Video: See Apple Maps in iOS 10 in action, with recommended stops along route & saved parked car lo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    mobius said:
    I agree with others that this website should not promote the dangerous habit of driving whilst using your smartphone. Pretty shocking actually. Lives are precious. No, this is not an over-reaction.

But thanks for the other useful info.

Just think of the risk that AppleInsider was taking when recording this video. Unbelievable how this made it past the Editor's desk without any thought about the consequences.
    appleluvr
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Bad, bad, bad!! You are showing the driver thumbing through the app with one hand while at the same time driving the car!? Are you trying to get everyone killed?
    coolfactorappleluvr
  • Reply 23 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    mackymoto said:
    Bad, bad, bad!! You are showing the driver thumbing through the app with one hand while at the same time driving the car!? Are you trying to get everyone killed?

Complete silence and inaction from AppleInsider despite several complaints about the video posted here. I wonder if this is one of those situations where they think that they are a "good driver" and would never get into an accident? Or maybe they think that a "video can not kill people". Either way, this entire article and the lack of a prompt response to the complaints here and elsewhere is enough to push me to never visit AppleInsider again. I expect much better from one of my favourite online publications, but maybe that's the problem.

edited June 2016 appleluvrmobius
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mackymoto said:

Complete silence and inaction from AppleInsider despite several complaints about the video posted here. I wonder if this is one of those situations where they think that they are a "good driver" and would never get into an accident? Or maybe they think that a "video can not kill people". Either way, this entire article and the lack of a prompt response to the complaints here and elsewhere is enough to push me to never visit AppleInsider again. I expect much better from one of my favourite online publications, but maybe that's the problem.

Yes. it is shocking to say the least. But it is also a potential legal issue if the state where this was recorded has a statute against using your cell phone while driving. It's unbelievable that this is still up. Stubborn, immune to comments, or too proud of their own work? 
    mobius
  • Reply 25 of 34
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    maestro64 said:
    Still needs waze type features like rerouting around traffic... the best features in waze.
    I was suprise last week when a re-routing warning popped up on my iPhone6. Something like "Traffic ahead. This route will save you 17 minutes." Even though I was flying along very well, Maps did show the freeway a mile or two around the bend was jammed with a red dotted traffic line.

I took a chance on the new route -- tapped the warning bar at top of Apple Maps. It was via a minor highway and city streets. Was very thankful for the new feature. Got to the Dr. appt early.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    aricb said:
    That sounds nice and all except they forgot the explain how to tell the phone that i just parked my car in a spot that i might lose it in, say Mall of America parked on the 5th floor of the parking ramp. How is it going to know im on the 5th floor? And since there's probably no way to know, i wont be using this feature.
    It's up to you to remember what floor you parked on, genius.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    I reported this to the NHTSA and also the M.A.T.T., and will find a few more when I find time. Did anyone capture which state this was recorded in? It's a little blurry. If you can make it out, maybe from the trip to the HomeDepot on the Maos program, I'll report it to the state. This is serious stuff and should have never passed the Editor.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    aricb: Can't you remember 5th floor? If not the compass already has an elevation, that should help you find your car. Maybe Apple has put that feature in maps.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I am looking forward to the new maps.  It will eliminate a couple other apps I use to do what it will do.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 30 of 34
    maestro64 said:
    Still needs waze type features like rerouting around traffic and warnings about police. And it's crowd sourcing data for real-time traffic and accidents. Those are the best features in waze.

Waze also allows tracking people your traveling with.
    In the keynote they specifically call out that you can see the route ahead showing traffic conditions and Maps will give you the option to re-route around slower traffic. Eddy says, "If there's a lot of traffic ahead, Maps will proactively give you alternate routes and tell you how much time it will save".  They didn't mention anything regarding warnings about police, and I figure that's something they won't support directly.  However, at the end of the Maps presentation it is mentioned that they are opening Maps up to developers with Map extensions, maybe there will be one to report where the police are.

If you watch the keynote the Maps presentation starts around the 1 hour 6 minute mark.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Do they have lane guidance yet? That's the one thing I really like in Google Maps that neither Waze nor Apple Maps have had so far, it seems. It can really help to know how many lanes are turning right at a given intersection, especially with weird ones where 3 turn right and 1 turns left.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    @AI_lias. "Too bad that the street name (onto which you need to turn) is still in small font, and not very visible when phone is on stand on car dash." Exactly. Maps is usless on a trip because the screen is unreadable mounted on the dash. Also, the voice prompts quit after I leave my driveway in IOS9, so I will have to see what 10 does. Note that the voice prompt could overcome some of the failures of the unreadable font, but not if it doesn’t work!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    aricb said:
    That sounds nice and all except they forgot the explain how to tell the phone that i just parked my car in a spot that i might lose it in, say Mall of America parked on the 5th floor of the parking ramp. How is it going to know im on the 5th floor? And since there's probably no way to know, i wont be using this feature.

Do you have GPS reception in that parking ramp? With all that concrete and steel, probably not, and there's nothing Apple can do about it. Just use Notes to write down your space number, or send send yourself an email, or use a voice recorder app. 

• Reply 34 of 34

appleluvr said:
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? This video shows using this app while driving?!? That's worse than texting and an absolute disgrace that Appleinsider would even post it. In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. Now they are illustrating distracted driving for us with not a care of other drivers safety. Why in the name of God would this website promote it?
    Just curious -- do you want me to tell my pilots to stop using GPS while they're flying?

Not knowing where you're going while driving can be a distraction, too. Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember, but in the old days, people used to fumble with paper maps while driving. Trying folding a roadmap some time with one hand, and see how much of a distraction that is.