Apple douses rumor of impending iMessage release for Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    tbsteph said:
    mike1 said:
    Maybe it's a wishful thinking, but I thought I read once that a forthcoming update would allow group messages to keep iMessage for those with Apple devices and only send SMS to the greenies, not everybody.

I must be missing something but, isn't that how it works now? Our family "group" includes both iPhone and non iPhone users Yet, we are all able to message each other via iMessage and/or SMS. Only those without an iPhone show up with a green bubble.
    I have a group message with 6 people and all but 1 have iPhones, and it only uses SMS.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Does an Android version have to be all or nothing? Perhaps a degraded version that allows the users just enough of the fun effects to SEND, but will only experience the more impressive effects when received FROM iphone users, such as full background effects, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 58

I suspect that when the new iPhone is announced later this year, iMessage will have a significant enhancement -- available to current iPhones, but best exploited by the latest iPhone ...

Waiting for the other iMessage shoe to drop!

I'm thinking the other shoe will be an Windows 10 iMessage App, to lock down the Corporate world (iPhone+iPad+Watch+Mac+Win10PC)
    I don't think Corp America would stop buying Macs if iMessage was on a PC, but I do think it would lock down corporate sales and encourage productivity apps to integrate iMessage into their workflows vs the landscape of Skype/Slack/Jabber/Spark/Lync 
    Very good point!

That would certainly [help] the enterprise aspect, and at little cost [in Macs] to the enterprise customers.  In fact, it should increase iDevice sales to enterprise.

But, there is a very large consumer social aspect to a significantly enhanced iMessage.

• Reply 24 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley said:
    If people want the full iPhone and Messages experience, they should get an iPhone. Having 100s of millions more Messages users placing a strain on Apple's servers for no financial gain doesn't make sense, IMO.
    I do want the full iPhone and Messages experience, and I did get an iPhone.  But a few of my friends are holdouts for various reasons, so I don't get that full experience.  As a user, already in Apple's ecosystem, it would've been nice to see that experience expand.

Oh well, WhatsApp stays on my iPhone then.
    And how does iMessage on Android help Apple?
    tallest skilai46
  • Reply 25 of 58
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Duh. 

This is beyond a no brainier. 
    ai46
  • Reply 26 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jungmark said:
    crowley said:
    I do want the full iPhone and Messages experience, and I did get an iPhone.  But a few of my friends are holdouts for various reasons, so I don't get that full experience.  As a user, already in Apple's ecosystem, it would've been nice to see that experience expand.

Did I not just describe how it would make me, an Apple customer, delighted?  Isn't that what Apple are always saying is their core principle?

Beyond that is Apple's problem.  Monetised stickers, halo effect, whatever.
    ireland
  • Reply 27 of 58
    willizenwillizen Posts: 18member
    I think that a lot of people miss the point that not having imessage cross platform actually degrades the experience for iPhone users. When you have friends and family on Android and they can't use imessage with you, that impairs your experience as an iPhone user. So going cross platform actually improves the experience for existing iPhone users. That is something that no one talks about. Not to mention that imessage is the default for iPhone users, so the only way to gain imessage users is to convince more people to switch to  iphone, which really isn't happening. 
    irelandppietrakissthename
  • Reply 28 of 58
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    jungmark said:
    crowley said:

Sure helped Apple when they open up the iPod to Windows?
    singularity
  • Reply 29 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    staticx57 said:
    Having nothing to do with this situation. How does giving Android users something for free sell Apple hardware? Sell Apple ANYTHING?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 30 of 58
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    staticx57 said:
    Having nothing to do with this situation. How does giving Android users something for free sell Apple hardware? Sell Apple ANYTHING?
    It helps Apple users use iMessage exclusively so we don't have to rely on other platforms. Apple doesn't have 100% market share, nor is iMessage a standard. I have a few friends and family who are not iPhone users, and it gets more annoying in groups because that non iPhone user can't join us in a group. So yes iMessage on other platforms either as a standalone app or a standard to integrate into other apps ensures Apple users continue to use iMessage.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    staticx57 said:
    jungmark said:
    Right because you needed a computer to sync anything to an iPod, and most people had Windows computers. Also it opened the iTunes Store up to more people. All of this increased iPod and iTunes music sales.

I suppose Apple could charge for iMessage on Android or make it a really crappy experience for everyone by having developers charge users for sticker packs and anything else they bring to iMessage (which Apple would get a cut of). But the last thing I want is to have to spend money for iMessage to be a great experience just so it can be "cross-platform".
  • Reply 32 of 58
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    ireland said:
    It's a pain in the butt. I think Apple are thinking wrong here. iMessage not being cross-platform significantly lessens my iPhone enjoyment and experience.
    Exactly!  I want to be able to engage my friends using other platforms within iMessage.  
    Today, I'm forced to go elsewhere - Whatsapp, Telegram....

If Android's stock messaging app was any good, people wouldn't be using Whatsapp, telegram or others. It's not Apple's responsibility to compensate for Google's shortcomings.
    ai46Rayz2016
  • Reply 33 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    simply258 said:
    ...ensures Apple users continue to use iMessage.
    Implying they wouldn’t? There’s no platform to whom a users of Messages cannot speak.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    simply258 said:
    It helps Apple users use iMessage exclusively so we don't have to rely on other platforms. Apple doesn't have 100% market share, nor is iMessage a standard. I have a few friends and family who are not iPhone users, and it gets more annoying in groups because that non iPhone user can't join us in a group. So yes iMessage on other platforms either as a standalone app or a standard to integrate into other apps ensures Apple users continue to use iMessage.

Apple never aims for 100% market share. They aim for 100% profit share. When allowing iMessage on other platforms brings in more revenue than selling iPhones, then you can expect iMessage on other platforms.
    ai46Rayz2016
  • Reply 35 of 58
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I use iMessage on all of my devices and I use it to sms friends/colleagues with non Apple devices as it keeps all of my conversations synced across devices.  I don't use Facebook messenger, I have Skype for voice chat with a couple of friends when gaming and wharsapp out of pity for 1 friend who can't afford an iPhone and has to use a Samsung.  But, no, I don't think that iMessage should be expanded outside of Apple.
    edited June 2016 ai46
  • Reply 36 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    ireland said:
    It's a pain in the butt. I think Apple are thinking wrong here. iMessage not being cross-platform significantly lessens my iPhone enjoyment and experience.
    Exactly!  I want to be able to engage my friends using other platforms within iMessage.  
    Today, I'm forced to go elsewhere - Whatsapp, Telegram....

And what makes you think your Android friends will CHOOSE to use iMessage, instead of their built in text app or any other cross platform messaging app they have installed? The whole POINT of iMesage is that it's integrated within the stock texting app, and it can receive and send SMS seamlessly. I don't see how this can be implemented in Android, would just make things a mess and even more confusing.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    In my country the iPhone has about 20% market share and the market share is declining.  This means that only 4 percent of the messages exchanged between smartphones are iPhone to iPhone.  Only these 4 % of the messages can make use of additional features set of iMessage, making it almost irrelevant.  
    ireland
  • Reply 38 of 58
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Facebook didn't spend all that money on WhatsApp for no reason so they could be the largest and second largest messenger service in mobile. Messaging is a platform and it's going to be a significant part if our interactions with family and friends.

For those of you who don't get it and there's a lot of you, step out from this bizarre world of what you perceive what benefits Apple is in your best interest. Locking down iMessage is a bad experience for iPhone owners and a missed opportunity to snatch Android mindshare . 

I can imagine in 2020 when everyone gets an iPhone and just installs WhatsApp and puts imessage in the junk folder. Tsk tsk.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    willizen said:
    I think that a lot of people miss the point that not having imessage cross platform actually degrades the experience for iPhone users. When you have friends and family on Android and they can't use imessage with you, that impairs your experience as an iPhone user. So going cross platform actually improves the experience for existing iPhone users. That is something that no one talks about. Not to mention that imessage is the default for iPhone users, so the only way to gain imessage users is to convince more people to switch to  iphone, which really isn't happening. 
    That people are down voting you for that comment speaks to an unwarranted insecurity of Apple around here. I completely agree. It honestly kind of ruins my experience of iMessage. That's how I actually feel. iMessage annoys me for this reason. And WhatsApp, kik, Facebook messenger etc. I need them all only because Apple is being pigheaded. Apple can complete the iMessage experience here so we can use it to iMessage everyone!! And despite the typical refrain about iMessage stop people going to Android I think it's bullshit. I'd say a far greater number would switch to iPhone or at least be tempted to if they were iMessage users on a regular basis. Most smartphone users in Europe by far are on Android, like it or not we cannot communicate with those people without downloading an app. No one wants to deal in shitty text messages. That my iMessages turn into texts is not a feature—but an  inconvenience that I turn off.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    slurpy said:
    And what makes you think your Android friends will CHOOSE to use iMessage, instead of their built in text app or any other cross platform messaging app they have installed?
    Name the cross platform messaging app they and we have installed? Text doesn't count, it's rubbish. They'd choose iMessage because it's Apple software and to make it easy to communicate with iPhone users and the super emoji set would keep them.
    boopthesnoot