Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Forgetting where you parked could soon be an issue of the past, thanks to a new feature in Apple's newly released iOS 10 that automatically remembers where your car is located.

Via AppleInsider reader Ophir.

Using Apple Maps for directions in iOS 10, a user's iPhone will remember a vehicle's location at the end of of a trip. This is done automatically for a trip that does not end at the user's home address.

The new feature notifies a user that their vehicle is parked and drops a pin on a map in its location. Users can get directions to their parked car, or edit the location to pinpoint it more accurately.

A parked car also shows up automatically as a recommended destination in Apple Maps. That means a "Parked car" option will show up on the Apple Maps lock screen widget for easy access, if a user has it enabled in iOS 10.

Beyond helping users find their car, Maps will see other significant changes in iOS 10, most notably the ability for third-party applications to add functionality via extensions. At this week's Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple showed how app extensions will enable users to search for restaurants, book a reservation, request a car, and pay for the car without the need to open another app.

Other features include quick access to destinations along a current route, such as gas stations or restaurants. Maps will also provide information on traffic conditions and current road hazards, and the view will zoom in or out appropriately based on speed, location and upcoming route.

Editor's note: This article was originally published in June following Apple's announcement of iOS 10 at WWDC 2016. It is being republished to coincide with the mobile operating system's public release. For more on iOS 10, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I was hoping for multi-location trip routes.

"Siri, I am going to A, B and C. Plan the best route."
    jackansilolliverargonautJanNLdesignrdoozydozenstevehspheric
  • Reply 2 of 76
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I used to mark my parking spot manually. This looks like something that save me that extra work. Good job.
    lolliverlatifbplostkiwidoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Yes so you can get wasted and still find your car next day.
    lolliverfotoformatargonautdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 76
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    kevin kee said:
    I used to mark my parking spot manually. This looks like something that save me that extra work. Good job.
    The question I have: is it completely automatic anytime you park, or as it implies, does it only happen if you're ending a trip using maps to navigate a route?
    jay-tlollivertzterrilostkiwiargonautalbegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    mknelson said:
    kevin kee said:
    The question I have: is it completely automatic anytime you park, or as it implies, does it only happen if you're ending a trip using maps to navigate a route?
    The Android one remembers automatically anytime you park, you hope it would be the same
    lostkiwiargonautsreebigpicscroprdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 76
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    Does Apple Maps auto correct traffic routes based on traffic conditions yet?
  • Reply 7 of 76
    And they say innovation is dead at Apple!  Apple approach is always subtle that one only realizes after it's use. Just like the app "where is my iPhone"!!
  • Reply 8 of 76
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    And they say innovation is dead at Apple!  Apple approach is always subtle that one only realizes after it's use. Just like the app "where is my iPhone"!!
    Don't get affected by the noisiest people on the internet.
    lolliverdjkfisherargonautalbegarcdoozydozenlostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If only it would also drive my car for me! /s  :p
    designrdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 76
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    jfanning said:
    mknelson said:
    The article actually says, "...will remember a vehicle's location at the end of of a trip."  So my interpretation is any trip, like to the store or work.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 11 of 76
    jfanning said:
    mknelson said:
    The Android one remembers automatically anytime you park, you hope it would be the same
    Also it smart enough to differentiate your home and non-home at the end of trip. This is better than Android version in my opinion, it notifies automatically when you really park regardless you use a map gps, not only stop, and where - and automatically give you direction - shown directly in the lockscreen.
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    kevin kee said:
    jfanning said:
    Also it smart enough to differentiate your home and non-home at the end of trip. This is better than Android version in my opinion, it notifies automatically when you really park regardless you use a map gps, not only stop, and where - and automatically give you direction - shown directly in the lockscreen.
    Apart from the lockscreen one, you have exactly described the Android version, personally I wouldn't want this information on the lockscreen, so how is it better?
    cropr
  • Reply 13 of 76
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    this won't be necessary when the apple car comes out /s
  • Reply 14 of 76
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 130member
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
  • Reply 15 of 76
    djkfisher said:
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
    Apple maps is improving faster than Google was based on the timeline (Google Map was nowhere as good as Apple Map on their 4th year), so I wouldn't worry too much. Apple can not rely on important apps like this on 3rd party. The last time they tried, Google denied turn-by-turn navigation on iOS,
    latifbplostkiwidorkus maximusbadmonkpscooter63doozydozenstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 76
    kmanvankmanvan Posts: 10member
    Wow. Doing what Android has been doing for years already and calling it innovation. Embarrassing. 

singularitycnocbuicroprdasanman69
  • Reply 17 of 76
    So basically...Waze. They should have bought Waze when they had the chance. I still don't understand why it's taken them this long to catch up. Sadly, I am starting to feel like that's all Apple's been doing is catching up. iOS10 is bringing in features that already exist elsewhere.
    redraider11herbapou
  • Reply 18 of 76
    AniAni Posts: 5member
    kevin kee said:
    jfanning said:
    Actually, on Android it is a Google Now feature, the same as the "home" and "work" location Now will suggest a few days after turning the features on. The parked car location automatically shows up in Now, no matter if you used trips or any navigation at all. I've never entered the location manually and rarely use navigation. Yet, in huge parking buildings with many levels (e.g. at airports) I still take a photo of the parking lot number. 10 or 20 years ago I've wasted hours to find my car at some airport long-time parking and I play safe since then  :D
  • Reply 19 of 76
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    kmanvan said:
    Wow. Doing what Android has been doing for years already and calling it innovation. Embarrassing. 

I've found it works very hit and miss on my android phone. Once  when I moved my car a couple of miles it didn't recognise that I had moved and told me my car was still in the previous place. 
    doozydozenstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 76
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Would be nice to have same feature without using map for direction and map remembers at the end of trip. For example, if I am going to mall than I don't need map for direction because I already know the place but I can forget where I parked my car in mall's big parking lot. Same true in multi-store parking deck or game arena parking lot.
    Someday car's infotainment system through Carplay will talk to iphone and that can take care of where parked to starting car to see status of car doors,etc,,,