cell phone silencer

rooroo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
a japanese designer, oka hideo, has come up with a nickel-zinc ferrite panel that decreases microwave signal power by 97%. this blocks typical frequencies for mobile phones, computer networks and bluetooth. this material is sandwiched between two layers of wood, so it can be easily used by architects and interior designers and integrated into movie theatres, restaurants, etc. and perhaps in 2 years it will be availible in US hardware stores. sounds good, but what about the whole "on-call doctors" thing? why aren't people taking that into account? is its frequency more of a myth?

sounds cool to me though, no more annoying ringing during movies, or the more annoying "common courtesy is dead" rant by jack after such an incident.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    People who are on call don't need to go to the movie. They can wait to go when they are off call. Mostly that's an ego trip anyway. I hate hate hate ****ing hate cell phones at the movies so I'm all for anything that kills them there. But ... in this country using such a wall board would be illegal
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Heh heh. I have a different item on the drawing board. I call it the DSP gun.

Basically, I use a digital signal processing chip and some ROM to create a band-pass filter that pushes white noise over the full cellular broadband. I'll have to transmit the signal via a directional dish. The effective range should be about 100 feet.

I'll be breaking a ton of laws here, obviously, but I like breaking the law.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Sounds like a signal jammer to me. They are illegal, but some companies still make them. Instead of a DSP gizmo, it simply broadcasts interference. Unfortunately, in San Jose buildings are close together, and interference travels through walls. The focused dish is a good idea. :cool:
  • Reply 4 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    The passive absorber in the wallboard is perfectly legal. You can't broadcast something to interfere with a phone but there is nothing that requires you to provide clear access to the signal. All sorts of building materials block radio signals naturally.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>Sounds like a signal jammer to me. They are illegal, but some companies still make them. Instead of a DSP gizmo, it simply broadcasts interference. Unfortunately, in San Jose buildings are close together, and interference travels through walls. The focused dish is a good idea. :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

It is a signal jammer. It's just in gun form, portable in jacket pocket or, better, a sly gun sling.
  • Reply 6 of 8

Sometimes I really think the cell phone jammer is really a necessity in schools. A lot of students are immerging in texting during classes.This is annoying. I saw the site http://www.jammerall.com/ sells jammers but I don't know whether I can buy one for the sake of classroom order.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roo View Post

a japanese designer, oka hideo, has come up with a nickel-zinc ferrite panel that decreases microwave signal power by 97%. this blocks typical frequencies for mobile phones, computer networks and bluetooth. this material is sandwiched between two layers of wood, so it can be easily used by architects and interior designers and integrated into movie theatres, restaurants, etc. and perhaps in 2 years it will be availible in US hardware stores. sounds good, but what about the whole "on-call doctors" thing? why aren't people taking that into account? is its frequency more of a myth?

sounds cool to me though, no more annoying ringing during movies, or the more annoying "common courtesy is dead" rant by jack after such an incident.

That sounds a bit the prevailing 3g 4g signal blocker that designed to block inappropriate cell phone use under necessary circumstances.