Inside iOS 10: Upgraded QuickType wields 'Siri intelligence' for contextual suggestions

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple's newly released iOS 10 update features enhanced QuickType keyboard recommendations, which now go beyond suggesting the next best word to write, intelligently recommending dates, locations, contacts and more.

Thanks to what Apple calls "Siri intelligence," iOS 10 can analyze Messages content and glean if there's a specific kind of information a person is looking for. If someone you're talking to asks "where are you," for instance, QuickType will offer to share your current location.

If the person asks for someone's email address -- and gives enough cues -- QuickType can recommend one or more possible options from your contacts.

Similarly, the technology can help create new calendar events based on contextual clues. During its WWDC keynote, Apple used the example of a conversation in which the terms "dim sum," "Sunday," "11AM" and "101 Spear St." were detected and combined to allow creating a "Brunch" event, with time and address info already populated.

QuickType can also check for calendar availability, help fill in an address based on ones browsed in other apps, and look up terms it recognizes relating to things like movies and restaurants.

For some people, one of the most important additions may be the ability to use multiple languages in the same conversation. In iOS 9, trying to type in a language other than the system default will often result in QuickType trying to "fix" each word. iOS 10 makes it possible to use languages like English and Spanish in the same sentence.

Editor's note: This article was originally published in June following Apple's announcement of iOS 10 at WWDC 2016. It has been updated and republished to coincide with the mobile operating system's public release. For more on iOS 10, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Wow, I have long dreamed of contextual AI for writing.  We might see the end of its and it's being mixed up?  Perhaps it can correct run and ran and misuse of all irregular verbs and even go as far as knowing when we take and when we bring.  Could English grammar be saved? 
    edited June 2016 nolamacguylolliverwilliamlondoniqatedo
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Wow. I love this, not that I am lazy, but predictive context is much better than predictive word. It remains to see if Apple has improved Siri neural logic and fuzzy logic. Say, if I type: "Let's have coffee", it suggests the time is 'now', 'nearest coffee shop that is still open', and 'avoid cafe X even though it's the nearest' based on my historical preference. Even further, offer to "order" and "pay with apple pay" without opening apps like menulog.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 3 of 10
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Please could somebody explore multilingual typing that was mentioned on slide in keynote? It should change language without changing keyboard. How does it work and what languages are supported? Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That first screenshot made me wonder if the incoming bubbles were going away. Wonder why the image is so bleached?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    kevin kee said:
    Wow. I love this, not that I am lazy, but predictive context is much better than predictive word. It remains to see if Apple has improved Siri neural logic and fuzzy logic. Say, if I type: "Let's have coffee", it suggests the time is 'now', 'nearest coffee shop that is still open', and 'avoid cafe X even though it's the nearest' based on my historical preference. Even further, offer to "order" and "pay with apple pay" without opening apps like menulog.

Yeah predictive text is really just guessing at what word you may want. Predictive context being used to suggest a contact you may want to share, an address you may want to enter etc... will be much more useful.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    This is the right direction, but Siri can't be TOO eager to help, or it will become Clippy, or worse yet that annoying guy who wants so bad to be your bestie but frankly he just annoys you: "Let's do something, I've got ideas for us! How about the park! How about the grocery store!! There are three of them close to here!!! Or the library, you were there 27 hours ago, I know the way, lets go!! OK? OK?? Let's go!!!
    tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Does "Siri Intelligence" reside on the device or in the cloud?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Does anyone here use iOS10 on an iPhone 5? None of these features seems to work for me. No predictive emojis, no automatic response with location when someone asks me, no suggestions for contact details when someone asks, etc.

I tried searching for more info, but it does not seem to be available (or I don't know how to properly search).

The problem is, I don't know anyone who has an iPhone 5 and is on iOS 10!

Thanks and cheers
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
     That's all very nice but at the moment I have even trouble with Siri creating the most basic reminders. I don't know if it's only in Dutch but she completely misinterprets what I'm saying while she understands me perfectly.