Apple douses rumor of impending iMessage release for Android

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    slurpy said:

The whole POINT of iMesage is that it's integrated within the stock texting app, and it can receive and send SMS seamlessly.
    Pretty sure at this point that this is a nice feature, but far from the "whole point".  It could be dropped from an Android version.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    moreck said:
    Exactly!  I want to be able to engage my friends using other platforms within iMessage.  
    Today, I'm forced to go elsewhere - Whatsapp, Telegram....

If Android's stock messaging app was any good, people wouldn't be using Whatsapp, telegram or others. It's not Apple's responsibility to compensate for Google's shortcomings.
    If those people start using Whatsapp, telegram or others, how do you expect their friends with iPhones will communicate with them? SMS? No! Friends with iPhones will start to use those same apps to stay in touch, because that is how most social relationships work, they try to converge on a common medium, and then people will see no point in using iMessage
  • Reply 43 of 58
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    mjtomlin said:
    ppietra said:
    this logic worked in the last few years when most people were still using sms services to send messages, something that works cross-platform making it possible to use the program frequently with any contact. 
    But that is changing. More and more people are using alternatives to sms, which means that Apple’s program is no longer a viable solution for many contacts and it will only get worse if Apple doesn’t go cross-platform. It becomes inconsequent if people stop using it frequently, there will be no stickiness, quite the opposite, it will become frustrating. 
    How is it possible that Apple doesn’t see that?

I disagree. While most people used SMS, there were many alternatives, including AIM, Yahoo, Skype, etc. That were and still are cross-platform. Just as WhatsApp, Kik, Facebook are today. These are all still cross-platform and still work on iPhone. So there's no reason why Apple has to worry about user leaving their platform.

People seem to have missed just what Apple is doing... They've made Messages extensible ... which opens the door in the future to possibly support 3rd party messaging protocols. On the Mac, Messages allows me to chat via Yahoo, AIM, Jabber, iMessage ... and even text via Continuity through my iPhone. Kim, WhatsApp, Facebook etc, could all very well build iMessage apps to support their protocols.
    That would be awesome if Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, wechat, iMessage all works through one app Messages... on Mac or iPhones or iPads. 

• Reply 44 of 58
    Excuse me, but all those who keep disagreeing with the value of Messages/iMessage on other platforms, it was promised when it was released by Steve Jobs himself that it would be made available on other platforms, so even he identified early on the value of supporting this important service for users more widely than just on iDevices and Macs. It wasn't the wrong decision or attitude at all, there is value in having Messages/iMessage on other platforms for users of the service today, that's not anything but continued expectation of honouring an initial promise associated with the product and it's definitely not some silly betrayal of Apple values.
    singularityxamaxpatchythepirate
  • Reply 45 of 58
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Android = tons of users + no profit.
    No net positive.  (Like hmurchison said.)
    ai46SpamSandwich
  • Reply 46 of 58
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Excuse me, but all those who keep disagreeing with the value of Messages/iMessage on other platforms, it was promised when it was released by Steve Jobs himself that it would be made available on other platforms, so even he identified early on the value of supporting this important service for users more widely than just on iDevices and Macs. It wasn't the wrong decision or attitude at all, there is value in having Messages/iMessage on other platforms for users of the service today, that's not anything but continued expectation of honouring an initial promise associated with the product and it's definitely not some silly betrayal of Apple values.
    I think that he was talking about FaceTime not iMessage
  • Reply 47 of 58
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    If people want the full iPhone and Messages experience, they should get an iPhone. Having 100s of millions more Messages users placing a strain on Apple's servers for no financial gain doesn't make sense, IMO.
    Except to make this the world-wide standard.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Excuse me, but all those who keep disagreeing with the value of Messages/iMessage on other platforms, it was promised when it was released by Steve Jobs himself that it would be made available on other platforms, so even he identified early on the value of supporting this important service for users more widely than just on iDevices and Macs. 
    Are you sure? I don't remember that. Jobs said that Apple would be open sourcing FaceTime, but I don't recall any similar statement about open sourcing, standardizing or cross platform support for iMessage.
    edited June 2016 staticx57thepixeldoc
  • Reply 49 of 58
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    roake said:
    If people want the full iPhone and Messages experience, they should get an iPhone. Having 100s of millions more Messages users placing a strain on Apple's servers for no financial gain doesn't make sense, IMO.

If a world wide standard is what people want, they can always use other apps such as Whatsapp, Viber, Hangouts, etc.  Even Google's Allo will be coming to iPhone soon.  There are plenty of alternatives if you do not want to use iMessage.
    ai46
  • Reply 50 of 58
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I think that there is a way to satisfy both issues -- 1) support for other platforms and 2) provide an incentive to buy Apple devices and services.

They could, say, offer an Android version (maybe requiring an iCloud subscription)  equivalent to the new iMessage (available in the fall).  This way, people who need/want iMessage on Android can get/pay for it.  Likely, this would be a small number (limit it newer Android releases?) that would not overload Apple's servers.

When they announce the new iPhone lineup in the fall, they could add enhanced iMessage capability for the new Apple lineup.   This would be possible only for Apple devices because of the deep integration of the hardware, software ands services.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 51 of 58
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Simply a disservice to  users who want to be on the best platform not having to reach out to other platforms to communicate.

The iPhone and all smartphones achieved great success because they're communication devices!

it is simply lacking in vision, especially when having such deep pockets - what's all that money for if not to serve  customers (by providing iMessage to other OS users)? And how supplying other OS with a great iMessage experience is not conducive to attract new clients?

 is starting to become the MSFT of old latched on to their old paradigm of a hardware company.

And then there's this never dying obnoxious "looking at belly button" way of Americans thinking they are the center of the world. 80% of brazillians use WhatsApp which they have nicknamed Zap, even businesses are using it to communicate with their customers, it's become a de facto standard. What about India, heck I live in Europe and I, an  customer since 1993 with iPhone users in the family, almost never touch iMessage anymore, it is gathering dust.

Mr. Tim Cook, the owner companies of WhatsApp, Messenger, Skype, Hangouts, Telegram etc. all thank you for missing in action. Messaging is becoming a platform of its own and an opportunity to build around it. Yes, someone said it here, may very well become the means to send payments back and forth, not just between friends but also shops.

Comms Apps are vortexes of people, billions flock to them as proven.  has a billion devices but as per the ecosystem strategy it obviously hasn't a billion users, maybe 60% of that. Therefore WhatsApp has more customers. The money will come not from forcing users to pay but some other way. It's inevitable. Should WhatsApp build a micro/normal payment platform around it, it would be instant blasting success. And an instant blow to all other payment wanna-be's.

Anyway, disservice to  customers, even abusive of  users' brand fidelity. Lack of vision.

What /Cook is missing out is that if  wants to grow beyond the peak it has reached, it's going to need other different catalysts. IT WILL NEED TO BECOME THE DE FACTO STANDARD IN EVERYTHING. It'll need to spearhead into other areas where profitability is not as obvious in order to become a more valuable experience/platform as a whole. Added value = more compelling. People aren't jumping on  bandwagon because of iMessages or FaceTime (two Apps, not one as WhatsApp!), iMessage is just there losing value, I can't use it cos there's no one on the other side. Even iPhone owners prefer WhatsApp because they can use it with ANYBODY and everybody. What lack of vision, blindness!

It seems  is waiting on others to prove it to them so as to follow. Scrooge type thing. It'll be too late.  has always been too tight-fisted, but now it seems to be showing the absence of Steve Jobs, the visionary, replaced by the best executive (who executes, not envisions). I hope I'm wrong. I'm a die hard  fan, user since 1989, owner since 1993, you won't find a more faithful customer, even had stock a few years. I really hope I'm wrong. 
    ireland
  • Reply 52 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    xamax said:
    Simply a disservice to  users who want to be on the best platform not having to reach out to other platforms to communicate.
    I agree with you. Go easy on your use of those Apple logo glyphs though.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    roake said:
    Apple is in the hardware business and marginally in the software services business. Those hardware sales supplement software development. Billions of dissatisfied users would be far worse for their reputation than hundreds of millions of satisfied users. Apple is a business, not a charity.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 54 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland said:
    Go easy on your use of those Apple logo glyphs though.
    Craig Federighi was right... 
  • Reply 55 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    crowley said:
    jungmark said:
    And how does iMessage on Android help Apple?
    Did I not just describe how it would make me, an Apple customer, delighted?  Isn't that what Apple are always saying is their core principle?

Beyond that is Apple's problem.  Monetised stickers, halo effect, whatever.
    sending me 100 bucks every week would also delight me, as a customer. but Apple isn't going to do that for the same reason -- delighting the customer must be tied to making a profit from the customer. investing in massive infrastructure and resources to enable Android users to get rich, encrypted messages from iOS users instead of SMS doesn't meet that criteria.
  • Reply 56 of 58

I think that there is a way to satisfy both issues -- 1) support for other platforms and 2) provide an incentive to buy Apple devices and services.

They could, say, offer an Android version (maybe requiring an iCloud subscription)  equivalent to the new iMessage (available in the fall).  This way, people who need/want iMessage on Android can get/pay for it.  Likely, this would be a small number (limit it newer Android releases?) that would not overload Apple's servers.

When they announce the new iPhone lineup in the fall, they could add enhanced iMessage capability for the new Apple lineup.   This would be possible only for Apple devices because of the deep integration of the hardware, software ands services.

I have no idea why someone would downvote you for your hypothetical and very intriguing idea. And like you, I don't feel that multi platform support and providing incentive to buy into the Apple ecosystem are mutually exclusive. I think it's in Apple's and Apple users' best interest to have multi-platform support, but maintaining the iOS version as superior. Even if there is no further improvement into iMessages this year, it can at least be ported over with some limit to its functionality, such as lack of stickers/apps.

I think the incentive to buy from having an improved iOS only messages app is real, but short lived and self-limiting. In the intermediate to long term, I think that having a bridge of familiarity on other platforms with iMessage will go a long way to facilitate switchers, given that people's opposition to Apple is almost never logical or practical, and is usually based on some irrational or false idea(s) or the desire to be 'different'. Encouraging familiarity with Apple in general is likely to dissolve most of these unsubstantial barriers.

As for the enhanced capability, I'm gonna take a stab at guessing that you're referring to avatar creation.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 57 of 58
    crowley said:
    Did I not just describe how it would make me, an Apple customer, delighted?  Isn't that what Apple are always saying is their core principle?

Beyond that is Apple's problem.  Monetised stickers, halo effect, whatever.
    sending me 100 bucks every week would also delight me, as a customer. but Apple isn't going to do that for the same reason -- delighting the customer must be tied to making a profit from the customer. investing in massive infrastructure and resources to enable Android users to get rich, encrypted messages from iOS users instead of SMS doesn't meet that criteria.
    Second paragraph.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    xamax said:
    abusive of  users' brand fidelity
    Really?  i don't understand exactly where you'd sit on the soci-politico-economic spectrum to think this is a thing.