Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 121 of 278
    I'll be smiling when Hillary beats Trump and becomes President. The whining and excuses coming from the Trump side are going to be epic.
    bobschlobradiospacebaconstangspliff monkey
  • Reply 122 of 278
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member

apple ][ said:
    Haha, how pathetic and how hypocritical and how predictable.

Haha. An unexpected side benefit of Apple's stand - to get you off the forum! I mean why would you want to associate with a pathetic, hypocritical and (politically?) predictable company.
    roundaboutnowbobschlobsingularitybaconstangai46boopthesnootspliff monkey
  • Reply 123 of 278
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc, etc - yeah, don't take sides or express an opinion.
    r2d2bobschlobbaconstangspliff monkey
  • Reply 123 of 278
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Regardless of what anyone might think of Trump...this country cannot survive another idiot liberal presidency. 
     Social justice politically correct bullshit has had its day... Time for a return to common sense and sound economic growth. 
    tallest skilapple ][
  • Reply 125 of 278
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    TurboPGT said:
    Regardless of what anyone might think of Trump...this country cannot survive another idiot liberal presidency. 
     Social justice politically correct bullshit has had its day... Time for a return to common sense and sound economic growth. 
    I believe the type of  "common sense and sound economic growth" you want to return to almost sank the country and only happened under the last Clinton administration.
    bobschlobbaconstangcnocbuijackansi
  • Reply 126 of 278
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.
    GREAT post. Where are the Apple boycott on Clinton the lying, murderous war criminal. IT is a choice between the lesser of two evils. And from what I have seen, Trump is a demon, but Clinton is Satan himself. 

Seems Apple is forgetting that America is a place of freedom - speech, religion, choice, etc. 

I like Apple, but censorship is wrong. And that's all this is.
    Apple isn't the gov't.   it isn't censoring.  It's making a business decision.  There is no requirement for Apple to _give_ money/skills to any group, at any time.  They can choose to do so, or not, and deal with the consequences.  Somehow, that's the most American thing about America.

r2d2baconstangcnocbui
  • Reply 127 of 278
    Writing from outside the country, in Asia.  Things from a distance look at mite different.  Having watched all the debates and candidates directly, I've come to the conclusion that Trump is far better than Clinton for president.  The U.S. mainstream media and political establishment are in full propaganda mode, actually worse than CCTV in China.   Maybe inside the U.S. it's not so apparent.  In my opinion Apple would do well to stay outside politics, particularly with HRC, who is a quite dangerous candidate, imo. 
    patchythepiratetallest skilapple ][
  • Reply 128 of 278
    sector7g said:
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

I hate this particular argument, as it basically suggests if you can't save the entire world, you shouldn't try anywhere. Apple is a US based company and if it's going to try and make a difference it will have more impact at home, than in a foreign country. 

I agree, and what about other forms of 'power corrupting' and how we should use the power of the 

Japanese fishermen kills whales - No Phones for Japan?  
    The Catholic Church Degrades Women... should we have a 'Church Check' before someone sells you a phone?
    The Boy Scouts discriminates against Gays... therefore no donations to them or the United Way (who donates to them)
    The Baylor Football Team degrades women,  Should we not sell Mac's at the campus bookstore?   
    GMC is burning a hole in our ozone layer... we should not sell Apple Watches to Chevy drivers?

It's not ironic.  It's a Red Herring.

The bottom line is Apple will sell their product to anyone.  That's the ultimate in 'equal rights'.   But how they spend their time and money in support (or lack ) of Political PARTIES, is their choice.  A choice which is in the US, is an inalienable liberty
    baconstang
  • Reply 129 of 278
    Too bad. Dell is in Austin - republican state of Texas. I am just saying.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 130 of 278
    Without having read all the comments, I agree with those who pine for an apolitical Apple, such as was the case prior to Tim Cook. All this crap distracts from their once-obsessive focus on the products they design, and it is starting to show. 
    tallest skilapple ][
  • Reply 131 of 278
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jungmark said:
    dacloo said:
    Why is that? Why should they be 'neutral'?
    Because they're a business.
    Was going to ask what country you live in? 
    But 'what planet do you live on?' is more appropriate.
    baconstang
  • Reply 132 of 278
    apple ][ said:
    Haha, how pathetic and how hypocritical and how predictable.

Apple leading the effort to ban gun emojis, while at the same time funding a Dr Dre series, which reportedly has no shortage of violence and sex. So an emoji is bad, but a series with sex and violence is ok, got it.

Apple coming out strongly against bathroom laws in North Carolina, while at the same time doing business in many countries that executes gays, lol. 

Does Apple support illegal immigration and criminals? Yep, it sure looks like it.

Apple is becoming more and more anti-American, I'm sorry to say.

Apple was never this political under Steve Jobs. I'm not the first to say this, but I miss Steve Jobs being in charge of Apple.

anyone can see type an emoji.   You need a Credit Card (18, an adult) to have the freedom to access a iTunes Movie.   Isn't Freedom of Expression an American Ideal?

And you laugh at the thought of executions of innocents?  

And by your logic Apple shouldn't sell phones in the US, because we execute innocent people every year (see the Innocence Project).  Okay, where should Apple Sell phones?

I'm not trying to defend apple as a perfect company, and by your  definition of what Apple is, and how I see the US, it's about as American Company as there can be (No less American than say, GM, or Exxon/Mobil, or Goldman Sachs, or Wal Mart, or Target, or Disney).

The primary argument is that if the BoD approves apple spending or not spending money on a political convention... that's their choice. They are responsible for the repercussions of that choice, but in no way can the gov't, the public, or anyone else consider it unfair... 

baconstang
  • Reply 133 of 278
    jungmark said:
    I don’t think Apple should pick sides...
    Exactly. Why would they back it in the first place?!
    I have no problem with Apple Picking Sides, except as a stockholder, if I think they going to impact my return on investment.  

Leadership is all about making decisions. I expect Apple to make them.   Not all of them will be nuanced, and some may be contridictory with past decisions.   But I expect Apple's leadership team to Lead, and to make hard decisions... some of which a majority of people won't like, but may be the right decision when balancing all the current and future employees, consumers, stockholders opinions and needs.
    baconstang
  • Reply 134 of 278
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    TurboPGT said:
    except the country is doing better by every metric today than 8 years ago. oops. 
    singularityradiospacer2d2baconstangpropodai46spliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 135 of 278
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    TurboPGT said:
    You mean this common sense? (Not sure the links will copy over)

“I have no intention of running for president.” (Time, September 14, 1987)

“I am officially running for president.” (New York, June 16, 2015

“I don’t want it for myself. I don’t need it for myself.” (ABC News, November 20, 2015

“I wanted to do this for myself. … I had to do it for myself.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“Politicians are all talk and no action.” (Twitter, May 27, 2015

“I’m not a politician.” (CNN, August 11, 2015

“I’m no different than a politician running for office.” (New York Times, July 28, 2015

“If I ever ran for office, I’d do better as a Democrat than as a Republican—and that’s not because I’d be more liberal, because I’m conservative.” (Playboy, March 1990

“I’m a registered Republican. I’m a pretty conservative guy. I’m somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“You’d be shocked if I said that in many cases I probably identify more as a Democrat.” (CNN, March 21, 2004

“Look, I’m a Republican. I’m a very conservative guy in many respects—I guess in most respects.” (The Hugh Hewitt Show, February 25, 2015

“I’ve actually been an activist Democrat and Republican.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“Folks, I’m a conservative, but at this point, who cares? We got to straighten out the country.” (Burlingame, California, April 29, 2016

“I’m totally pro-choice.” (Fox News, October 31, 1999) 

“I’m pro-life.” (CPAC, February 10, 2011

“Look, I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject, but you still—I just believe in choice. … I am strongly for choice, and yet I hate the concept of abortion. … I am pro-choice in every respect … but I just hate it.” (NBC News, October 24, 1999

“I am very, very proud to say that I’m pro-life.” (Cleveland, Ohio, August 6, 2015

“I think the institution of marriage should be between a man and a woman.” (The Advocate, February 15, 2000

“If two people dig each other, they dig each other.” (Trump University “Trump Blog,” December 22, 2005

“I’m against gay marriage.” (Fox News, April 14, 2011

“It’s like in golf. A lot of people—I don’t want this to sound trivial—but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.” (New York Times, May 1, 2011

“It’s always good to do things nice and complicated so that nobody can figure it out.” (The New Yorker, May 19, 1997

“The simplest approach is often the most effective.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“My attention span is short.” (Trump: Surviving at the Top, 1990) 

“I have an attention span that’s as long as it has to be.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“I prefer to come to work each day and just see what develops.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“You can’t just sit around waiting for deals, opportunities, or a lucky break.” (Trump: Think Big, 2007) 

“I look at things for the art sake and the beauty sake and for the deal sake.” (New York magazine, July 11, 1988

“I’m just a f@@@ing businessman.” (Fortune, April 19, 2004)

baconstangcnocbuispliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 136 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    xbit said:
    As a Brit, I'm glad that I won't have to choose between Trump and Clinton. Only, Johnson and Corbyn... oh dear god, no....  :'(
    You're voting to leave the EU, right?

trollkiller
  • Reply 137 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cnocbui said:
    Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc, etc - yeah, don't take sides or express an opinion.
    No argument. Just shitposting. Welcome to liberal politics. That is, of course, until they hit a wall. Then they start the executions.
    r2d2 said:
    I believe the type of  "common sense and sound economic growth" you want to return to almost sank the country and only happened under the last Clinton administration.
    Well, given that he said nothing about what he wanted, you cannot possibly make that claim.
    except the country is doing better by every metric today than 8 years ago. oops. 
    Let me get off my iPad and blow you the fuck out.

EDIT: 
    bulk001 said:
    [garbage]
    You, too; hang on.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzfWJ6V5nyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8c2Cq-vpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwJZGlC5lXM
    edited June 2016 elijahgapple ][trollkiller
  • Reply 138 of 278
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    taosjake said:
    Writing from outside the country, in Asia.  Things from a distance look at mite different.  Having watched all the debates and candidates directly, I've come to the conclusion that Trump is far better than Clinton for president.  The U.S. mainstream media and political establishment are in full propaganda mode, actually worse than CCTV in China.   Maybe inside the U.S. it's not so apparent.  In my opinion Apple would do well to stay outside politics, particularly with HRC, who is a quite dangerous candidate, imo. 

Trump can't create one whole coherent sentence, has dozens of failed businesses, has less money than what he inherited decades ago and is demonstrably a racist, a xenophobe with no foreign experience and seemingly from his interviews no clue about economics either. Not only that, the GOP are the ones that created the world wide malaise of the last 10 years with Bush's polices that destroyed the world economy and sent the middle east into a tailspin. That the GOP has controlled congress for most of the last 8 years seems to have escaped you; maybe its time you concentrated on whatever dictatorship your currently living in...

Conclusion from you to all that, addled brain : "Trumpie is my hero".(sic)
    edited June 2016 singularitybaconstangbobschlobspliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 139 of 278
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Without having read all the comments, I agree with those who pine for an apolitical Apple, such as was the case prior to Tim Cook. All this crap distracts from their once-obsessive focus on the products they design, and it is starting to show. 
    Apple wasn't Apolitical, just had less leverage. Jobs certainly had his well known opinions on many things , and Apple WAS Jobs.
    baconstangspliff monkeyjackansi
  • Reply 140 of 278
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Let me get off my iPad and blow you the fuck out.

Of course, numbers by themselves don't tell the whole story. 

Edit: Guess I should add this -

http://correctrecord.org/

Edit, edit: The funny thing is that most of your chart can be directly tied to ... (wait for it) ...George Bush's administration.

edited June 2016 baconstangsingularitypropodericthehalfbeespliff monkeybobschlobjackansicnocbui