM BACK NOW!?! FU APPLE!" (not on this forum, yet).
    icoco3
  • Reply 19 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    icoco3 said:
    How about the Facebook app allowing you to delete all its temp files?!?!  Check out how much space that all takes up then I would like to hear from the moaners who complain about the "wasted" space by the native apps.

App 115 MB

I know I know...better off just deleting the app and getting back nearly 1/2 gig of space haha
    More important than the storage, how about getting back your life? (he says, as he posts a smart@ss comment himself.)
    singularityicoco3
  • Reply 20 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    cpsro said:
    icoco3 said:

App 115 MB

More important than the storage, how about getting back your life? (he says, as he posts a smart@ss comment himself.)
    I think that was a subconscious part of my comment, "a life" B)