Inside watchOS 3: New 'Breathe' app for Apple Watch reminds you to relax, focus

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In addition to reminding you to stand and walk throughout the day, watchOS 3 will also prompt Apple Watch users to take a minute to relax, focus and meditate with a new app dubbed "Breathe."

Breathe is an all-new app found in watchOS 3. Upon updating, the default settings will have Breathe prompt a user to have a focused breathing session every four hours.

The app guides users through a series of deep breaths, intended to help manage everyday stress. By default, the app offers a one-minute session of seven breaths, but these can be extended to longer sessions, and breathing can be slowed to four breaths per minute, or expanded to ten per minute.

When a Breathe notification pops up, users can either begin a session or choose to snooze it. A dedicated Breathe app on the app screen --?as well as a new Breathe complication that can be added to watch faces -- also allow users to start a session whenever they choose.

Once users begin, the app informs them to "be still and bring attention to your breath." A series of circles on the Apple Watch display gradually expand, accompanied by taptic feedback on the wrist, letting the user know to slowly inhale.

The use of feedback in the app can allow users to focus on their breathing and following along with their eyes closed, without a need to look at the app on their wrist.

The circles on the Apple Watch face then gradually contract as the user exhales along with the Breathe app. In the default settings, this will repeat seven times over one minute.

Once the session is completed, users are presented with a summary screen that lets them know how many Breathe sessions they have completed so far today, and what their heart rate was measured at during the last session. There's also a "Breathe Again" button that allows users to continue, if they choose.

watchOS 3 is a free update for all Apple Watch owners that will arrive this fall. It's currently available in beta for for developers to test.

For more, see AppleInsider's ongoing "Inside watchOS 3" series, parts of which are linked below:

Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets more familiar with dedicated dock button

Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets improved glance-ability with new complications, watch faces

Inside watchOS 3: Send text messages from Apple Watch by drawing one letter at a time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rakic90rakic90 Posts: 7member
    Headspace on your wrist. Wonderful. :smile: 
    edited June 2016 mdriftmeyerkevin kee
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Reminds me to do Pranayama breathing exercises.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I wonder how many customers will be provoked to rip their watches from their wrists and hurl them across the room if this comes up at the wrong time?  :D

Edit: added an emoticon since some people don't seem to have any sense of humor.
    edited June 2016 NumNutslolliverWarrior87
  • Reply 4 of 27
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    mac_128 said:
    I wonder how many customers will be provoked to rip their watches from their wrists and hurl them across the room if this comes up at the wrong time?
    About zero customers will do that.
    You can dismiss or ignore the Breathe alert with a single tap.
    (Watch has a touch-sensitive screen in case you've forgotten.)
    jbdragonnolamacguymacgui
  • Reply 5 of 27
    rakic90rakic90 Posts: 7member
    mac_128 said:
    I wonder how many customers will be provoked to rip their watches from their wrists and hurl them across the room if this comes up at the wrong time?
    You would just lower your wrist and dismiss it.
    jbdragonmacgui
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    AI has yet to mention SOS, the single most important Watch OS update. SOS will convert more new sales than any other feature announced. When a connected watch can save your life, that's revolutionary! Wake up, AI! Write an article on SOS.
    cornchipnolamacguymacgui
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mj web said:
    AI has yet to mention SOS, the single most important Watch OS update. SOS will convert more new sales than any other feature announced. When a connected watch can save your life, that's revolutionary! Wake up, AI! Write an article on SOS.
    SOS might be a bigger deal than we think. It strongly suggests that Watch 2 will have both GPS and cellular radio as rumored. 
    cornchiplollivermj webjbishop1039
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    More than a little "new agey" at first glance but what the hell. A choice. 
  • Reply 9 of 27
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    mac_128 said:
    I wonder how many customers will be provoked to rip their watches from their wrists and hurl them across the room if this comes up at the wrong time?  :D

Edit: added an emoticon since some people don't seem to have any sense of humor.
    Sure, but like everything else if this sort it will be able to be turned off. So harmless. 
  • Reply 10 of 27
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 said:

it just wasn't funny, since it's not a remote possibility due to the way AW notifications work. do you even have one?
    macgui
  • Reply 11 of 27
    looks really interesting. the standing notifications help get me out of my chair and move around every hour. looking forward to trying this out. 
    lollivermacgui
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mac_128 said:

Holy crap the stick up some people's butts. I thought it was pretty funny. Having a bad day and someone tells me to "calm down", they better run fast. If my watch says it, that I'm not gonna push the dismiss button, I'm gonna punch that sucker!
    mac_128
  • Reply 13 of 27
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    not bad. I could see myself using something like this
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I love that Apple Thinks Different!
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I've got watchOS 3 installed. I find the Breathe app is a nice reminder to chill-out during the day. A couple of people that have seen it ask why I have the Burton Snowboards logo on my watch. I'm surprised no one else has commented on that.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mac_128 said:

Holy crap the stick up some people's butts. I thought it was pretty funny. Having a bad day and someone tells me to "calm down", they better run fast. If my watch says it, that I'm not gonna push the dismiss button, I'm gonna punch that sucker!
    you're going to "punch" your watch? that doesn't even make sense, physically. 

cool story bro. 
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I've got watchOS 3 installed. I find the Breathe app is a nice reminder to chill-out during the day. A couple of people that have seen it ask why I have the Burton Snowboards logo on my watch. I'm surprised no one else has commented on that.
    I suppose. I've never really understood those who don't have enough self discipline to get up from their desk, or take a break from the screen, or just take a few deep breaths throughout the day, assuming of course that is really something important to them. Then again, I've never understood additicion either. we all exist mostly in our own realities no matter how much empathy we purport to have for others -- we can't truly know what drives someone. I'm certainly not going to belittle someone or otherwise go out of my way to be an ass to people, in person or in the Internet, just because my reality differs from theirs. But that's what makes this forum so much fun isn't it? Come to think of it, the Breathe app likely can't get here fast enough for some of the regulars around here ... ;-)
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 18 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    mac_128 said:
    I've never really understood those who don't have enough self discipline to get up from their desk, or take a break from the screen, or just take a few deep breaths throughout the day, assuming of course that is really something important to them.
    Unfortunately some jobs do not allow it, like most call centers where you are required to take an average number of calls a day (sometimes upwards of 90-120) and as soon as one call ends have only about 5-10 seconds until the next call comes in and you're suppose to be taking that time to close up the notes from the previous phone call. And most call centers do not like it when you AUX out (go offline to the call queue essentially.) So the only time you have to breath or stand is on your breaks.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 19 of 27
    JinTech said:
    mac_128 said:
    I've never really understood those who don't have enough self discipline to get up from their desk, or take a break from the screen, or just take a few deep breaths throughout the day, assuming of course that is really something important to them.
    Unfortunately some jobs do not allow it, like most call centers where you are required to take an average number of calls a day (sometimes upwards of 90-120) and as soon as one call ends have only about 5-10 seconds until the next call comes in and you're suppose to be taking that time to close up the notes from the previous phone call. And most call centers do not like it when you AUX out (go offline to the call queue essentially.) So the only time you have to breath or stand is on your breaks.
    As it happens I have worked at a call center in my long employment experience. And I recall standing up from time to time talking calls on my feet, propping my keyboard on a box. I spend a fair amount of time at my standing desk today as well.

That said, if an employee is in a specialized situation where they literally are not allowed to stand, or relax, in order to do their job, I'm not sure how the Watch will help ... And would fall more into the frustration category which prompted my initial joke post.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    jfc1138 said:
    More than a little "new agey" at first glance but what the hell. A choice. 

It's a fact that living in this world is becoming more stressful every year. Even driving on the roads is a source of stress with the number of other drivers and ever-increasingly complex roadways. I used to have confidence navigating unfamiliar cities, but not a chance these days. Remembering to breathe is very important to staying relaxed. Apple is doing a good thing for people by releasing this app.
    macgui