Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 101 of 278
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Historically, Apple has supported both conventions. They don't take sides. They are only taking a stand because of Trump. Heck, most people in the GOP don't support him. They don't really have any other choice. I know a lot of conservatives that aren't voting this year because of Trump. Beyond his political boasting, he has directly targeted Apple. Why is Apple required to support the GOP convention? I don't get it.

If anything, I commend them for having principals. We live in a country that gives us the right to choose what path we take. If Apple shareholders or employees have an issue, get out of the stock or quit your job, but I'm guessing most employees support the decision.
    irelandbaconstangai46spliff monkey
  • Reply 102 of 278
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    tyler82 said:
    But they support Hillary who has raised millions through the Ckinton foundation from Saudi Arabia, where they stone gays to death?
    Not supporting Trump, doesn't mean supporting Hillary. Those two things are mutually exclusive.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 103 of 278
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This isn't even about picking sides - the presumptive nominee publicly ridiculed apple and called for a boycott of their products multiple times, why on earth would they now give him a free ride.
    edited June 2016 irelandwetlanderbaconstangai46
  • Reply 104 of 278
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    As a Brit, I'm glad that I won't have to choose between Trump and Clinton. Only, Johnson and Corbyn... oh dear god, no....  :'(
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 105 of 278
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    Trump picked a side for Apple when he said to boycott Apple. Enough said.

It's also not a big deal either. If Trump wins, he's gong to face a steep uphill battle to push any of his agenda because he alienates everyone from every side. If he wins, it might be the first time in history that congress absolutely tries to veto the president's executive orders (2/3rds majority) frequently, because Trump is exactly that kind of person who would destroy America first before "making it great" , because that is how he runs a business, straight into the ground while he makes off with all the assets before impact.

Voting Trump in, would be like voting for Putin in Russia. He's popular for some reasons, and all the criminals are running the government.
    edited June 2016 singularitybobschlobbaconstangpropodai46spliff monkey
  • Reply 106 of 278
    xbit said:
    As a Brit, I'm glad that I won't have to choose between Trump and Clinton. Only, Johnson and Corbyn... oh dear god, no....  :'(

Ah, but you have your Royals ...  Slangevar!

• Reply 107 of 278
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    apple ][ said:
    flaneur said:
    This is the level of insanity represented by Trump and his supporters. 

There is no way Apple would want to be associated with this descent into barbarism. People still remember the American companies that supported and collaborated with Hitler — people who know history, that is — and I'm sure that CEOs like Cook and Nadella will do all they can to avoid an equivalent disaster.
    The war that I am talking about is of course the war (call it whatever you like) to completely wipe out and demolish ISIS, unlike Obama, who wrongly believes that containment is an acceptable stance, and a man who once referred to ISIS as the JV team, in one of his many idiotic and unintelligent statements a while back.

It's time to shift out the incompetent current potus from the WH, and replace him with a man with a plan.

And that man is of course Donald Trump. After he's sworn in, ISIS had better start counting their days on this earth, because they're all going to have to die. That's just how things are. Getting rid of ISIS is high on the Trump agenda.
    8,000 US service men/women are killing themselves every year as it is. Stop thinking " we'll just wipe them out". Correct me if I am wrong but we were on the other side of the war in Afganastan supporting Bin Laden at one point and the problem grew far worse after we removed Sudam Hussain in Iraq. If we just look at the past 10 years that's 80,000 suicides. We are killing ourselves faster then the enemy. Trump is completely out touch with reality has no moral boundaries and self consumed. We have had Obama for 8 years and it was supposed to be the end of the world once he entered office and unemployment is down 5% from 10% and gas is 40% cheaper. Yes, he hasn't been the best President and Hillary won't be any better but if Paul Ryan would have run ihe would win easily against Hillary. 
    edited June 2016 spliff monkey
  • Reply 108 of 278
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    $140,000 in hardware from one vendor for one conference?

The amount of money in the US political process is nuts.
    patchythepiratespliff monkey
  • Reply 109 of 278
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    apple ][ said:

The war that I am talking about is of course the war (call it whatever you like) to completely wipe out and demolish ISIS, unlike Obama, who wrongly believes that containment is an acceptable stance, and a man who once referred to ISIS as the JV team, in one of his many idiotic and unintelligent statements a while back.

It's time to shift out the incompetent current potus from the WH, and replace him with a man with a plan.

And that man is of course Donald Trump. After he's sworn in, ISIS had better start counting their days on this earth, because they're all going to have to die. That's just how things are. Getting rid of ISIS is high on the Trump agenda.
    Do you really believe that the military is not doing all they can to defeat ISIS?

Should the military commit war crimes and purposely kill innocent civilians?

Do you have children in the military? (you never answered)

quadra 610baconstangspliff monkeytyler82jackansi
  • Reply 110 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So no official comment from Apple just "sources" who spoke to Politico? 
    Politico is to political coverage what TMZ is to celebrity coverage. In other words, just invent a story to fill some space.
    baconstangtallest skilspliff monkey
  • Reply 111 of 278
    Actions by big companies like Apple only make me a stronger supporter of Trump.  The hypocrisy of both political parties drives me nut, however Clinton with all her back room deals, which support her financially, tops the cake.  "Come on America - wake up!"
    tallest skilapple ][
  • Reply 112 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This isn't even about picking sides - the presumptive nominee publicly ridiculed apple and called for a boycott of their products multiple times, why on earth would they now give him a free ride.
    Democrats conveniently push this out of their "collective consciousness"?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/wheres-obamas-encryption-policy

tallest skil
  • Reply 113 of 278
    It seems to me more of terminating a sponsorship than anything else.
    baconstangspliff monkey
  • Reply 114 of 278
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jlandd said:

We could use an intelligent and savvy loose cannon who has a record of success.  But Trump simply has none of the tools necessary for the job, and his string of dubious self proclaimed successes only mean he knows how to walk away from failed projects with another few million in his pocket.   It's unfortunate that we aren't being given much of a choice, but Trump is a laughing stock to the rest of the world's leaders and to say he hasn't got a chance in international negotiations would be being generous.
    To be honest, the general opinions of other countries are irrelevant. Trump is not Hitler, so the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over him versus career criminal Clinton I find laughable.
    It's true that Hitler showed more cunning, intellect and focus than Trump, and even more understanding of cause and effect, but both used exactly the same appeal to the fear-scarred reptile brains of their "loser" followers as the basis of their popularity.

Trump is far more dangerous than Hitler was simply because in the present nuclear weapons context. One doesn't need years to build up a fascist war apparatus to destroy civilization. An American Great Leader can just blunder and stumble into an atomic apocalypse.

By the way, many here have been duped by years of right wing poison propaganda about the Clintons. Such naiveté exists because people don't read enough to recognize trash like "Clinton Cash" for what it is: "right-wing guttersniping," as even Newsweek called it.

edited June 2016 dsdbaconstangpropodai46spliff monkey
  • Reply 115 of 278
    Democrats conveniently push this out of their "collective consciousness"?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/wheres-obamas-encryption-policy

That article basically says that Obama didn't pick a side on encryption. What's to "push out"? 
    baconstangspliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 116 of 278
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Why would Apple spend a dime to support Trump? His trade policies would be disasterous for Apple's operations, in China, and Trump's rhetoric against woman and minorities are antithetical to Apple's values. Finally, Apple probably doesn't want to spend a dime on a candidate who is simply not qualified to be president let alone hold public office. Kudos to Tim Cook!
    baconstangspliff monkey
  • Reply 117 of 278
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    You Republicans are HILARIOUS.

Apple is not boycotting Republicans; they are not refusing to sell products in red states; they are not refusing to provide warrantied technical support to Donald Trump for his iPhone... they are simply not giving the GOP FREE goodies to hold a convention where they are going to mock Apple employees' ethnicity, call for a boycott of the company, and make other direct and indirect attacks on Apple's business and culture.

Only  "conservatives" would think they have a right to free stuff from a company while assailing it from every angle.  LOL.
    edited June 2016 r2d2singularityericthehalfbeenolamacguymac_dogbaconstangboopthesnootspliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 118 of 278
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    lostkiwi said:
    This will be interesting. There is a large and extremely vocal group of Republican/Trump supporters here on AI. Personally I can't understand why as Apple is the most left leaning American company I can think of in the most left leaning state. 

I'm not American but it is so gosh darn interesting watching your politics. It is a mixture of the most toxic reality TV series combined with the naked tribalism of a collegiate final (insert the sport of your choice). 

Fascinating. And horrifying at once. 
    After all we have done for you big business this is how you repay us (or rather, don't repay us)? - Pro Business GOPers.
  • Reply 119 of 278
    novaroam said:
    Actions by big companies like Apple only make me a stronger supporter of Trump.  The hypocrisy of both political parties drives me nut, however Clinton with all her back room deals, which support her financially, tops the cake.  "Come on America - wake up!"
    How do you feel about the backroom deals that Trump has admitted making with Clinton and other politicians supporting them financially?

baconstangspliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 120 of 278
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member

sector7g said:
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

I hate this particular argument, as it basically suggests if you can't save the entire world, you shouldn't try anywhere. Apple is a US based company and if it's going to try and make a difference it will have more impact at home, than in a foreign country. 

It also discounts the fact that Apple could be working behind the scenes to make changes (however incremental) in these place. If I remember correctly, backdoors in phone software was taken out of a bill in England recently in part because of Apple. 
    baconstangai46spliff monkey