Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 201 of 278
    So no official comment from Apple, just "sources" according to Politico? Why wouldn't Apple officially comment on this? If Tim Cook is going to take a stand like this don't hide behind no comment.
    How often does Apple or Tim Cook respond to 'sources'?
    baconstang
  • Reply 202 of 278

foad said:
    Historically, Apple has supported both conventions. They don't take sides. They are only taking a stand because of Trump. Heck, most people in the GOP don't support him. They don't really have any other choice. I know a lot of conservatives that aren't voting this year because of Trump. Beyond his political boasting, he has directly targeted Apple. Why is Apple required to support the GOP convention? I don't get it.

If anything, I commend them for having principals. We live in a country that gives us the right to choose what path we take. If Apple shareholders or employees have an issue, get out of the stock or quit your job, but I'm guessing most employees support the decision.
    Word! Because bloggers will take ANY and EVERY opportunity to slam Apple, if Apple had supported the GOP, bloggers would have written that Apple was attempting to pay hush money to Trump get him not to pursue his plan to force the company to bring manufacturing back to the USA and to stop the boycott of all Apple products (which was ineffective anyway). 
  • Reply 203 of 278
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Apple use to be smarter than this.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 204 of 278
    What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites!  Mr. Cook is more than willing to do business with, and take billions from, one of the most repressive and anti-gay governments in the world - China!  He's willing to kiss their rear ends for a buck - but gets all high and mighty regarding Trump.  I've been an Apple fan and customer since 1984, but it's ending today.  I've had enough of this liberal two faced b.s.  Will be investigating high end Windows 10 laptops today.
    tallest skilapple ][taosjake
  • Reply 205 of 278
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    emblemex said:
    What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites!  Mr. Cook is more than willing to do business with, and take billions from, one of the most repressive and anti-gay governments in the world - China!  He's willing to kiss their rear ends for a buck - but gets all high and mighty regarding Trump.  I've been an Apple fan and customer since 1984, but it's ending today.  I've had enough of this liberal two faced b.s.  Will be investigating high end Windows 10 laptops today.
    Of course you will.
    jackansibaconstangr2d2
  • Reply 206 of 278
    Really Apple 
    How you looked how China, India or any Middle East country treats their woman. Of course not,  became you are a  hypocrite. 
    tallest skiltaosjake
  • Reply 207 of 278
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    xbit said:
    As a Brit, I'm glad that I won't have to choose between Trump and Clinton. Only, Johnson and Corbyn... oh dear god, no....  :'(
    You're voting to leave the EU, right?

As someone who has enjoyed the benefits of EU membership tremendously, I'm voting to remain.
    singularitycrowleybaconstang
  • Reply 208 of 278
    This is a major FAIL on Apple's part.  Never take sides in Politics, you never know who'll be in power.

They should know by now, politics is about all "What Have You Done For Me Lately?".
    spacekidtallest skil
  • Reply 209 of 278
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Nice going AI, trolling your own website.
    ai46
  • Reply 210 of 278

lostkiwi said:
    This will be interesting. There is a large and extremely vocal group of Republican/Trump supporters here on AI. Personally I can't understand why as Apple is the most left leaning American company I can think of in the most left leaning state. 

I'm not American but it is so gosh darn interesting watching your politics. It is a mixture of the most toxic reality TV series combined with the naked tribalism of a collegiate final (insert the sport of your choice). 

Fascinating. And horrifying at once. 
    You mean California, where the most popular modern Republican President, Reagan, came from?

In case you didn't know, Trump supporters tend to be social moderate/liberal but fiscally conservative.  Think of them as a mix of republicans x libertarians.
  • Reply 211 of 278
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    TurboPGT said:
    Regardless of what anyone might think of Trump...this country cannot survive another idiot liberal presidency. 
     Social justice politically correct bullshit has had its day... Time for a return to common sense and sound economic growth. 
    except the country is doing better by every metric today than 8 years ago. oops. 
    Hahaha, dear god. That is false in every imaginable way. The middle class has been destroyed. Obamacare is a disaster. Debt. Unemployment. Troops deployed. Terror attacks.

I used to think liberal politics were sound, but the modern liberal is a wolf in sheep's clothing. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 212 of 278
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member

bulk001 said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Regardless of what anyone might think of Trump...this country cannot survive another idiot liberal presidency. 
     Social justice politically correct bullshit has had its day... Time for a return to common sense and sound economic growth. 
    You mean this common sense? (Not sure the links will copy over)

“I have no intention of running for president.” (Time, September 14, 1987)

“I am officially running for president.” (New York, June 16, 2015

“I don’t want it for myself. I don’t need it for myself.” (ABC News, November 20, 2015

“I wanted to do this for myself. … I had to do it for myself.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“Politicians are all talk and no action.” (Twitter, May 27, 2015

“I’m not a politician.” (CNN, August 11, 2015

“I’m no different than a politician running for office.” (New York Times, July 28, 2015

“If I ever ran for office, I’d do better as a Democrat than as a Republican—and that’s not because I’d be more liberal, because I’m conservative.” (Playboy, March 1990

“I’m a registered Republican. I’m a pretty conservative guy. I’m somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“You’d be shocked if I said that in many cases I probably identify more as a Democrat.” (CNN, March 21, 2004

“Look, I’m a Republican. I’m a very conservative guy in many respects—I guess in most respects.” (The Hugh Hewitt Show, February 25, 2015

“I’ve actually been an activist Democrat and Republican.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“Folks, I’m a conservative, but at this point, who cares? We got to straighten out the country.” (Burlingame, California, April 29, 2016

“I’m totally pro-choice.” (Fox News, October 31, 1999) 

“I’m pro-life.” (CPAC, February 10, 2011

“Look, I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject, but you still—I just believe in choice. … I am strongly for choice, and yet I hate the concept of abortion. … I am pro-choice in every respect … but I just hate it.” (NBC News, October 24, 1999

“I am very, very proud to say that I’m pro-life.” (Cleveland, Ohio, August 6, 2015

“I think the institution of marriage should be between a man and a woman.” (The Advocate, February 15, 2000

“If two people dig each other, they dig each other.” (Trump University “Trump Blog,” December 22, 2005

“I’m against gay marriage.” (Fox News, April 14, 2011

“It’s like in golf. A lot of people—I don’t want this to sound trivial—but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.” (New York Times, May 1, 2011

“It’s always good to do things nice and complicated so that nobody can figure it out.” (The New Yorker, May 19, 1997

“The simplest approach is often the most effective.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“My attention span is short.” (Trump: Surviving at the Top, 1990) 

“I have an attention span that’s as long as it has to be.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“I prefer to come to work each day and just see what develops.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“You can’t just sit around waiting for deals, opportunities, or a lucky break.” (Trump: Think Big, 2007) 

“I look at things for the art sake and the beauty sake and for the deal sake.” (New York magazine, July 11, 1988

“I’m just a f@@@ing businessman.” (Fortune, April 19, 2004)

What are you trying to show me here? That Donald Trump is a person who likes to run his mouth, and you have no idea what's coming next? Well thank fucking christ someone like that is actually in the running for potus, and not just another pre-made puppet to continue the diseased agenda.
    tallest skiltaosjake
  • Reply 213 of 278
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    It is interesting, and a little scary, to follow this discussion. 

How is it possible to compare this to selling computers in any country? Apple has decided not to sponsor a candidate that has openly said that he will implement policies that will most probably  influence Apple (and any American company) negatively. Where has Apple ever said that they will not sell computers to republicans? That is what you are implying. Or are you implying that they are giving computers to heads of state in Saudi-Arabia, India, China and other countries that you do not like? 

If I could vote, I would vote for Clinton since there are only two real candidates. I'm sure there are lots of issues with her, but at least she is predictable and responsible. Trump is a loose cannon. Neither responsible nor predictable. The problem is not, for me, what he would do to USA, but what he can do to the rest of the world. USA today is a trigger-happy war-machine that influences not just itself, but also the rest of the world, and recently not in a good way.
    singularitybaconstangai46
  • Reply 214 of 278
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    And yet Apple sells products in countries that do worse.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 215 of 278
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    sector7g said:
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

I hate this particular argument, as it basically suggests if you can't save the entire world, you shouldn't try anywhere. Apple is a US based company and if it's going to try and make a difference it will have more impact at home, than in a foreign country. 

No, it shows if you have strong beliefs, you stand by them. Not selling Apple products in other countries that do these same things would have a strong impact. The only reason they are doing it here in this one case is they don't think it will affect sales much.
  • Reply 216 of 278
    When have they given computers to the (i.e. sponsored) Saudis, politicians in India, China etc...? Apple is a company. They sell computers, they don't give them away. They can sponsor things they agree with, but why should they sponsor policies they don't agree with and which may actually harm them as a company? 
    baconstangai46
  • Reply 217 of 278
    zrmanzrman Posts: 7member
    Apple has overstepped it's bounds. Their power, money and influence was earned on the backs of a diverse customer base with no singular political bend. It's investors are equally diverse. Officers of the company, acting on behalf of the company, so overtly in support of a specific party in an election cycle is a detriment to it's core mission of  returning value to shareholders. While the officers of the company have the right to individually support whomever they choose and to support any social agenda they choose.. it is a breach of their responsibility to shareholders to compromise it's customer base and in turn, it's shareholders by using the company's money, power and influence to aid and abet a specific political part.

tallest skil
  • Reply 218 of 278
    Not at all. They have refused to sponsor a politician that wants people to boycott Apple and to harm Apples business by making it harder for them to compete. They are acting responsible as a company, seeking to optimize  profit for their owners. They are doing exactly what they should do. 
    singularitybaconstangr2d2ai46
  • Reply 219 of 278
    zrmanzrman Posts: 7member
    tryd said:
    Not at all. They have refused to sponsor a politician that wants people to boycott Apple and to harm Apples business by making it harder for them to compete. They are acting responsible as a company, seeking to optimize  profit for their owners. They are doing exactly what they should do. 
    How is it "harmful" to Apple and America to want any US business to manufacture in the United States in support of US jobs? How is it harmful to Apple to support allowing Apple to bring it's cash back into the US at highly reduced tax rates so as to allow Apple to invest in US manufacturing? 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 220 of 278
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sennen said:
    Trump and his views are abhorrent. Well done, Apple.
    Clinton and Obama's actual performance in their respective offices have been abysmal. Tim should not steer Apple toward support of any individual politicians or parties unless Apple's interests are directly affected.
    edited June 2016 tallest skil