Seeking Windows notebook buying advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I've been alotted a budget of about $2300 for a new notebook purchase for work. Due to some windows-only proprietary software issues (and some discouraging reports about actually accomplishing anything in VPC) I have decided to go with a windows notebook, while satisfying my mac addiction at home. My question, then, is this:

If you had ~$2300, what PC notebook would you buy, and why?

My basic requirements are as follows:

A minimum 12.1" screen (this will be my primary daily-use machine)

Maximum weight 6lbs.(exclusive of power brick and othr peripherals) though the lighter the better, as I will travel quite a bit

Internal optical drive (preferably a CD-R/DVD combo, but at least a DVD)

built-in wi-fi

Any brands that I should look at befor eothers? Also, are there any makers that I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance,

SM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Ummm, you do know what the name of this board is, right?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    I would get an IBM, the T series is quite nice with both a touchpad and an eraser. Sony only if you get an extended warranty or something because that thing will break down real fast.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Gateway 450 XL

13.15" x 10.63" x 1.3" (W x D x H), approximate weight 6.01lb.

Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor @ 2.0 GHz

512 MB DDR SDRAM

40 GB Ultra ATA 100 HD

Floppy Drive

24x/10x/24x CD-RW & 8x DVD Combo-Drive

Two Type 2 or One Type 3 PC Card Slots

2 USB Ports, 1 FireWire Port, SVGA, Parallel, Serial, PS/2, and NTSC/PAL Video Output

15? XGA Active Matrix TFT Color Display

ATI Mobility Radeon w/ 32MB DDR Video Memory

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

$2128.00
  • Reply 4 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Dude, get a Dell!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Having owned a Dell laptop myself, I can confidently refute Matsu's suggestion. The trials of Dell-ownership were what made me leave the Wintel platform in favor of the Macintosh. I was tired of Windows not working and very tired of the Dell hardware being so subpar. And I never found their "award-winning" tech support to be anything to write home about.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Ari ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 16
    DP

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Ari ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 16
    BS.

I've seen a ton of Dell's and they have been perfectly reliable. My boss has a Dell, a few of my close friends have multiple Dell's, among the PC users I know, they are the only ones who've never had a problem.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Thanks for all of the responses. Has anyone used Toshibas? The Portege 4010 and Tecras look like they might fit the bill, though they are a bit more expensive.

Thanks,

SM
  • Reply 8 of 16
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Toshiba laptops are really the best for a Pc laptop. Decently styled and suprisinly good features for the price. Supposedly they have good tech support. My dad has a gateway laptop, looks as close to the ti-book that you will get, but it sucks, and it has absolutly no battery to speak of. Avoid the gateways.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I shoul also note that I have also seen credit card claims reports for a major credit card and DELL does have a lot of claims/complaints relative to other makers, but I dunno if that's better or worse than any other company on a per unit basis, remember, Dell also sells a lot more computers than anybody else. So, iDunno, one the one hand my first hand experience has seen them be 100% reliable, on the other hand they may be no better or worse than other makes ???
  • Reply 11 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Ummm, you do know what the name of this board is, right? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Included in the description s "purchasing advice." I'd say my question qualifies.

SM
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I would go with Toshiba. They make great laptops.

Our company has been using them for 4-5 years and never had any problems.

For $2,300 I would go with:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (PS610U-02HTC9)

1.70GHz P4

15? UXGA (1600 x 1200)

256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go w/32MB DDR

DVD/CD-RW combo drive

40GB Hard drive

10/100 Ethernet

V.90/56K modem

Integrated Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b)

XP Pro

If you want to save some money you can get the following for $1499:

Satellite Pro 6100 (PS610U-024K19)

1.7Ghz P4

256MB 2100 DDR

40GB Hard Drive

DVD/CD-RW combo

10/100

14.1" XGA

Geforce4Go w/16MB DDR

XP Pro

Both of these have a Docking slot on the bottom for port replication. I just purchased 3 of these (The cheaper one), with the docking station for my company and they are very impressive computers.

Later,

Blizaine
  • Reply 13 of 16
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Easily Toshiba. They're the only notebooks I would consider after a PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Looks like Toshiba is the way to go. CDW has some rather good deals on Tecra's and Portege 4110's. The Sp 6100 reviewed above is a bit biger than what I am looking for, but I will go to the local Crap USA and put my hands on a few of these machines and see what I can see.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

SM
  • Reply 15 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    looking at the laptop prices posted in this thread, i'm starting to notice how competive apple's offerings really are. good work, der apfel
  • Reply 16 of 16
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    My recommendation is to follow <a href="http://www.techbargains.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.techbargains.com/</a>; for a week and decide.

You can get a great desktop and a laptop for $2300!