Video: See Apple Maps in iOS 10 in action, with recommended stops along route & saved parked car lo

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Apple Maps is far more intelligent in iOS 10, recommending possible stops along your current route, allowing plug-ins from third-party applications, and even remembering where you parked your car when you're away from home. AppleInsider offers a closer look at how the update will change how you navigate.

Note: Distracted driving is dangerous. When using Maps to navigate, enter a destination on your phone before you hit the road.

For more, see iOS 10 Messages in action, complete with expressive text bubbles, new full-screen animations, larger emoji and more. And subscribe to the official AppleInsider channel on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Where is my car at the mall during Christmas shopping..now that works.

If you are drunk, it will lead you away from your car because it monitored all the visits to pubs/bars over the last few hours and will take you to a pickup location for that Uber it called for you... B)
    ewtheckmanmoreck
  • Reply 2 of 34
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Too bad that the street name (onto which you need to turn) is still in small font, and not very visible when phone is on stand on car dash.
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 34
    aricbaricb Posts: 27member
    That sounds nice and all except they forgot the explain how to tell the phone that i just parked my car in a spot that i might lose it in, say Mall of America parked on the 5th floor of the parking ramp. How is it going to know im on the 5th floor? And since there's probably no way to know, i wont be using this feature.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 34
    aricb said:
    That sounds nice and all except they forgot the explain how to tell the phone that i just parked my car in a spot that i might lose it in, say Mall of America parked on the 5th floor of the parking ramp. How is it going to know im on the 5th floor? And since there's probably no way to know, i wont be using this feature.
    That the only place you ever park?
    nolamacguylollivermoreckbeowulfschmidtjony0
  • Reply 5 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Still needs waze type features like rerouting around traffic and warnings about police. And it's crowd sourcing data for real-time traffic and accidents. Those are the best features in waze.

Waze also allows tracking people your traveling with.
    redraider11
  • Reply 6 of 34
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    icoco3 said:
    aricb said:
    That the only place you ever park?
    Apple is doomed!
    Rayz2016lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    aricb said:
    If you look hard enough there is always a negative, but to dismiss the as yet untested feature based on one possible future scenario where you imagine it will not work? Nuff said.
    edited June 2016 lkruppnolamacguyroundaboutnowlolliverjony0
  • Reply 8 of 34
    maestro64 said:
    Still needs waze type features like rerouting around traffic and warnings about police. And it's crowd sourcing data for real-time traffic and accidents. Those are the best features in waze.

Tracking others would be great when traveling in 2 cars in case you get split up.  The second car can find the first.
    redraider11lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 34
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    maestro64 said:

They have been crowd sourcing real-time traffic data for some time, even when you are not using maps.

nolamacguycreek0512lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 34
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    These iOS 10 updates are helpful - much needed improvements. I want to use Maps and will definitely try iOS 10 version, however, I agree they still have catchup to do with waze. Waze features like Police updates, robust re-routing, ability to see how long it will take at a future time to make a trip, larger/upto date database of businesses, better readability of the directions, ability to send ETA to friends as you start the trip which they can track and get updates automatically, are all valuable - easy to use. As much as I want to use Maps, I use Waze when I know I need to get somewhere ontime. It never lets me down. 
    Matt13
  • Reply 11 of 34
    maestro64 said:

Automatic re-routing around traffic and accidents is a must in order for me to consider switching away from Waze. Also estimated time in traffic is also nice. 
  • Reply 12 of 34
    smiffy31 said:
    maestro64 said:

They have been crowd sourcing real-time traffic data for some time, even when you are not using maps.

That's not what he's talking about. In Waze, people can actually report accidents, traffic, cops, etc. themselves so it lets other Wazers know what's going on. If enough people report an accident then Waze will suggest a different route on the fly if it finds a faster route around it. 
  • Reply 13 of 34
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    aricb said:
    tell Siri to record a memo or note of "fifth floor". 

problem solved, what do you want to whine next?
    roundaboutnowlolliverh2p
  • Reply 14 of 34
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? This video shows using this app while driving?!? That's worse than texting and an absolute disgrace that Appleinsider would even post it. In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. Now they are illustrating distracted driving for us with not a care of other drivers safety. Why in the name of God would this website promote it?
    slprescottcoolfactormobiuslolliverh2p
  • Reply 15 of 34
    How about first fixing the core things like updating maps. Atlanta maps are still 4 year old and it still sows the destinations like 2 miles ahead of where they are.
    icoco3
  • Reply 16 of 34
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    appleluvr said:
    This video shows using this app while driving?!? That's worse than texting and an absolute disgrace that Appleinsider would even post it.
    Agree.  AI, please try not to promote videos showing dangerous and illegal behavior.

Other than that, I did enjoy seeing the features in action.  Just show a PASSENGER holding th phone.
    roundaboutnowmobiusappleluvrlolliver
  • Reply 17 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Absolutely TERRIBLE move by AppleInsider showing Apple Maps being operated on an iPhone by a driver while the vehicle is in motion!

Distracted driving is now the #1 cause of fatalities. You have a responsibility to not promote this!

EDIT: I doubt that AppleInsider will remove this posting. Ad revenue will trump safety, but at the very least, I hope they put a bold response that distracted driving is very dangerous, and AppleInsider apologies about the misguided production of this video.
    edited June 2016 mobiusappleluvrlolliver
  • Reply 18 of 34
    appleluvr said:
    This video shows using this app while driving?!? That's worse than texting and an absolute disgrace that Appleinsider would even post it.
    Agree.  AI, please try not to promote videos showing dangerous and illegal behavior.

Other than that, I did enjoy seeing the features in action.  Just show a PASSENGER holding th phone.
    I too enjoyed the video, but was also concerned about the part showing use while driving. I thought it was funny when the Google map app was deleted though.

(I will keep Google's app for the time being -- I bounce around between Apple, Google, HERE, and Waze just to compare how they all work. Sometimes I use Gas Buddy and Parking Spot apps too, but it looks like I will be checking out the others less and less when the Apple update arrives).
    edited June 2016 appleluvrlolliver
  • Reply 19 of 34
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I agree with others that this website should not promote the dangerous habit of driving whilst using your smartphone. Pretty shocking actually. Lives are precious. No, this is not an over-reaction.

But thanks for the other useful info.
    appleluvrcoolfactorlolliver
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I wonder when/if Apple maps might incorporate indoor navigation as described in this AI article a few months back:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/02/apple-indoor-positioning-app-indoor-survey-spotted-on-ios-app-store