Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 61 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bells said:
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.
    How is it taking sides? Apple usually gives both parties product. It is good for marketing. Out of the two parties, only Trump bashed Apple publicaly, and having Apple's logo appear next to Trumps is likely to controversial. Women, minorities, gay people, and foreigners but its products.

Even some Republicans don't want to appear by Trump.
    It's because Trump is a loose cannon that he should be elected. Both Republicans and Democrats have become deeply corrupt and Trump needs to descend on Washington to kick some chairs out from under people. His lack of depth and comprehension on constitutional matters concerns me, but look what has happened under an alleged "constitutional law professor". The encroachments and damages have only increased since George W. Bush going forward.
    edited June 2016 tallest skiljbdragonHerbivore2cully
  • Reply 62 of 278
    Wow, so much anger about a rumor. And why aren't you all chastising HP, who already announced (officially, not a rumor) they won't be supporting the convention this year (they have supported them in the past). Or Microsoft, who scaled back support for the GOP convention to software services (specifically stating no cash this year) but they WILL be donating cash to the Democratic convention.

I guess the old adage is still true: if Apple and another company do the same thing, only Apple will be criticized for it. 
    bobschlobmacky the mackybaconstangRosynaspliff monkeyHerbivore2argonaut
  • Reply 63 of 278
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    apple ][ said:

Women working for Trump have many high positions, and they are paid better and treated far better than those women who work for Hillary for example.

Donald Trump’s campaign pays women less than men

Trump campaign pays female staff much less

baconstangspliff monkeyargonautjackansi
  • Reply 64 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    apple ][ said:
    jlandd said:
    if you don't think Trump hasn't made pilefulls of amazingly ignorant and false statements almost daily you haven't been paying attention.  
    I never said that he's perfect or that he's never said anything that was false.

I do also recogonize that his opponent is far worse, and she's directly responsible for multiple dead Americans, and for trying to cover up the crime, when the embassy was attacked. She is also a national security risk, with her careless and criminal, illegal, email server scam.

Trump hasn't caused any deaths, yet. He has my vote for sure. 

If there is any justice left in the world, then Trump will be in the Whitehouse soon, and Hillary will be behind bars, and at least she wont have to wear any ridiculous looking pantsuits anymore or outfits that make her look like a teletubby. She is one dangerous lunatic, and she's a career politician who's been scamming people for a very long time. She is greatly funded by countries and enemies that hate us. Extremist countries are funding her with many tens of millions.
    Incidentally, the hacker "Guccifer" is apparently working with Wikileaks and they are going to be dumping thousands of incriminating files from the DNC, Hillary and the Clinton Fiundation:  http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-13/julian-assange-warns-wikileaks-will-publish-enough-evidence-indict-hillary-clinton
    apple ][cully
  • Reply 65 of 278
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    apple ][ said:

We need a war, the sooner, the better, let's get it on.

What kind of war did you have in mind?

Against whom? 

Do you have any children in the military?

edited June 2016 baconstangRosynasingularityai46boopthesnootspliff monkeyargonautjackansi
  • Reply 66 of 278
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    bells said:
    How is it taking sides? Apple usually gives both parties product. It is good for marketing. Out of the two parties, only Trump bashed Apple publicaly, and having Apple's logo appear next to Trumps is likely to controversial. Women, minorities, gay people, and foreigners but its products.

Even some Republicans don't want to appear by Trump.
    It's because Trump is a loose cannon that he should be elected. Both Republicans and Democrats have become deeply corrupt and Trump needs to descend on Washington to kick some chairs out from under people. His lack of depth and comprehension on constitutional matters concerns me, but look what has happened under an alleged "constitutional law professor". The encroachments and damages have only increased since George W. Bush going forward.

We could use an intelligent and savvy loose cannon who has a record of success.  But Trump simply has none of the tools necessary for the job, and his string of dubious self proclaimed successes only mean he knows how to walk away from failed projects with another few million in his pocket.   It's unfortunate that we aren't being given much of a choice, but Trump is a laughing stock to the rest of the world's leaders and to say he hasn't got a chance in international negotiations would be being generous.
    baconstangcopelandr2d2Rosynaspliff monkeyargonautdaven
  • Reply 67 of 278
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Earlier in the year Donald Trump stated that he would determine where Apple could put their factories and how they would manufacture products.
    2/19/16 Trump called for a boycott of Apple because Apple will not break into users phones which have been confiscated by the police/FBI.
    - Trump is directly attacking Apple in how it does business and he is stating that Apple must cooperate with the government to strip phones of password protection which is a direct attack on user privacy.

* What response should Apple make to Trump? Some believe that Apple should do nothing because freedom of speech does not exist for the company's executives and Board.
    * My response is; since when did Trump take away the Constitutional protections of every American including Apple's leadership? Should Apple lay down its freedoms and surrender to Trump? Should Trump run Apple? Should only Trump speak for Apple? And should Trump decide that users of Apple products have no privacy?
    * I say absolutely NO!
    I support the freedoms given to us by the Constitution. And Trump has no right to silence any of us including Apple.
    edited June 2016 baconstangcopelandRosynaspliff monkeydaven
  • Reply 68 of 278
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Abstention is not picking sides. At all. For Apple, it is not the situation of a simple statement of support or disfavor - what is being considered here is millions of $$$ in expenses that they have no obligation to make.
    baconstangr2d2spliff monkey
  • Reply 69 of 278
    apple ][ said:
    jlandd said:
    if you don't think Trump hasn't made pilefulls of amazingly ignorant and false statements almost daily you haven't been paying attention.  
    I never said that he's perfect or that he's never said anything that was false.

I do also recogonize that his opponent is far worse, and she's directly responsible for multiple dead Americans, and for trying to cover up the crime, when the embassy was attacked. She is also a national security risk, with her careless and criminal, illegal, email server scam.

Trump hasn't caused any deaths, yet.

How can you compare any political data, whether deaths caused or lives saved, between someone who has never been in any position to have such data and someone who has?   Trump's years of service: zero.  That he gets a zero in every negative stat isn't exactly mind boggling.
    apple ][ said:
    He has my vote for sure. 

If there is any justice left in the world, then Trump will be in the Whitehouse soon, and Hillary will be behind bars, and at least she wont have to wear any ridiculous looking pantsuits anymore or outfits that make her look like a teletubby. She is one dangerous lunatic, and she's a career politician who's been scamming people for a very long time. She is greatly funded by countries and enemies that hate us. Extremist countries are funding her with many tens of millions.

I'm no Hillary fan, I voted for Sanders and am disappointed in the ridiculousness of the Democratic primaries, but Trump is far, far more dangerous as President than Clinton could ever be regardless of her career in politics, and as far as "lunatic", well, it's no contest. This is just typical hatred of Clinton and not love of Trump. No one cares what an awful person someone's opponent is if their person has anything at all to offer. But because Trump doesn't it always comes down to Clinton and her prison garb.  OK, I get it.  You really hate the woman.  That's enough to feel Trump in the White House will mean justice has been done?
    baconstangr2d2spliff monkeyargonaut
  • Reply 70 of 278

Provisions therefor are in the Constitution. No laws need to be passed and no budget needs to be appropriated.
    Oh no, not the Constitutional Provisions claim. That's only been stated on Trump sites, and they don't even get it close.  Just another thing Trump figures if he says it enough times people will believe it.  No, there's noting in the Constitution that gives the go ahead to build the wall.   The WSJ gives some insight into what Trump has claimed:   http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-crumbling-wall-plan-1460320010 

It's from April but the gist still holds.  Trump claims if Mexico refuses to pay for the wall he will rewrite The Patriot Act to completely cut off money from crossing the border.  This is Trump's claim, not the WSJ's, and there are many reasons why neither that nor any Plan B or C will work.   

A wall *could* be built, it's not completely unfeasible, but not by Trump, and not for a long time due to his ham fisted handling of the issue.

baconstangr2d2Rosynaargonautjackansi
  • Reply 71 of 278
    lostkiwi said:
    This will be interesting. There is a large and extremely vocal group of Republican/Trump supporters here on AI. 
    Listen, Apple is one of the most left-leaning companies ever. Way back when Woz and Steve started selling blue boxes, part of the fun was knowing that they were depriving republican shitbags of quarters. What about when Cook told climate change deniers to get out of the stock?

If you are a Republican reading this, have you ever seen the 1984 Apple advert? I expect that not a few Apple devotees have little trouble imagining Donny Trump's face on that screen....

baconstangai46spliff monkeyargonaut
  • Reply 72 of 278
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    Why is that? Why should they be 'neutral'?
    bb-15baconstangr2d2spliff monkey
  • Reply 73 of 278
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    And Apple wants me to support them by continuing to own it's Stock & Products.  It is time for me to buy several more computers, but I may just wait and see how things work out for the largest stock in my portfolio.  I am disappointed in Apple & their position not to help Donald Trump and have supported them since prior to 1984.  Failure to help Mr Trump benefits the Clinton Campaign.  So what if Mr Trump has a lot to learn.  The Clinton Machine, as well as both Parties have milked the system for generations.  Washington is full of do nothings living off the system.  Neither party wants change and they are happy with either party winning because they still get to do as they want and stay in Washington.  Do the politicians (and Apple) not realize that the people are speaking and they really do want change and it is definitely not Obama or Clinton. 

Just trace the money that the Clintons got from the Clinton Foundation.  They are as crooked as it gets and are hoodooing the People.  Donors gave to the Canadian Charity so it would not be traced to them. The Canadian Charity bundled it and gave most of it to the Clinton Foundation.  The Clinton Foundation gave some to the needy and kept the rest (most) for its own use.   Hardly a charitable entity when you keep most of the $'s for personal gain.  Just how did the Clintons get so much money when they claim they had none when they got out of the White House.  Why did the Obama's give up their law license ?  To avoid having it taken from them.  Neither are members of The Bar Association.  He is a sham and we The People are The Sheep.  

And to think Apple is supporting the Clintons, Bernie and not being willing to help Mr Trump who has single handedly rise out of now where to claim the nomination for the Republican party.  Mr Trump's name was not even on the Straw Ballot the GOP took at all the GOP Meetings at the Grassroots level. He was never supposed to beat the establishment - instead of beating them, he trounced (Trumped) them.  Party is over Washington and you scum sucking liberals.  

Kinda reminds me of Apple who rose out of the Ashes to be a world class company with all the $'s.  Now Apple has apparently forgotten their place.  Remember, if you are #1, there is no place to go except down.  Sorry Apple, someone you do not expect is going to eat your lunch.  Get off the stick and innovate and produce or fail.
    jbdragoncully
  • Reply 74 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jlandd said:
    Oh no, not the Constitutional Provisions claim. That’s only been stated on Trump sites...
    Defense of the nation is explicitly outlined in the Constitution.
    No, there's noting in the Constitution that gives the go ahead to build the wall.
    Funny thing about the Constitution is that it tells the government exactly what it can do. So when it says that the border must be defended, it means the border must be defended. No extra funding is even needed to do this.
    there are many reasons why neither that nor any Plan B or C will work.   
    Not only is it completely within his power to build a wall, it’s well within the legislative power to cut off all remittances.
    A wall *could* be built, it's not completely unfeasible, but not by Trump, and not for a long time due to his ham fisted handling of the issue.
    Better get used to seeing that big, beautiful wall, then.
    trollkillerjbdragoncully
  • Reply 75 of 278
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ said:
    As an outsider (non American), I think that Trump is a loose canon and voting him into the White House is a big step towards WW3. 
    We need a war, the sooner, the better, let's get it on.

Any delay is just going to cause more deaths, so by not supporting it, you and others are in effect choosing more casualties.

It's been delayed for long enough, it's time to get busy.
    This is the level of insanity represented by Trump and his supporters. 

There is no way Apple would want to be associated with this descent into barbarism. People still remember the American companies that supported and collaborated with Hitler — people who know history, that is — and I'm sure that CEOs like Cook and Nadella will do all they can to avoid an equivalent disaster.

why-baconstangr2d2Rosynaai46daven
  • Reply 76 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    flaneur said:
    There is no way Apple would want to be associated with this descent into barbarism.
    So why do they still support the monetary system that will cause the collapse of which he’s speaking?
    ...Hitler...
    Dear fuck, have a goddamn argument. You’re all supposed to be intelligent people, not mentally defective puppets parroting what you’re fucking told to say without logic or reason. Who can respect that?
    SpamSandwichtrollkillerjbdragoncully
  • Reply 77 of 278
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    American politics are a mess jesus
    baconstangr2d2
  • Reply 78 of 278
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Clinton's ``issues'' are GOP fabrications over three decades. Sorry, but Madam President will be sworn in next January.
    dsdbaconstangbobschlobspliff monkey
  • Reply 79 of 278
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dacloo said:
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    Why is that? Why should they be 'neutral'?
    Because they're a business.
    tallest skiljbdragon
  • Reply 80 of 278
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    If enough people do the right thing, Trump hasn't a chance. He's a loser and always has been. The "presumptive nominee" is sinking his own ship. Why polish the brass on the Titanic? Let the GOP nominate someone else and make America great again.
    edited June 2016 baconstangr2d2propod