Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 221 of 278
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    zrman said:
    tryd said:
    Not at all. They have refused to sponsor a politician that wants people to boycott Apple and to harm Apples business by making it harder for them to compete. They are acting responsible as a company, seeking to optimize  profit for their owners. They are doing exactly what they should do. 
    How is it "harmful" to Apple and America to want any US business to manufacture in the United States in support of US jobs? How is it harmful to Apple to support allowing Apple to bring it's cash back into the US at highly reduced tax rates so as to allow Apple to invest in US manufacturing? 
    You are all very fond of global companies, and one of the necessary effects of this is that you produce where this gives the best cost/benefit-ratio for the company. Forcing American companies to move production back to the US, while foreign companies are free to produce where they can do it most cheaply is playing into the hands of non-American companies. For me, not being American, I really wouldn't mind, but I find it strange that you would want to. 
    singularitybaconstangr2d2
  • Reply 222 of 278
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Most comment sections online including this one are filled with angry white men who see their importance in their society waning. They latch onto any article they find online regardless if it is base on facts and consider it proof that their anger is justified. They often include charts with arrows going up and down dramatically to "prove" that what they believe is real and factual. They are not here to have an exchange of ideas and possibly learn something from someone else's point of view just to bully anyone that does not see it their way. They are most likely unemployed so have countless hours to simmer and spew insults at liberal causes or policy makers. They are now critics of Apple although they seem to be unable to live without Apple products. Unlike living in a democracy which being active in the political discussion can affect change, Apple is a corporation that will do as it pleases and could care less of what these fringe people think. There are many products in the world similar to Apple's but these devout consumers refuse to buy them and show Apple the only actual power they have as consumers. So they endlessly post ridiculous angry comments with thinly veiled hate at Tim Cook not so much because they don't like Apple standing up for progressive ideas but perhaps because he is gay. 
    singularitycrowleyjackansibaconstangr2d2
  • Reply 223 of 278
    I'm glad Apple has the integrity to stand up against trump.
    We need to stand up for what we believe in and I'm proud Apple had made this decision.
    I'd love to see all manufacturing of Apple products brought back to the US, but Americans will not work for the wages the overseas production plants pay and even if they would work for below union wages, could US workers produce the quality of work that is done overseas?
    Apple products require an extraordinary high manufacturing standard - something you only see in small shops in the US that supply to, lets say, Room & Board & TwelveSouth for starters.
    baconstangr2d2ai46
  • Reply 224 of 278
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    You know, maybe instead of Apple throwing it's hat so much in the political ring, maybe they should… I dunno… innovate?!?

I wasn't impressed with anything that came out of Apple this WWDC…

A lot of the functionality they are adding to iOS has been copied from Android. AppleTV is so DOA they are letting Sling offer the service Apple couldn't negotiate.  Apple Music is a still trying to clean up its mess of an interface a year later. We're now at the 3rd regineering of the watchOS to get it to a point where people will actually understand / use it. And, compared to the rest of the industry, HomeKit is an also ran joke (Amazon Echo's home integration is awesome).

Methinks Cook needs tend to his own house before getting involved in Presidential politics.
    tallest skiltaosjake
  • Reply 225 of 278
    spice-boy said:
    Most comment sections online including this one are filled with angry white men who see their importance in their society waning.
    Racist.
    tallest skilapple ][ai46taosjake
  • Reply 226 of 278
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    smaffei said:

Methinks Cook needs tend to his own house before getting involved in Presidential politics.
    Well they just saved themselves $140k and a whole lot of hassle, so this move should help with that.

and those new file systems and frameworks don't write themselves.
    edited June 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 227 of 278
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    I do love threads like this.  Gives me all the people that should be added to the ignore list that I may have missed.   B)
    baconstang
  • Reply 228 of 278
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    apple ][ said:
    r2d2 said:
    Do you really believe that the military is not doing all they can to defeat ISIS?

Should the military commit war crimes and purposely kill innocent civilians?

Do you have children in the military? (you never answered)
    1. Absolutely. An advanced army like ours can totally wipe out ISIS if that was the objective. It's not the military's fault of course, our military people are great, but Obama is deliberately not wanting to get rid of ISIS. It's obviously not a big deal to him. And our military is forced to fight with their hands tied behind their backs, because of disgraceful and immoral PC rules that have been imposed on them.

2. It would depend by what you mean when you write "innocent civilians". I would guess that my definition is not the same that many on the left hold. For example, a terrorist's family does not qualify as innocent civilians, and they should not be afforded any such protections.  

3. No.
    It's hard to kill 500,000 of the enemy and not create soldiers of their sons and daughters after 13 years of war. In another decade people will forget their ideology but not who killed their families. The enemy numbers will only grow even greater because the relatives of the killed will vow revenge. Dropping daisy cutters at every know ISIS location will spawn even more enemies because more and more Muslims will sympathize. The so called Weapons of Mass destruction seem really small compared to the devastation of human life on both sides. More US service men/women are killing themselves every year than all of 911. That number will reach 100,000 very soon. 
    baconstangr2d2
  • Reply 229 of 278
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Trump is a bit of a loose cannon, he really does need to think about what he is going to say before he says things.  i.e. Stupid comments like making Apple manufacture all products in the U.S. is just unrealistic and maligned to liberty.

Gary Johnson 2016!
  • Reply 230 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's not like I had four bankruptcies.
    WOW MORE LEFTIST SHITPOSTING! Get a clue.

You cannot defeat an idea by force.
    Of course you can. What kind of nonsense is that? That’s the only way to defeat an idea that does not and can not listen to reason.
    bulk001 said:
    Hey, I'm not the one here posting graphs to prove a point and gets caught out. That would be you. So who really is the illiterate one TS?
    You, since you apparently didn’t look at the graphs and no one was “caught out”.

Have a goddamn argument. Is it really that hard for people to do something that hurts their feelings these days? That’s the foundation of your fucking worldview, it seems. That’s the subtle tyranny of liberal hedonism: One cannot have freedom without pain; when all you’ve ever known is indulgence, the slightest discomfort becomes unimaginable. They’ll do fucking ANYTHING to make themselves feel good again.

bulk001 said:
    who is the one who posted a graph to prove a point that actually undermined his whole argument? Want me TS. So, who really is the illiterate one? 
    Again, not me. It’s not fucking Bush’s fault. Grow the fuck up and take some responsibility for your actions.
    xbit said:
    As someone who has enjoyed the benefits of EU membership tremendously, I'm voting to remain.
    Ah, a moocher. Got it. Enjoy your children being raped and sold into slavery.

tryd said:
    why should they sponsor policies they don't agree with and which may actually harm them as a company? 
    Does not boycotting nations who kill gays not hurt their image as a gay-accepting company?
    try said:
    Forcing American companies to move production back to the US, while foreign companies are free to produce where they can do it most cheaply is playing into the hands of non-American companies. 
    In no way, because the tariffs that will be implemented will make the domestic companies’ products cheaper than the foreign ones. UNLESS they also bring their manufacturing here. That’s how it works in every single other country on the planet (except Europe, which is cuckolded even worse than we are), so I’m in favor of actually putting the US first for a change.
    spice-boy said:
    Most comment sections online including this one are filled with angry white men who see their importance in their society waning.
    Oh, so you’re just racist. And removed from reality, too, it seems.
    Unlike living in a democracy which...
    ...America is not...
    Apple is a corporation that will do as it pleases and could care less of what these fringe people think.
    Seems you think that what you say is magically truth because you said it. It’s subtle–and you may not even know you’re doing it, yourself–but calling people ‘fringe’ without evidence thereof (and with the facts against you) will only result in the aforementioned pain as a result of growing up in hedonistic delight.
    Gary Johnson 2016!
    Gary Johnson, the man who literally BOUGHT BACK A GUN as his first action as candidate. Really screaming ‘I support American values’ there, Gar-bear.

Never mind the abject failings of libertarian ideology in the first place...
    edited June 2016 zrmantaosjake
  • Reply 231 of 278

Trump can't create one whole coherent sentence, has dozens of failed businesses, has less money than what he inherited decades ago and is demonstrably a racist, a xenophobe with no foreign experience and seemingly from his interviews no clue about economics either. Not only that, the GOP are the ones that created the world wide malaise of the last 10 years with Bush's polices that destroyed the world economy and sent the middle east into a tailspin. That the GOP has controlled congress for most of the last 8 years seems to have escaped you; maybe its time you concentrated on whatever dictatorship your currently living in...

Conclusion from you to all that, addled brain : "Trumpie is my hero".(sic)
    You aren't successful unless you FAIL. And he's done that enough times to know what he's doing. This country needs a businessman, not a politician.
    tallest skilicoco3zrmantaosjake
  • Reply 232 of 278
    bdkennedy said:
    This country needs a businessman, not a politician.
    I’ve always felt that it should be illegal for politicians to hold office. There’s no sense in them being there. You should have to have at least a decade (federal level) of experience in an actual job (and, from there, only a job that would lend to success in the given field would be electable) to be considered.

Let the politicians get you elected. Hell, have that entire process happen independently of your work, because if they’re just doing their own shit, you can just laugh in their faces when they tell you you’re now magically beholden to such and such because of its support. 

We need lawyers in Congress, but we also need accountants, engineers, a token psychologist, etc.
    taosjake
  • Reply 233 of 278
    pjmazzpjmazz Posts: 1member
    Despite having provided aid in the past, Apple is withholding financial and technological support from this year's Republican presidential convention -- owing to controversial positions by candidate Donald Trump, a report claimed on Saturday.

The company privately told Republicans it won't offer support because of Trump's comments on minorities, women, and immigrants, according to two Politico sources. The website didn't say whether the topic of Trump's direct criticisms of Apple came up in discussions.

In January, Trump promised to make Apple manufacture its products in the U.S. instead of overseas. A month later, he suggested people should boycott Apple unless it backed down in its fight with the Department of Justice over unlocking the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

Later on it was found that Trump's Twitter account was still being updated from an iPhone, and that he owned over $1 million in Apple shares.

Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are still supporting this year's GOP convention, despite having sometimes expressed their own concerns about Trump. Apple has traditionally curried favor by backing both Democratic and Republican conventions -- in 2008, for instance, it supplied roughly $140,000 in MacBooks and other materials to the two parties. It skipped 2012, when the Democrats decided against taking corporate donations for their event.

Opposition to Trump may be steep at Apple. In March, stopping his presidential run was allegedly the main topic of discussion in a meeting with GOP representatives attended by Apple CEO Tim Cook and other tech industry figures, as well as various financial giants and politicians.

This weekend is proving an unusually political one for Apple, as Lisa Jackson -- the company's VP Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives -- said she will be speaking at the Bay Area Women's Summit on June 21. Many other prominent figures will be at the event, like the mayors of San Francisco and Oakland, U.S. Treasurer Rosie Rios, and senior advisor to President Obama Valerie Jarrett.
    Based on this information.... I will Not be replacing any Of My Families Apple Products (3 iPhones, 3iPads , 2 Apple Computers & 2 Apple TV's ) with Apple Products. I have had enough of Tim Cooks Two faced , BS.   Its decisions like this and others that will continue to bring Apple Down. You all have a Great Day.. I'm going shopping for a new Phone today.... FUN... 
    taosjake
  • Reply 234 of 278
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    taosjake said:
    foggyhill said:
    What Misinformation, You provide nothing in any way to prove your point, just like 70% lies (politifact) Trump.
    it's just lips flapping with that passive aggressiveness you call "politeness" (sic)

Someone, like me, who actually got beat up, and threatened by several anti-gay racist white fuckups
    when I dared dating a black women in the 1990s (I'm a Bi women, BTW) when I was living in the US
    has the right to outrage versus anyone who encourages such behavior : AKA Trump.

Currently live in Canada, got two kids (joint custody with former male partner (Latino) and adoption with current female partner (Lebanese))
    I've heard/seenread 4 decades of offensive words and sometimes even actions from Trump about woman, LGBTQ's and most races
    and you think I'm going to be unbiased and chill about that when he's gone even more vile recently?

That would be the most absurd, "cloudy" (sic) response there can be to the facts at hand.

A strong pushback on anyone that support Trump is the only logical and emotional response that makes sense.

That's like jews, gays and communists being all OK with Hitler. Hey, lets be chill and about that guy... He and his party don't mean what they says (sic).

I'm in my late 40s and still cycling 20 miles a day
    No one in my extended family has died before 90 in the last 40 years so I think I'm good.
    but thanks for caring so much about my health... (you just did concern trolling btw by doing that.)

K

The Trump you think you know is not the kind-hearted hero that his supporters (including many women and non-Americans) understand him to be.  You have made your moral judgement and in its self-righteousness you seem to feel authorized to harbor contempt for those who believe differently. Frankly that scares me quite a bit. Violence hovers over your words. 
    WTF are you even talking about. Did you use Google Translate?
    I'm arguing that Trump is dangerous, the most vile violent piece of trash this side of the universe,
     and you write this! I'm ignoring you from now on because you make no god damn sense.
    baconstangjackansi
  • Reply 235 of 278
    TurboPGT said:

bulk001 said:
    You mean this common sense? (Not sure the links will copy over)

“I have no intention of running for president.” (Time, September 14, 1987)

“I am officially running for president.” (New York, June 16, 2015

“I don’t want it for myself. I don’t need it for myself.” (ABC News, November 20, 2015

“I wanted to do this for myself. … I had to do it for myself.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“Politicians are all talk and no action.” (Twitter, May 27, 2015

“I’m not a politician.” (CNN, August 11, 2015

“I’m no different than a politician running for office.” (New York Times, July 28, 2015

“If I ever ran for office, I’d do better as a Democrat than as a Republican—and that’s not because I’d be more liberal, because I’m conservative.” (Playboy, March 1990

“I’m a registered Republican. I’m a pretty conservative guy. I’m somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“You’d be shocked if I said that in many cases I probably identify more as a Democrat.” (CNN, March 21, 2004

“Look, I’m a Republican. I’m a very conservative guy in many respects—I guess in most respects.” (The Hugh Hewitt Show, February 25, 2015

“I’ve actually been an activist Democrat and Republican.” (CNN, October 8, 1999

“Folks, I’m a conservative, but at this point, who cares? We got to straighten out the country.” (Burlingame, California, April 29, 2016

“I’m totally pro-choice.” (Fox News, October 31, 1999) 

“I’m pro-life.” (CPAC, February 10, 2011

“Look, I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject, but you still—I just believe in choice. … I am strongly for choice, and yet I hate the concept of abortion. … I am pro-choice in every respect … but I just hate it.” (NBC News, October 24, 1999

“I am very, very proud to say that I’m pro-life.” (Cleveland, Ohio, August 6, 2015

“I think the institution of marriage should be between a man and a woman.” (The Advocate, February 15, 2000

“If two people dig each other, they dig each other.” (Trump University “Trump Blog,” December 22, 2005

“I’m against gay marriage.” (Fox News, April 14, 2011

“It’s like in golf. A lot of people—I don’t want this to sound trivial—but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.” (New York Times, May 1, 2011

“It’s always good to do things nice and complicated so that nobody can figure it out.” (The New Yorker, May 19, 1997

“The simplest approach is often the most effective.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“My attention span is short.” (Trump: Surviving at the Top, 1990) 

“I have an attention span that’s as long as it has to be.” (Time, August 18, 2015

“I prefer to come to work each day and just see what develops.” (Trump: The Art of the Deal, 1987) 

“You can’t just sit around waiting for deals, opportunities, or a lucky break.” (Trump: Think Big, 2007) 

“I look at things for the art sake and the beauty sake and for the deal sake.” (New York magazine, July 11, 1988

“I’m just a f@@@ing businessman.” (Fortune, April 19, 2004)

What are you trying to show me here? That Donald Trump is a person who likes to run his mouth, and you have no idea what's coming next? Well thank fucking christ someone like that is actually in the running for potus, and not just another pre-made puppet to continue the diseased agenda.
    Right... Someone who has 6 opinions on every subject, many of them absolutely incoherent and vile, that's the kind of guy we want running a country...
    baconstangai46jackansi
  • Reply 236 of 278
    foggyhill said:
    Trump is dangerous, the most vile violent piece of trash this side of the universe,
    you make no god damn sense.
    10/10; would crack a smile again.
    apple ][
  • Reply 237 of 278
    bdkennedy said:

Trump can't create one whole coherent sentence, has dozens of failed businesses, has less money than what he inherited decades ago and is demonstrably a racist, a xenophobe with no foreign experience and seemingly from his interviews no clue about economics either. Not only that, the GOP are the ones that created the world wide malaise of the last 10 years with Bush's polices that destroyed the world economy and sent the middle east into a tailspin. That the GOP has controlled congress for most of the last 8 years seems to have escaped you; maybe its time you concentrated on whatever dictatorship your currently living in...

Conclusion from you to all that, addled brain : "Trumpie is my hero".(sic)
    You aren't successful unless you FAIL. And he's done that enough times to know what he's doing. This country needs a businessman, not a politician.
    He's got a lot less money than what he got 30 years ago, that's not a businessman but a gambler.
    baconstangai46jackansi
  • Reply 238 of 278
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    spice-boy said:
    Racist.
    It's actually worse than racism against the knuckle-draggers. It's clownism. People are laughing at the whites who refuse to adapt and join the rest of the world as equals rather than imagined superiors.

"Take back our country" and "make America great again" are transparent, desperate code for going backwards into the dominance of white-bread capitalist culture.

This is why the "clown car" meme was brought out early for the 17 Republican candidates. Trump is so ridiculous a candidate that even Mitt Romney, McCain and the Bushes won't attend. Of course, Sarah Palin will provide some comic relief and maybe even make Trump look sane for a minute by comparison.

No way would Apple want to be associated with this debacle in any official way. It will be a world-class laughing-stock, from which the US will have a hard time recovering.
    edited June 2016 baconstangai46sphericr2d2
  • Reply 239 of 278
    bobschlob said:
    Personally, I love the fact that so many Trump trolls use products made by such a left leaning Northern California company.
    (and then they call Apple "hypocritical") LOL
    You mean a left leaning company that sells Elitist products?

Or a company built by a man who had liberal social views and conservative business views... like a certain someone who is running with orange hair.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 240 of 278
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    bdkennedy said:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-probably-better-investing-donald-233020366.html

You aren't successful if you fail more than you succeed either, which is precisely what Trump has done overall in the last 30+ years. I don't see the wisdom in handing over the keys to the kingdom to someone who's effectively lost a good portion of his.

My wife and I have grown our investments about 2x the S&P 500 over the last 30 years. I wouldn't want either of us as POTUS either.