Inside iOS 10: Photos Memories will generate slideshow movies automatically

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
The revamped Photos app in iOS 10 app includes a new Memories tab, which not only groups photos into events automatically but creates customizable slideshow movies for them.

The auto-generated clips can be found by tapping on an event's album. Each mixes together photos and video, and is edited with pans and transitions set to a stock soundtrack. iOS picks out the album content it considers significant.

Unique to Apple's app are two settings sliders which will re-edit the movie without any further input. On a basic level, people can choose to make a clip short, medium-length, or long, with medium being the default.

There are also several soundtrack options, ranging from choices like "Dreamy" and "Chill" through to "Club" and "Extreme." Switching between soundtracks will also re-edit a movie to match the music's pace and tone.

As with any other content in Photos, slideshow movies can be shared with friends and family.

Auto-generated movies can also be created elsewhere in the Photos app, including the People and Places folders located in the Albums tab. If enough photos are taken in a single location, you can also tap on that location in the main Photos tab to see a movie option.

To customize a video, tap on it to create one, then tap again to bring up the options at the bottom of the screen. In the bottom right corner is an advanced editing option --?tap it and agree to add the video to Memories to bring up options for the video's title, duration, and which photos are included.

Additionally, a Music option allows users to select from built-in soundtracks, or to choose a song from their iPhone's music library. When finished, tap done, then choose the Share Sheet button in the bottom left to save the video, send it as a Message, email it, upload to Dropbox, or any other option available in iOS.

Editor's note: This article was originally published in June following Apple's announcement of iOS 10 at WWDC 2016. It has been updated and republished to coincide with the mobile operating system's public release. For more on iOS 10, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10.
lilsmirky

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    A much-deserved feature, that plenty of competitors out there have already implemented in their own way. Can't wait to try it out.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 23
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    If what it's done to my Photos (and yes, it's beta 1 etc etc ) is a mark of its capabilities, then Google Photos remains leaps and bounds ahead. It really is very basic.
    lilsmirky
  • Reply 3 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This feature kinda spooks me. I am sure it will be fine but the idea that an algorithm will mess with my memories of an event by presenting a version of that event is kind of freaky. Will it always present a kind of generic (and sanitized) view? I am guessing 'yes'.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Do you think Apple has ever considered adding a photo caption feature for both the Mac and iOS Photos apps? Seems to me people would like to be able to put some text on their photos.

edited June 2016 slprescottlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I might use this feature for images from a vacation, but 90% of my photos are just random pictures from around the house and garden or the office.
    welshdogmike1
  • Reply 6 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Are they gonna bring back drag-n-drop to iPhoto? I have to export them and then open them in PS, not long ago I used to just drag them from iPhoto onto the Photoshop icon and boom!
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Hopefully can turn it off.  My pocket cam had this feature years ago.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Are they gonna bring back drag-n-drop to iPhoto? I have to export them and then open them in PS, not long ago I used to just drag them from iPhoto onto the Photoshop icon and boom!
    Funny you should mention that - I just found this extension for Photos in the App Store: Exernal Editors for Photos.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/external-editors-for-photos/id1074021862?mt=12

It lets you send a pic from Photos to your favorite editor (say PS for example).   You can then save the changed pic back to Photos.  It even lets you revert to original.  I'm fairly impressed.  There is a video n the developers site that shows it in action.  http://externaleditorsforphotos.tumblr.com/screencast

netrox
  • Reply 9 of 23
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Since you've got Photos and Photoshop, get something like the "External Editors" Photos extension from the Mac App Store.

Once you have it set up, press "Edit" in Photos, select "External Editors", and it pops up a list of all the applications on your Mac that can edit images. If you add/delete applications on that Mac, the list reflects those changes; you don't have to reconfigure things to add or remove to/from the list.

Select Photoshop (or whatever) from the list, and you're off.
    welshdog
  • Reply 10 of 23
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    I was messing with this last night. I think it works pretty well and is pretty fast on an A9. Automatically, groups your "Memories" based on date and location, then allows you to remove individual pictures/videos that don't work well in the video. You can then export the movie and send it to people.
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 23
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    creek0512 said:
    I was messing with this last night. I think it works pretty well and is pretty fast on an A9. Automatically, groups your "Memories" based on date and location, then allows you to remove individual pictures/videos that don't work well in the video. You can then export the movie and send it to people.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would allow for any form of manual editing. Being able to remove certain videos/photos will come in handy. Several of the auto editing apps I've used allow for this. Without it you can end up with a video that's OK but not worth sharing.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I wonder if macOS Sierra's Photos can too?  I've had it a while but still discovering new features.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I wonder if macOS Sierra's Photos can too?  I've had it a while but still discovering new features.
    Yes, though it's not as obvious in Sierra for some reason. Select the Memories menu in Photos, then choose a memory, and select the Play icon at the top of the app. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be as customizable in Sierra as it is in iOS — while you select a theme or choose music, other options like length or elimination (or addition) of specific photos are not available in the slideshow mode. In fact, I don't even see a way to export the slideshow video. Kind of a strange, half-baked feature. Didn't even realize it was there until you asked and I checked.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Lovelly Jubbly.
    All well and good and all that.
    Just a simple question.

But how do I get pictures from other sources (eg DSLR) onto my iPad so that they can be put into a slideshow?
    It was possible with old versions of iTunes but recent ones don't see to have the ability to transfer pictures TO an iDevice that are not in the Photos App?

I guess it is a case of Apple giveth and Apple Taketh away.

• Reply 15 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Please give me the option to NOT have my "photos grouped into events automatically". Just need the camera roll, thank you. I already turn off location for the camera.
    Guess I'll find out this weekend when I update all my devices.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Lovelly Jubbly.
    All well and good and all that.
    Just a simple question.

But how do I get pictures from other sources (eg DSLR) onto my iPad so that they can be put into a slideshow?
    It was possible with old versions of iTunes but recent ones don't see to have the ability to transfer pictures TO an iDevice that are not in the Photos App?

I guess it is a case of Apple giveth and Apple Taketh away.

What I do for this, is to use iCloud Photos. I upload my DSLR photos to the Photos, and it creates those photos in the Memories. 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quick and cool. However, here's a wish for two things: 1) Let me choose the thumbnail slide and 2) Let me rearrange the sequence. That would be even more impressive.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    nhughes said:
    Yes, though it's not as obvious in Sierra for some reason. Select the Memories menu in Photos, then choose a memory, and select the Play icon at the top of the app. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be as customizable in Sierra as it is in iOS — while you select a theme or choose music, other options like length or elimination (or addition) of specific photos are not available in the slideshow mode. In fact, I don't even see a way to export the slideshow video. Kind of a strange, half-baked feature. Didn't even realize it was there until you asked and I checked.
    Thanks for checking.  It does seem half baked.  The iOS and macOS team should try to keep consistency as far as possible IMHO, if we switch between a Mac and an iPhone/iPad we shouldn't have to learn two different methods in the same app to accomplish the same thing, even allowing for the difference in touch and mouse.  Tim are you listening?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 19 of 23
    wdowell said:
    If what it's done to my Photos (and yes, it's beta 1 etc etc ) is a mark of its capabilities, then Google Photos remains leaps and bounds ahead. It really is very basic.
    Stop smoking crappy weed. I'm staring at Google Photos. It's nothing to brag about. Edit (Light,Color,Pop,Vignette), Color Filters, Rotate are all basic. I have 95% of that with GNOME Photos and soon will dwarf those features with the upcoming GIMP 2.10 and GEGL finally being fully OpenCL enabled.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    nhughes said:
    Thanks for checking.  It does seem half baked.  The iOS and macOS team should try to keep consistency as far as possible IMHO, if we switch between a Mac and an iPhone/iPad we shouldn't have to learn two different methods in the same app to accomplish the same thing, even allowing for the difference in touch and mouse.  Tim are you listening?
    if you believe anyone from apple monitors this den of bickering you're sorely mistaken. 
    watto_cobra