Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 278
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.

Many people probably forgot or don't remember - Jobs was friends with the Clintons. They stayed at his house when they visited their daughter when she attended Stanford.

Further, Jobs put  Al Gore on Apple's board, where he still remains.
    jroyallmypeoplebb-15baconstangcaccamuccaRosynapropodai46jbdragonspliff monkey
  • Reply 42 of 278
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    razormaid said:
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    agree. If you give to one you give to both because the people purchasing you're product is from both parties too. Either give to both or give to none

many an actor and recording artist have watched their sales literally drop in half over night when they decide to voice their opinion which none of us asked for. 

And for those of you who say "say have the right to voice their feelings like anyone else..."   Blah blah. Well "everyone else" is not asking for you to buy the music or see their movies now are they?

just sayin'. When madonna Started being political she was boo'd off stage. When Skec Baldwin (and friends) came screaming out on their views, they stopped getting good parts, unless George Clooney made the movie <lol> 

im his saying come September maybe I'll try Simone else's product rather than hand over money. If it's good enough for Apple to do "pick and choose"... there's a lot of new players coming to the market. 
    I'm sick and tired of companies being politically correct as not to annoy investors or customers. I'm happy to see a Tim Cook take a position, even if I don't agree with him always I respect him for doing it. At this point Ann Coulter looks better than Trump, but Jesse Ventura would destroy both of them. If Tim Cook and Bono could get together Im sure they could do some great things. 
    tallest skiljroybaconstangai46lolliverargonaut
  • Reply 43 of 278
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    jungmark said:
    I don’t think Apple should pick sides...
    Exactly. Why would they back it in the first place?!
    Because money buys elections, then power and influence. Welcome to the world.
    jroybaconstang
  • Reply 44 of 278
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    If nothing else, Trump already said he would force Apple to produce all iPhones in the United States. That's enough reason to pull out even aside from his other crazy stuff. 
    jroydavenmacky the mackybaconstanglolliverargonaut
  • Reply 45 of 278
    bobschlob said:
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

That's because you either don't understand what "irony" means, or else what "hypocrisy" means. Not sure which.
    I know what both words mean and stand by my comment. Sorry you don't agree. I'm outta here. Bye
    cully
  • Reply 46 of 278
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    weathers said:
    bobschlob said:
    That's because you either don't understand what "irony" means, or else what "hypocrisy" means. Not sure which.
    I know what both words mean and stand by my comment. Sorry you don't agree. I'm outta here. Bye
    Oh noes!!  2 posts, and you're all through?? What a shock.
    tallest skilbaconstangjbdragonlolliverargonaut
  • Reply 47 of 278
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wish that Tim Cook was more like Milo, without a doubt my favorite gay person at the moment.  :#
    trollkillerHerbivore2
  • Reply 48 of 278
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I'll laugh so hard if the convention goes haywire somehow due to Windows gear  :D
    jroybaconstangai46lolliverargonaut
  • Reply 49 of 278
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    apple ][ said:
    paxman said:
    From how I read the article this is not so much a party political choice as a statement against Trump's views on minorities, women, and immigrants.
    Correction, illegal immigrants, and there's nothing wrong at all with criticizing illegal scum. They're not supposed to be here. They are illegal, and anything bad said about them is A-OK. They can expect to be rounded up and deported soon, to wherever they snuck in from.

Trump hasn't said anything bad about women in general. He's said a few things to individual women who are slobs and pigs, like Rosie O'Donell., who attacked him first. Are certain disgusting females supposed to be immune from criticism? Not where I am from, I believe in fairness.

Women working for Trump have many high positions, and they are paid better and treated far better than those women who work for Hillary for example.

Putting aside anything about immigrants, minorities or women, if you don't think Trump hasn't made pilefulls of amazingly ignorant and false statements almost daily you haven't been paying attention.  And the rationale about women in Trump's organization (many high positions?  ffffttttt) proving he understands the issue is equally inane.  Defies logic, but there you go, that's who he's attracting.
    jroybaconstangRosynaai46spliff monkeylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 50 of 278
    jlandd said:
    if you don't think Trump hasn't made pilefulls of amazingly ignorant and false statements almost daily you haven't been paying attention.  
    I never said that he's perfect or that he's never said anything that was false.

I do also recogonize that his opponent is far worse, and she's directly responsible for multiple dead Americans, and for trying to cover up the crime, when the embassy was attacked. She is also a national security risk, with her careless and criminal, illegal, email server scam.

Trump hasn't caused any deaths, yet. He has my vote for sure. 

If there is any justice left in the world, then Trump will be in the Whitehouse soon, and Hillary will be behind bars, and at least she wont have to wear any ridiculous looking pantsuits anymore or outfits that make her look like a teletubby. She is one dangerous lunatic, and she's a career politician who's been scamming people for a very long time. She is greatly funded by countries and enemies that hate us. Extremist countries are funding her with many tens of millions.
    edited June 2016 tallest skiltrollkillerjbdragoncully
  • Reply 51 of 278
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Good! Trump is genuinely dangerous. Anyone who supports him is either stupid, deluded or both.
    dsdr2d2macky the mackybaconstangRosynapropodspliff monkeylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 52 of 278
    moreck said:
    Trump is genuinely dangerous. 
    We could use some danger. I am definitely voting for danger. B)
    tallest skiltrollkillerHerbivore2cully
  • Reply 53 of 278
    Apple's hardly alone. "Apple’s decision follows on the heels of a reduction in funding for the 2016 convention from another corporate sponsor, Coca-Cola. The company shelled out $660,000 in 2012, but has only pledged $75,000 this time around (It has pledged the same amount to the Democratic convention in Philadelphia). A Coca-Cola spokesperson stressed the company’s “nonpartisan” status to The New York Times. But clearly, America’s corporate executives are nervous about the impact association with Trump might have on their brands. According to Bloomberg, Wells Fargo & Co., United Parcel Service Inc., Motorola Solutions Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., Ford Motor Co., and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. have all signaled that they will not be matching the funds or product donated to the 2012 convention in Tampa, Florida. In a similar sign of the highly charged political climate this election season, BuzzFeed recently canceled a $1.3 million ad deal with the RNC over Trump’s talking points." Apple's just being sane - Being within a mile of Trump is a bad idea for a business. I know if Trump told me something was good, I'd look cockeyed at that brand too.
    edited June 2016 macky the mackybaconstangRosynaai46spliff monkeylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 54 of 278
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.
    GREAT post. Where are the Apple boycott on Clinton the lying, murderous war criminal. IT is a choice between the lesser of two evils. And from what I have seen, Trump is a demon, but Clinton is Satan himself. 

Seems Apple is forgetting that America is a place of freedom - speech, religion, choice, etc. 

I like Apple, but censorship is wrong. And that's all this is.
    What does this have to do with censorship? I don't think you know what that word means.

You have a choice whether to give someone or something a gift. If you refuse to give someone a gift because of their behavior, that's not censorship. That's called "come uppins".  Companies are free to decide who to give gifts to. Nothing illegal or unethical about that.
    mike54r2d2baconstangRosynaai46spliff monkeylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 55 of 278
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    sector7g said:
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

I hate this particular argument, as it basically suggests if you can't save the entire world, you shouldn't try anywhere. Apple is a US based company and if it's going to try and make a difference it will have more impact at home, than in a foreign country. 

I agree. There's not much Apple can do in another country except sell product and influence the culture. But they can participate in the democrat process in the U.S.
    r2d2macky the mackybaconstangRosynaai46spliff monkeylolliverargonaut
  • Reply 56 of 278
    jkichline said:
    sector7g said:
    I hate this particular argument, as it basically suggests if you can't save the entire world, you shouldn't try anywhere. Apple is a US based company and if it's going to try and make a difference it will have more impact at home, than in a foreign country. 

I agree. There's not much Apple can do in another country except sell product and influence the culture. But they can participate in the democrat process in the U.S.
    Sure they can. They can simply choose to not sell.

It's 100% Apple's choice to sell to countries that executes people for being gay for example. That's on Apple 100%. Their choice.
    jbdragonHerbivore2cully
  • Reply 57 of 278
    davendaven Posts: 696member

I like Apple, but censorship is wrong. And that's all this is.
    On what planet is censorship defined as not giving money or support to a person or organization that calls for a boycott of your products?
    edited June 2016 boopthesnootr2d2macky the mackybaconstangRosynasingularityai46cornchipspliff monkeylolliver
  • Reply 58 of 278
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    As an outsider (non American), I think that Trump is a loose canon and voting him into the White House is a big step towards WW3. He had xero political skills. Sorry making business deals where threats are common place is not a good preparation for being President of the USA.  If the Republicans keep control of The Senate amd Congress in November, everything that was done in the last 8 years will soon be a dim and distant memory.
    As for the Wall along the Mexican Border, good luck getting that done before you get voted out of office/impeached.
    A folly built by the vainest man I have ever come upon might be a fitting tribute to Donald 'it is not a wig' Trump.
    Sad really but he reminds me more of Dr Strangelove that a serious politician.
    jlanddmacky the mackybaconstangsingularityargonaut
  • Reply 59 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple should abstain from backing any candidates and only back policies which protect them and Apple product users.
    tallest skiljackansi
  • Reply 60 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rotateleftbyte said:
     I think that Trump is a loose canon and voting him into the White House is a big step towards WW3. 
    You think wrongly.
    everything that was done in the last 8 years will soon be a dim and distant memory.

Are you making points against him?
    As for the Wall along the Mexican Border, good luck getting that done before you get voted out of office/impeached.
    Provisions therefor are in the Constitution. No laws need to be passed and no budget needs to be appropriated.
    trollkillerjbdragoncully