Apple douses rumor of impending iMessage release for Android

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
Apple recently poured cold water on rumors claiming iMessage would see introduction on Google's Android platform, potentially at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference, saying the messaging service is worth more as an exclusive first-party feature.

Citing an unnamed senior Apple executive, Re/code's Walt Mossberg reports the company has no intention of expanding iMessage or the Messages app beyond its own ecosystem, at least not anytime soon.

Apple said an expansion of services is not necessary because its user base of one billion active devices is large enough to support ongoing studies into artificial intelligence, a relatively new area of focus for the company.

During Monday's WWDC keynote, SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi revealed work on a method of gathering data from users without infringing on their privacy. Called differential privacy, the method uses hashing, subsampling and noise injection to gain insight into mass trends, but keep individual user data anonymized. Federighi said the information gleaned from the process might be applied to QuickType recommendations, for example.

The unnamed executive also said keeping iMessage an Apple exclusive helps boost sales of supporting devices, which in turn promotes platform stickiness. As Mossberg noted, Apple has seen great success in marketing proprietary hardware and software integrations competitors are unable to match. With the exception of revenue generating services like iTunes and Apple Music, releasing a product like Messages for Android could undermine those efforts.

Perhaps wishful thinking on the part of have-nots, Apple has for years been rumored to launch iMessage services on non-Apple operating systems. Speculation of an impending release for Android resurfaced earlier this month ahead of WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's a pain in the butt. I think Apple are thinking wrong here. iMessage not being cross-platform significantly lessens my iPhone enjoyment and experience.
    jacob1vargheseppietrasirlance99singularitywilliamlondonxamaxtimborama
  • Reply 2 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If people want the full iPhone and Messages experience, they should get an iPhone. Having 100s of millions more Messages users placing a strain on Apple's servers for no financial gain doesn't make sense, IMO.
    mwhiteapplesauce007macseekertdknoxTomEmdriftmeyerchialollivertallest skilbrucemc
  • Reply 3 of 58
    ireland said:
    It's a pain in the butt. I think Apple are thinking wrong here. iMessage not being cross-platform significantly lessens my iPhone enjoyment and experience.
    Exactly!  I want to be able to engage my friends using other platforms within iMessage.  
    Today, I'm forced to go elsewhere - Whatsapp, Telegram....

irelandppietrasirlance99singularitywilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There's no financial incentive. The features of iMessage require Xcode and selling stickers is probably not lucrative enough to strengthen the competition's offerings.
    mwhitemdriftmeyerchialollivermac_dogjony0
  • Reply 5 of 58
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    this logic worked in the last few years when most people were still using sms services to send messages, something that works cross-platform making it possible to use the program frequently with any contact. 
    But that is changing. More and more people are using alternatives to sms, which means that Apple’s program is no longer a viable solution for many contacts and it will only get worse if Apple doesn’t go cross-platform. It becomes inconsequent if people stop using it frequently, there will be no stickiness, quite the opposite, it will become frustrating. 
    How is it possible that Apple doesn’t see that?
    sirlance99ireland
  • Reply 6 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    One word: duh.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 58
    If people want the full iPhone and Messages experience, they should get an iPhone. Having 100s of millions more Messages users placing a strain on Apple's servers for no financial gain doesn't make sense, IMO.
    I agree. Free iMessage is worth much more as an exclusive on iOS. Paid subscription Apple Music on the other hand is a different story.
    edited June 2016 tdknoxcornchiplolliverai46jony0
  • Reply 8 of 58
    There's no financial incentive. The features of iMessage require Xcode and selling stickers is probably not lucrative enough to strengthen the competition's offerings.
    If Apple doesn’t do it in a few years there will be no financial incentive for Apple to keep iMessage because almost no one will see any advantage from having it on any Apple hardware.
    At least if they tried to go cross-platform they could get other people to notice Apple’s ecosystem advantage through integration, and they could get some financial reward through something like Apple Pay for money transfer or services payments inside Messages.
    ireland
  • Reply 9 of 58

I suspect that when the new iPhone is announced later this year, iMessage will have a significant enhancement -- available to current iPhones, but best exploited by the latest iPhone ...

Waiting for the other iMessage shoe to drop!

bobcat62ai46
  • Reply 10 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I do want the full iPhone and Messages experience, and I did get an iPhone.  But a few of my friends are holdouts for various reasons, so I don't get that full experience.  As a user, already in Apple's ecosystem, it would've been nice to see that experience expand.

Oh well, WhatsApp stays on my iPhone then.
    ppietraireland
  • Reply 11 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ppietra said:
    this logic worked in the last few years when most people were still using sms services to send messages, something that works cross-platform making it possible to use the program frequently with any contact. 
    But that is changing. More and more people are using alternatives to sms, which means that Apple’s program is no longer a viable solution for many contacts and it will only get worse if Apple doesn’t go cross-platform. It becomes inconsequent if people stop using it frequently, there will be no stickiness, quite the opposite, it will become frustrating. 

I disagree. While most people used SMS, there were many alternatives, including AIM, Yahoo, Skype, etc. That were and still are cross-platform. Just as WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook are today. These are all still cross-platform and still work on iPhone. So there's no reason why Apple has to worry about user leaving their platform.

People seem to have missed just what Apple is doing... They've made Messages extensible ... which opens the door in the future to possibly support 3rd party messaging protocols. On the Mac, Messages allows me to chat via Yahoo, AIM, Jabber, iMessage ... and even text via Continuity through my iPhone. Kim, WhatsApp, Facebook etc, could all very well build iMessage apps to support their protocols.
    chialolliverbobcat62ai46
  • Reply 12 of 58
    You gotta pay to play.  Apple isn't in the business of handing out free lunch.
    lolliverai46SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Meh.

If you want to send a message to a friend without using SMS you can just use Siri, since they opened it up to messaging Apps.
    lolliverai46
  • Reply 14 of 58
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Well, if that's how they think then iMessage and Facetime are doomed then. And I'm not being sarcastic. That is a classic "Apple of the 90's" point of view. Communication services/apps as more open the better. People wants a service to talk to everybody, there's zero positive points in closing the garden on this respect. Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger and Telegram are really happy to hear that.
    edited June 2016 Michael Karessingularityxamax
  • Reply 15 of 58

I suspect that when the new iPhone is announced later this year, iMessage will have a significant enhancement -- available to current iPhones, but best exploited by the latest iPhone ...

Waiting for the other iMessage shoe to drop!

I'm thinking the other shoe will be an Windows 10 iMessage App, to lock down the Corporate world (iPhone+iPad+Watch+Mac+Win10PC)
    I don't think Corp America would stop buying Macs if iMessage was on a PC, but I do think it would lock down corporate sales and encourage productivity apps to integrate iMessage into their workflows vs the landscape of Skype/Slack/Jabber/Spark/Lync 
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mjtomlin said:
    ppietra said:

I disagree. While most people used SMS, there were many alternatives, including AIM, Yahoo, Skype, etc. That were and still are cross-platform. Just as WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook are today. These are all still cross-platform and still work on iPhone. So there's no reason why Apple has to worry about user leaving their platform.

People seem to have missed just what Apple is doing... They've made Messages extensible ... which opens the door in the future to possibly support 3rd party messaging protocols. On the Mac, Messages allows me to chat via Yahoo, AIM, Jabber, iMessage ... and even text via Continuity through my iPhone. Kim, WhatsApp, Facebook etc, could all very well build iMessage apps to support their protocols.
    can’t you see that those alternatives you mentioned were PC centric? even then they tried to have some sort of cross-comunication between messaging platforms.
     We are in the age of the smartphone with new social habits. SMS is losing ground rapidly for obvious reasons and Apple can’t count on SMS as a conduit for cross platform communication for much longer. People will choose something that enables easy communication with most contacts and Messages won’t be it because 60-80% are on another platform.   
    From what I understand iMessage extensions weren’t thought for that kind of functionality, they are supposed to work on established communications through iMessage, not to enable new messaging protocols.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ireland said:
    Exactly!  I want to be able to engage my friends using other platforms within iMessage.  
    Today, I'm forced to go elsewhere - Whatsapp, Telegram....

There's something called provider's SMS, a green buble! Big deal!
    mike1ai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

ppietra said:
    If Apple doesn’t do it in a few years there will be no financial incentive for Apple to keep iMessage because almost no one will see any advantage from having it on any Apple hardware.
    At least if they tried to go cross-platform they could get other people to notice Apple’s ecosystem advantage through integration, and they could get some financial reward through something like Apple Pay for money transfer or services payments inside Messages.
    Wrong! The reason iMessage preferred is security. Fck all other message apps which I never trust to send my sensitive attachments or info!
    nolamacguylatifbp
  • Reply 19 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Maybe it's a wishful thinking, but I thought I read once that a forthcoming update would allow group messages to keep iMessage for those with Apple devices and only send SMS to the greenies, not everybody.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    mike1 said:
    Maybe it's a wishful thinking, but I thought I read once that a forthcoming update would allow group messages to keep iMessage for those with Apple devices and only send SMS to the greenies, not everybody.

I must be missing something but, isn't that how it works now? Our family "group" includes both iPhone and non iPhone users Yet, we are all able to message each other via iMessage and/or SMS. Only those without an iPhone show up with a green bubble.