E3 2016: Square Enix announces Deus Ex Go for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
At E3 this week Square Enix announced plans to bring hit stealth action franchise Deus Ex to iOS as part of its "Go" series of mobile games, and AppleInsider was on hand check out an early version running on iPad.

As seen above, players familiar with other "Go" games will feel right at home with the turn-based action featured in Deus Ex Go, while gameplay elements like Praxis augmentations, hacking and stealth takedowns inject big doses of Deus Ex flair.

Created by Square Enix Montreal, the mobile side story puts players in the shoes of augmented protagonist Adam Jensen, who was introduced in the third franchise installment Deus Ex: Human Revolution in 2011. Jensen is set to star in the follow-up console and PC release Deus Ex: Mankind Divided this August.

Like other "Go" titles, the forthcoming iOS version of Deus Ex is more cerebral than its console counterparts. Instead of roaming through a 3D world, gun in hand and Praxis Kits installed, players are bound to 2D puzzle boards. But "Go's" turn-based mechanics, clever map design and backstory should keep things exciting as players traverse through multiple levels of gameplay.

Square Enix has not announced a release date for Deus Ex Go.

In related news, Square Enix recently won a coveted Apple Design Award at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday for its work on Lara Croft Go. The title was also selected as Apple's iPhone Game of the Year in 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    well lara croft go won an award didn't it? so this can't be too bad
  • Reply 2 of 6
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    The "Go" series has been awesome. Loved b Fu Hitman & Lara Croft. Definetly looking forward to this one. Would love to see these games come to Apple TV. Selection has been lacking lately. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Meh, the other version of Deus Ex for iOS was better. I'm not a fan of turn based games I prefer real time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I really enjoy Lara Croft GO! This looks very cool, although that video doesn't seem like the best gameplay showcase.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    That clips makes it look repetitive & boring. The opponents don’t react to being attacked & it’s just a matter of tapping furiously. A game that requires no skill is as fun as a treadmill. If the game like that didn’t use a popular franchise in its name, I doubt it would get any coverage at all.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 6
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Hmmm.... reminds me of...

CHEESE.