Video: See Apple's overhauled iOS 10 Messages with expressive text bubbles, animations & more

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Perhaps the biggest overhaul in Apple's upcoming iOS 10 can be seen in the Messages app, which will add the ability to send drawings, change message bubbles, replace words with emoji, use stickers, integrate third-party apps, and much more.

As seen in the video above, Messages on iOS 10 is essentially an entirely new experience, with new features found throughout. iMessage chats will become more expressive, with text bubbles that animate and move, and downloadable stickers that can be sent and stuck to images within the chat.

Messages will also gain rich links, allowing users to preview a link before tapping on it. And videos will play directly within Messages, without the need to launch a browser or separate app.

iOS 10 is now available to registered developers in a pre-release beta. Members of Apple's public beta program will be able to install the software in July, while iOS 10 will officially launch to the public this fall, likely in late September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    That is a substantial iMessage update.  Looks great  
    nolamacguylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    Video oops: The app is "Messages", not "Messenger". 

We'll let it go. : )
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I feel it's kinda dumb. We don't need balloons and shit.

Can I share my location like whatsapp? Now that's useful.

Anyway, appleinsider needs to focus on creating more professional videos. The entire left part of the frame shows a blurry background of trees and bushes. The iPhone screen is unreadable due reflection. The pace is slow and doesn't really get anywhere.
    edited June 2016 kissthename
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    dacloo said:

Anyway, appleinsider needs to focus on creating more professional videos. The entire left part of the frame shows a blurry background of trees and bushes. The iPhone screen is unreadable due reflection. The pace is slow and doesn't really get anywhere.

You must've missed the presentation... Not only can you share your current location, but if you receive a message from someone asking "Where are you?", Messages will automatically give you the option to send it.

Furthermore, Messages has been able to send map locations for a long time now. From the Maps app, click the share button, and you can send that location to other iMessage users.
    bobschlobpropodlolliverargonautjony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    dacloo said:

You don't need iOS10 to share your location inside Messages since that has been around since iOS8 (or if you didn't mind copy/pasting from maps, then even earlier.) Messages goes quite a bit further than whatsapp in location sharing as it gives you both the option to share your current location or allow the other party to follow your location live for preset amounts of time (1 hour, until the end of the day or indefinitely, which can be revoked of course.)
    nolamacguylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Lot’s of bitching out there that the new Messages app wasn’t released for Android as well. There’s this mentality out there that Apple should go all out cross-platform. In my opinion that would be the same as licensing the hardware and we all know how that worked out. If you want the iOS experience then get an iOS device. 
    edited June 2016 rogifan_newlolliverargonautjony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    dacloo said:

Well you're in luck because you'll be able to continue using iMessages the way you always have, and whoever wants to enjoy the new feature can do so. And I've been sharing locations on iMessage forever, so not sure what you're talking about. Generally speaking, I always wonder how many complaints regarding iOS involve people who simply don't know how to use it.
    nolamacguystevehjax44bobschlobjcs2305lolliverargonautjony0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    red oak said:
    That is a substantial iMessage update.  Looks great  
    I am amazed at all the people freaking out over the messages changes. I think they were fantastic and exactly what Apple needed to do to keep iMessage relevant. And for those that don't like the changes my assumption is you can still message the way you always have and don't have to use any of these new features.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    agreed -- new features look great. my family loves using emoji and will surely enjoy these other effects. 

youve already been able to send your location from within Messages for years.

the new extension hooks into Messages for developers look really cool.

...in short, theres absolutely no reason to piss & moan about this other than being a negative nancy hater with nothing better to do.
    lolliverargonautbrometheus
  • Reply 10 of 18
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

lkrupp said:
    Lot’s of bitching out there that the new Messages app wasn’t released for Android as well. There’s this mentality out there that Apple should go all out cross-platform. In my opinion that would be the same as licensing the hardware and we all know how that worked out. If you want the iOS experience then get an iOS device. 
    Yes, and it only makes sense to introduce this on iOS first with an option to go Android or the web if beneficial down the road. Most android users aren't going to switch to iPhone because of these iMessage changes but some might. So give them a reason to switch rather than making it easier to stay.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Seems like a lot of extra crap now that I would never use! I just don't get it with things like Stickers. Maybe it's just a younger generation thing. I had stickers as a kid, which I would stick onto real things. Then you become a teenager and who cares about stickers anymore after that. Hell,m a number of years before that. Fake virtual stickers? Where's the fun in that. I just was to quickly right or read a text without all the extra garbage. I know Apple is trying to throw everything into it to be like everyone else. I guess many like this crap. I just could care less. I think there's just so many far more important things I'd rather have that are of real use.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Would love to be able to search for key words within an iMessage thread. Still no way to do this?
    propodlolliverargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jbdragon said:
    Seems like a lot of extra crap now that I would never use! I just don't get it with things like Stickers. Maybe it's just a younger generation thing. I had stickers as a kid, which I would stick onto real things. Then you become a teenager and who cares about stickers anymore after that. Hell,m a number of years before that. Fake virtual stickers? Where's the fun in that. I just was to quickly right or read a text without all the extra garbage. I know Apple is trying to throw everything into it to be like everyone else. I guess many like this crap. I just could care less. I think there's just so many far more important things I'd rather have that are of real use.
    Yeah, well, it's definitely all about you, so... thanks for sharing.
    edited June 2016 nolamacguylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 18
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    I think iMessages should be a separate app from the SMS app. I get different SMS throughout the day from my bank, carrier, missed call notifications, spam, so it doesn't look as clean as what we see in promotions where your list is populated with your friends only. And what about groups? I'm in a few groups in WhatsApp with different friends or family or work, iMessages doesn't have that so why bother with 2 messaging apps when I can have it all in WhatsApp?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jbdragon said:

Are stickers the only change being made to iMessage? I watched the presentation, as well as the video here did you? There a few other very nice changes iMessage  besides the "Crap" that you don't like.

Also I hate to do it but.... "I could care less" means you actually have some interest in a subject. "I couldn't care less" is what I believe you were trying to say here. 

edited June 2016
  • Reply 16 of 18
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jbdragon said:
    Good thing is you can turn it off. I say, I love that Messages is fun again. I switched to Facebook Messages because I love the emojis there, but it looks like I am going back to Messages. However some parts of this beta 1 still need a lot polishing. Quick sketch is good, because sometimes image is better than 100 words. Animation can be better without too much in the face. May I also suggest SnapChat style of 'virtual dress up'.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mac'em x said:
    Video oops: The app is "Messages", not "Messenger". 

We'll let it go. : )
    Won't let it happen again. Thanks for letting me off the hook this time :)