AppleCare: 90 days or 1 year?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The other day I was nosing around my campus store looking at some halfway decent (steeply discounted) iBooks. I asked about AppleCare and the clerk told me the price, no surprise. "But I have a year to sign up, right?" I asked.

"Nope, it's now 90 days."

Exsqueeze me! 90 days! When did this happen? Is it a Canada only thing, or is he full of it? I know the warantee period is still one year, bbut now you only have a 90 day window to sign up for extended coverage! This can't be right, can it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Well, In my country (somewhere in Asia), the applecare plan is available as long as the mac is still withnin 1 year of purchase.

Well, maybe this is the catch for the steeply reduced price
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't think Apple changed it, so this guy's probably just full of it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    From <a href="http://www.info.apple.com/support/applecare_products/warranty/features.html"; target="_blank">http://www.info.apple.com/support/applecare_products/warranty/features.html</a>;

[quote]Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty (U.S., Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean)

WARRANTY COVERAGE

Apple?s warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase. iPod is covered separately under a 90 day warranty<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It wasn't too long ago I went over this with the local guys... I think buddy was trying to get you to buy the AppleCare from him.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    AppleCare extended provides 3 year telephone and hardware support.

The basic appleCare that comes with a new computer is 90 days phone support and 1 year telephone support, so the 90 days the clerk was talking about was simply for phone support
  • Reply 6 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well. iPod also now has 1 year warranty

All Apple hardware DO come with 1year warranty

The 90 day thing is regarding free telephone support.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    He meant the time he has to sign up for AppleCare. You can do it 11 1/2 months after you buy the iBook if you want to. Sounds like the guy was saying he had 90 days to upgrade the warranty to the 3 year AppleCare policy.

I'm sure it's still a year. Some resellers will sell it to you cheaper though when you buy it right away - the guys here do.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>He meant the time he has to sign up for AppleCare. You can do it 11 1/2 months after you buy the iBook if you want to. Sounds like the guy was saying he had 90 days to upgrade the warranty to the 3 year AppleCare policy.

I'm sure it's still a year. Some resellers will sell it to you cheaper though when you buy it right away - the guys here do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here. I can get 10% off on Applecare when I buy the machine with it at the same time. But I always choose to ignore this offer

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Anyone know what's better? Applecare or insurance such as Safeware?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    AppleCare covers hardware issues... but if you knock it off the counter or dump a beer into it, you're on your own. That's what Safeware is for. Covers basically everything you can think of except theft from an unattended vehicle.

I bought a Safeware policy right after dumping some tea into a PowerBook. Luckily it dried out and I didn't have to use it. Still have the policy though... worth it with a laptop IMO.

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Safeware, would you recommend it over Applecare then?

Anyone know if they're good about honoring claims? Or do they give you the runaround untill you give up?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Safeware is not a substitute for applecare, but I can't imagine owning a laptop without safeware since it covers even accidental breakage.

Safeware does not cover mechanical failure as the warranty does.

<a href="http://www.safeware.com"; target="_blank">Safeware</a>

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: giant ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member