iOS 10 beta offers 'dark mode' for Messages, may hint at broader adoption

Posted:
in iPhone
The iOS 10 version of Messages appears to contain a hidden "dark mode" option, potentially backing up hints that such a feature will go system-wide, or at least come to other iOS apps beyond ones like iBooks.

There appears to be a way of turning on the setting in Messages when running an iOS 10 simulation on a Mac, developer Andrew Wiik noted on Twitter. He added that he doesn't think Apple is finished with the technology, although in its current state it's still said to be "app wide."

Earlier this week, a number of AppleInsider readers observed that asking Siri to turn on "dark mode" resulted in the voice assistant saying that it's "not able to change that setting," instead of offering a more generic response like "I don't understand."

If Apple is planning to make dark mode a feature in Messages or elsewhere in iOS 10, it will presumably activate it in later betas, much as it did with Night Shift in iOS 9.3.

Whereas Night Shift simply skews iOS device screens to warmer tones, a true dark mode would reduce eye strain at night -- or in dim rooms -- by turning white backgrounds black, and darkening or inverting other interface elements as needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    So they couldn't have done a better screenshot than "Hey Loser"?

I'm honestly surprised that dark mode is not everywhere in iOS with this release.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I suspect it might behave more like iOS maps use of dark mode and less like OS X's screen preference.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Dark grey for dark mode (as in the IMDb app or Apple TV) is nicer than black IMO. I find black more cutting to my eyes with lighter text on it and grey is more useable for day and night. I never change the IMDb app from dark and like it that way. Dark grey also looks more classy than black for this use for some of the reasons I've mentioned.
    edited June 2016 moreck
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sog35 said:
    Blacks take alot of energy for a LCD screen.
    That hasn't been true of LCDs for years. Lots of conflicting reporting on this matter. Whatever the truth an amoled can consume 41% less power over an LCD display in dark mode. Should be interesting to see how far people can stretch their iPhone 7 battery in dark mode with an amoled display—yes, this year's iPhone I believe will stick to the 6 nomenclature. iPhone 6x anyone?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    OLED here we come for iPhone7

iPhone 7 
    No physical home button
    Small bezel
    OLED screen
    All Glass body
    Waterproof

Everyone thinks iPhone8 will have these features. Nope. This will happen with iPhone7 and will catch everyone of guard
    Youre funny.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sog35 said:

iPhone 7 
    No physical home button
    Small bezel
    OLED screen
    All Glass body
    Waterproof

Everyone thinks iPhone8 will have these features. Nope. This will happen with iPhone7 and will catch everyone of guard
    Youre funny.
    He's a comedian.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    If "dark mode" is coming I just hope I can turn it off, I find nothing more annoying and difficult than reading fine white text of a dark background. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sog35 said:

iPhone 7 
    No physical home button
    Small bezel
    OLED screen
    All Glass body
    Waterproof

Well I get Dark Mode I would assume be useful on a OLED screen as black parts of the screen would use no power, and is why the Apple Watch screens are mostly black as that's a OLED screen. On the other hand I LIKE the real home button. It's used for a number of things and I'm glad it's NOT part of the screen as that just wastes screen space for one thing. I really don't get this at all. I also really don't have a problem with the Bezel. It's a place I can actually grab onto the phone without my fingers all over it. I really don't want the iPhone to look like any number of Android phones. The Home button is a iPhone icon. A all glass body, really? Talking about a phone you'll be having a easy time cracking. Waterproof? Again not a big deal. I'm not dropping my phone into a lake or toilet. I don't see any of this stuff happening with the iPhone 7. Maybe some like the OLED screen for the iPhone 7S. I really don't worry to much about it until Apple says something. I just enjoy what I currently have.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wish the interface of iOS was dark to begin with (with the option to make it white). I find it looks better and is far easier on your eyes. I wish they'd do the same with macOS too beyond making the menu bar and dock dark. Finder windows, application windows, etc should also be dark with the option to make them light.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I remember my 3g iPhone back in the day and I bought the TomTom GPS app...$30 (reg. $59). Most expensive app I ever bought...but I really liked it and I liked that the screen changed automatically at night to a blue background from the usual tan and green during the day. Pretty cool.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    So they couldn't have done a better screenshot than "Hey Loser"?

I'm honestly surprised that dark mode is not everywhere in iOS with this release.
    I rather liked the Hey loser message. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    sog35 said:
    While I'd like to believe this, there was a report last month about a major uptick in orders for OLED-manufacturing equipment.

Based on the lead times to deliver that equiupment, an order of equipment this year is most likely for OLED finished-product delivery next year.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    london11london11 Posts: 62member
    You know which app needs a dark mode badly? Music.
    It's still ugly.   Spotify gets it right.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    nice. I love dark themes. much more cosy