Apple led effort to remove rifle emoji from Unicode 9.0, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

daven said:
    The killer was born here. Think before you post.
    Irrelevant. Their ideology was foreign, from elsewhere.

And their ideology is complete garbage, and it's going to end up in the dumpster soon.

Christian ideology is also foreign. Think before you post...
    I guess it's all that foreign stuff creating so many problems.
    baconstangsingularitycrowleydavenlilsmirkysigma4lifebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 42 of 101
    This is a great move. Kudos to Apple. Anything that makes radicalized Christian thugs who worship killing machines angry is a good thing.
    baconstangdavenlukei
  • Reply 43 of 101
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Oh sure but
  • Reply 44 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pigybank said:
    Oh sure but
    I like it. It's bold, it's pithy, and it makes you think.

About anything you'd like, sure, but it does.
    macgui
  • Reply 45 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    texasyup said:
    This is a great move. Kudos to Apple. Anything that makes radicalized Christian thugs who worship killing machines angry is a good thing.
    This is a joke right? The only people that worship killing machines right now are radical Muslims. Of course we shouldn't be surprised as Islam is an incredibly violent religion.
    razorpittallest skilstevehjoseph_went_south
  • Reply 46 of 101
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    daven said:
    wizard69 said:
    It is OBama's policy to install fear into the US by importing Muslim terrorists to make it easier to implement Marshall law.    Make no mistake here the democrats aren't much different than the organizations that gave us WW2 Germany.
    The killer was born here. Think before you post.
    His birthplace means nothing because he (and his family) followed the insane doctrine of sharia law which comes from a backwards third world country.
    tallest skiljoseph_went_south
  • Reply 47 of 101
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    wiggly said:
    Dude calm down. Have you ever used a gun to help anyone? Of course you didn't. You're so scared of every one you don't even go out.
    Great argument.

So ts, have you ever used a gun to help someone? You are right. It is a great argument.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ok. No more rifle, then.

Moving right along...
    daven
  • Reply 49 of 101
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    mobius said:
    But...there's already a handgun, a bomb, a knife and a sword...so what was Apple's response when they were proposed? Or perhaps they were introduced at a time when Apple did not wield the persuasive power it currently does.
    I think everyone is missing the logical reason:
    1) There is already a "gun weapon" emoji http://emojipedia.org/pistol/ , It's defined as "a police officer's weapon that can cause great harm" , adding more variations of gun is pointless. Note that Microsoft makes this a "toy gun" on Windows, and most other versions are the 6-shooter.
    2) The average person outside the US does not have access to legal firearms, nor knows the difference between the 6-shooter and a longgun (for hunting.)
    3) Nobody wants to encourage more gun violence.

The Kitchen knife(hocho) and dagger exist as separate emoji. The crossed swords implies "combat" , The bomb is the cartoon bomb with lit fuse symbol and universally known as a bomb from everything in cartoons to video games. Real bombs don't look like that.

The Rifle is still included in Unicode 9 but has no color emoji. Vendors can include one if they want but it won't be supported.

More to the point, "gun emoji" might be triggering to some people but this is just something that has to be addressed (see the "cartoony" pistols) as a UI/UX thing.

sigma4life
  • Reply 50 of 101
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    mattinoz said:
    If the symbol is meant to be an Olympic thing why is Google's the only graphic that looks like the weapons used in the Olympics?
    It isn't, in fact it's probably the furthest from what's actually used. The closest to something used in the Olympics is the Emojipedia version, and it's not quite there either.
    baconstang
  • Reply 51 of 101
    I'm totally with Apple on this.
    Firearms cannot be part of our culture, and why not start with removing them from the endless emoji's list?
    edited June 2016 daven
  • Reply 52 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lilsmirky said:
    Firearms cannot be part of our culture, and why not start with removing them from the endless emoji's list?

Removing things from a person doesn't stop anything. They'll just find other ways of getting them. Its like moving the cookie jar up higher so your child can't eat all the cookies. If they want one bad enough, they'll find a way to get to the cookie jar one way or another. This is just like making drugs illegal. It does nothing except fill our jails up. It doesn't stop anyone from doing it. This is not the way to go. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 53 of 101
    lilsmirky said:
    Firearms cannot be part of our culture
    You don't have a goddamn clue what our culture is. You're an embarrassment to the ideals of America. Don't buy a fucking gun if you don't want one. You have absolutely no right to make anyone defenseless but yourself.
    razorpit
  • Reply 54 of 101
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    welshdog said:
    wizard69 said:

Out of proportion, you have people with not idea what a firearm even is, trying to outlaw them because they are afraid.
    You mean like a firearm is a tool created for the sole purpose of killing or harming other people in a convient easy to use manner? 
    Yeah, those vicious, destructive Olympic target pistols and rifles, biathlon rifles, benchrest rifles, ...

Wait. They're not?

Judging from actual usage, only the tiniest fraction of a percent of civilian-owned firearms are used for anything other than making small holes close together on a piece of paper, or to ring a gong, or to pop a tin can, ...

You'd have a better argument trying to claim that cars, trucks and motorcycles were designed to kill people; more people are killed by accident by motor vehicles than are killed on purpose by civilian-owned firearms in the U.S.
    tallest skiljoseph_went_southrazorpit
  • Reply 55 of 101
    I don't know why I didn't just post this earlier.

Debate's over. Time to go home.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    daven said:
    apple ][ said:

Irrelevant. Their ideology was foreign, from elsewhere.

And their ideology is complete garbage, and it's going to end up in the dumpster soon.
    So what is your excuse for Tim McVay, the Sandy Hook shooter, the church shooter, the Columbine shooters, etc.? In the end I think objective people will conclude that the Orlando shooter was more motivated about being a conflicted gay than about a religious ideology. Reports are that he frequented gay bars, used gay dating apps, etc. Hardly activities that fit into being a devout Muslim.
    So the fact that there are wackjob US citizens means you should import more whack jobs from overseas? 

Read about Taqiyya. What he did by scoping out gay clubs and dating apps is perfectly acceptable under the rules of Jihad. You notice there are no reports of him actually carrying on homosexual relationships. He was there to scope the place out so he could create maximum carnage. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 57 of 101
    lilsmirky said:
    Firearms cannot be part of our culture
    You don't have a goddamn clue what our culture is. You're an embarrassment to the ideals of America. Don't buy a fucking gun if you don't want one. You have absolutely no right to make anyone defenseless but yourself.
    Sorry bro, it's not that I just don't want to buy a gun (and I won't). I also don't want my children to get shot because a psychopath walks in a college with a firearm.
    Let's lock those things away and let's hand them to people who are trained to use them in a proper way (e.g. police officers and soldiers). Firearms don't belong in our homes, in our schools, in our phones.
    sigma4lifemobius
  • Reply 58 of 101

flaneur said:
    wizard69 said:
    It is OBama's policy to install fear into the US by importing Muslim terrorists to make it easier to implement Marshall law.    Make no mistake here the democrats aren't much different than the organizations that gave us WW2 Germany.
    Flaming, screaming paranoia on view here.

Why do refugees need to come here en masse during war time? Why aren't they being accepted in Saudia Arabia or other middle eastern countries, or in China or Japan or Korea or other wealthy nations? 

• Reply 59 of 101
    Sottmacxpress said:
    lilsmirky said:

Removing things from a person doesn't stop anything. They'll just find other ways of getting them. Its like moving the cookie jar up higher so your child can't eat all the cookies. If they want one bad enough, they'll find a way to get to the cookie jar one way or another. This is just like making drugs illegal. It does nothing except fill our jails up. It doesn't stop anyone from doing it. This is not the way to go. 
    Even admitting you are right (we could argue about that, but for the sake of the discussion let's assume you are), we could at least prevent all those unintentional injuries/death caused by firearms, which, in 2016 alone, are 1,300 and counting.
  • Reply 60 of 101

welshdog said:
    wizard69 said:

Out of proportion, you have people with not idea what a firearm even is, trying to outlaw them because they are afraid.
    You mean like a firearm is a tool created for the sole purpose of killing or harming other people in a convient easy to use manner? Yeah we know exactly what they are. And yet, you want to trust somthing as unreliable as human beings with somthing like that?  Great, just great.  Real fine plan for the future there.

you are completely missing the point. No government is going on a mission to disarm themselves and destroy their weapons. The argument is about WHO should possess those weapons, citizens or a corrupt government oppressing the citizens? 

There exist no laws in any country that would have prevented the Orlando massacre. Paris has some of the strictest gun control laws in the western world and those laws did nothing to prevent multiple gun attacks. So forgive me if I'm cynical of Obama's breathless proclamations that "assault weapons" are to blame for terrorist acts. WTF is an 'assault weapon' anyway - weapons are for assault