This year's 'iPhone 7' will lack major design changes as Apple awaits improved technology - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    xzu said: I like the M, L, XL naming convention... OR S, M, L just seems clean and straightforward since we have three phones... as well as iPads... the entire Pro and Air thing is just confusing... Give me a straight product grid with S, M, L ... products based on screen size. And fold my t-shirts like the Gap does.
    So what would the name convention be for the tock cycle? iPhone Ss, Ms, Ls? Apple is selling premier technology not tee shirts, lol.
    iPhone 6STall/Grande/Venti
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 22 of 86
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macxpress said:
    If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.

This is why Apple doesn't always implement customer requests. Really??? A fuc&%! IR blaster? Really!!!! Is this a revolutionary feature that is necessary to the majority of users? You can buy an all in one remote that works for your TV, surround sound system, cable box, AppleTV, etc. They're kinda pricy (around $100) but they do work.
    Actually it would be a cheap but highly useful improvement to the iPhone.    It would cost Apple very little in hardware and software could be left up to third parties if they really wanted too.   The crux is this it would mean there is one less device to keep track of.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    macxpress said:
    If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.

This is why Apple doesn't always implement customer requests. Really??? A fuc&%! IR blaster? Really!!!! Is this a revolutionary feature that is necessary to the majority of users? You can buy an all in one remote that works for your TV, surround sound system, cable box, AppleTV, etc. They're kinda pricy (around $100) but they do work.
    I didn't say it was revolutionary, it's a feature for something that the majority of people have in their houses.  The smartphone has become the swiss army knife of electronics.  You can also buy a music player, flashlight, camera, voice recorder, compass, GPS, level, step counter, alarm clock, stopwatch, and contact organizer right, so what's the point of adding those to the iPhone?  I'm not asking for a freakin 8-track player or floppy disk reader, it's just a led that would probably cost Apple 3 dollars to add vs you buying a $100 separate smart remote.  Your type of mentality is why Apple is removing basic things like a headphone jack to make room for "revolutionary" things.
    edited June 2016 kermit4krazy
  • Reply 24 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The year's iPhone won't be called iPhone 7.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:

Actually it would be a cheap but highly useful improvement to the iPhone.    It would cost Apple very little in hardware and software could be left up to third parties if they really wanted too.   The crux is this it would mean there is one less device to keep track of.

I don't think Apple really cares to get rid of your 4 remotes on the iPhone when there are already solutions out there that do this (including Apple's own AppleTV remote). If you want this gimmick, get an Android phone. Apple wants you to get rid of your cable/dish remote by just using AppleTV to watch television shows & movies. 
    edited June 2016 SylvainLboopthesnootlollivernolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 26 of 86
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    How is this Breaking news ? I don;t see earth shattering tech in any android phones other than newer snapdragon processor or adding basic tech which was missing in their phones for some time. Iphone 7 will be just fine. Better upgrade than previous and rest of android phones.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

macxpress said:

I didn't say it was revolutionary, it's a feature for something that the majority of people have in their houses.  The smartphone has become the swiss army knife of electronics.  You can also buy a music player, flashlight, camera, voice recorder, compass, GPS, level, step counter, alarm clock, stopwatch, and contact organizer right, so what's the point of adding those to the iPhone?  I'm not asking for a freakin 8-track player or floppy disk reader, it's just a led that would probably cost Apple 3 dollars to add vs you buying a $100 separate smart remote.  Your type of mentality is why Apple is removing basic things like a headphone jack to make room for "revolutionary" things.
    Yes, its just too much for Apple to keep pushing technology forward. With your thinking, there should still be optical drives, 3.5" floppy drives and ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) ports on every Mac. Nobody ever said things like headphone jacks will be here forever nor do they need to be. We have other better forms of technology (and possibly something we've never seen nor read about) out there. 
    radarthekatlolliverargonaut
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Some observations:
    1) some here seem to equate a new exterior design with a significant upgrade. Apple isn't stupid and know a lot more about who buys phones and when then the readers of this humble site. I'm always up for a new external shell but let's not get too superficial, the phone itself may be packed with new technologies. 
    2) the fact is that a lot of people are holding onto their phones for longer, the number of us who upgrade every year is small. If you come from a 5s next year this next phone will be impressive. 
    3) 2017 is the 10 year anniversary of the launch of the iPhone so a dramatically new phone body will be part of a massive 2017 campaign about reinventing the smartphone. 
    radarthekatlollivernolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 86
    I doesn't take one year to design a phone. It takes 2-3 years. If Samsung were to copy anything they would have had to know about it at least a year ago.
    macxpress said:
    I'd rather they got it right rather than force it out (like Samsung will do based off these rumors) just so they can say we had it first. I know investors won't be happy but what the hell are you gonna do? There's only so much you can do and I'd rather they get it right the first time than force a product out and have massive shipping delays which are never good. 

I'll call it today...I guarantee Samsung will release something like this before Apple does based off the rumors that keep explaining what Apple wants to do with the next gen iPhone. They're probably already scrambling to get this out the door now and will go to no end to get it out before Apple does, even if it means building a cheap POS that just looks pretty. 
  • Reply 30 of 86
    As much as moving from a biannual form factor clock will reduce the urgency of upgrading, it also has some real benefits. Note that any benefits to customers also benefit the company in the long run by building loyalty and good will. 1. longevity. By making it clear that the phone is valuable and useful for more than two years, it makes it easier for consumers to justify holding their phones for longer. Satisfied customers may not make for immediate sales increases but they do increase the likelihood that there will be sales in the future. Simply on a "daily" basis, keeping a phone longer makes it cheaper. Also, for some portion of customers, the fear of purchasing later in the cycle should be eased if they have less concern about being a generation behind (noting, of course, that the larger technical leaps have often been in the S years). 2. shortages. Apple has had a high class but significant burden - the demand for new phones at launch has been crushing. Balancing tooling and manufacturing line demands to cover the massive launch sales and yet not be idle on a more normalized basis must be unbelievably hard. By taking away some of the "newness", perhaps Apple can smooth out its production. I'm sure there was plenty of overtime and airfreight associated with the shortages (which we have even seen with the SE, most recently). 3. luxury. As Apple expands into luxury goods, suggesting the long-term appeal of certain designs makes good sense as it has been a bit self-contradictory to hold up a design as outstanding and then ditch it two years later. I think the SE is an example of this. There can still be modest changes from time to time (polished v matte edges on the SE) with large changes less frequently under this approach. Note that the Mac line seems to follow this approach also. 4. authenticity. By limiting the frequency of changes, it increases the credibility of future claims of big changes. In other words, if every year is "all new", it's hard to say "no, really, this year is SUPER new." It's easier to seem genuine when updates are less frequent or proclaimed as significant. Personally, I hope these rumors are true as I bought them a couple months ago and so ordered an SE to replace my 6 on the assumption that I won't have serious buyer's remorse in September.
    radarthekatargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 86
    jetpilotjetpilot Posts: 34member
    So the new features are 1mm thinner (don't care) and the elimination of a headphone jack that will render my $800 worth of Bose headsets useless?  If this turns out to be true, looks like I'll be saving $1000 this fall.  I hope this report is mistaken and that Apple gives me a reason to upgrade this fall.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    I look forward to the retirement of the iPhone 6 series - the ugliest phone Apple has designed.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Strange. This report comes out and the stock price rises. Good ol Wall Street
  • Reply 34 of 86
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    xzu said:
    SylvainL said:
    I agree 100% with you and Apple should name it iPhone 6 se. 

This is exactly what I predict in one of my blog post earlier this week 

http://monblogapple.com/articles/aucun-iphone-7-avant-2017-le-prochain-iphone-sera-liphone-6-se/

I like the M, L, XL naming convention... OR S, M, L just seems clean and straightforward since we have three phones... as well as iPads... the entire Pro and Air thing is just confusing... Give me a straight product grid with S, M, L ... products based on screen size. And fold my t-shirts like the Gap does.
    Someone remembering the d'Amelio period and all the different form factors, names, ...
    We're heading there again, in full force
  • Reply 35 of 86
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Maybe Apple should (again) get some inspiration from Samsung ed all.

Or from HP. Their Elite range looks more than capable
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 36 of 86
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I really don't need a hardware redesign (I should've waited for the 4" SE but I'm stuck with this 6s now). I just want the software to be more efficient and the bugs killed. The most important thing to me Apple won't do: kill off the flat design and low contrast/bright color/thin fonts scheme. But I suppose there's a sunk costs fallacy keeping them stuck in this style... The best thing that could happen is for the people who were in charge of graphic design and GUI design prior to Ive's tenure to be put back in charge.
    edited June 2016 jroypalomine
  • Reply 37 of 86
    xzu said:
    SylvainL said:
    I agree 100% with you and Apple should name it iPhone 6 se. 

This is exactly what I predict in one of my blog post earlier this week 

http://monblogapple.com/articles/aucun-iphone-7-avant-2017-le-prochain-iphone-sera-liphone-6-se/

I like the M, L, XL naming convention... OR S, M, L just seems clean and straightforward since we have three phones... as well as iPads... the entire Pro and Air thing is just confusing... Give me a straight product grid with S, M, L ... products based on screen size. And fold my t-shirts like the Gap does.
    Lemme guess xxl
  • Reply 38 of 86
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Investors...lets calm down a little bit.  The most important thing to an investor is the outlook.  Even if this is incremental there will be enough buzz in the coming year for the 10th anniversary iPhone.  If you are a short term investor you will feel some pain.  Long term investors will be fine.  Although it is somewhat disappointing to hear about an incremental update, it is not the end of the world.  A home run will be coming in 2017 regardless.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Katy Huberty just put the lie to this crappy rumor.

http://ped30.com/2016/06/21/apple-huberty-calls-bs/

What's with AppleInsider all of a sudden? This is just click-bait. Or maybe the WSJ is now helping pay your bills?

At least report the alternative POV.

SHEESH!
    patchythepiratepalomine
  • Reply 40 of 86
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    damonf said:
    macxpress said:
    I'd rather they got it right rather than force it out (like Samsung will do based off these rumors) just so they can say we had it first. I know investors won't be happy but what the hell are you gonna do? There's only so much you can do and I'd rather they get it right the first time than force a product out and have massive shipping delays which are never good. 

I'll call it today...I guarantee Samsung will release something like this before Apple does based off the rumors that keep explaining what Apple wants to do with the next gen iPhone. They're probably already scrambling to get this out the door now and will go to no end to get it out before Apple does, even if it means building a cheap POS that just looks pretty. 

I thought Scamsung already had OLED and edge-to-edge?  Maybe not, I don't pay them much attention.

As an Apple investor, this is a disappointment.  With the loss of carrier phone subsidies, it was going to be a challenge just to maintain the 2-year upgrade cycle status quo, to say nothing about trying to get users to upgrade annually.  Apple needed to deliver an impressive model at least every 2 years, or enough to substantially differentiate from one's 2-year old previous model.  Now with this news of a 3-year cycle, many people will hold off unless there are some extremely compelling features under the hood of the 2016 model that we don't yet know about.   Being thinner (will I have to yet again buy a new case?) and having no headphone jack don't incentivize me to go for the 2016 model, but rather the opposite: to wait for the 2017 major refresh.  We could therefore see iPhone sales continue to fall through 3Q of 2017 (or worse, see defections to Android).  Wall Street was hoping the sales slump would end in 3Q 2016, but I don't see that happening if this news holds to be true.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I think you have it backwards. A year after starting their own upgrade program, and the general uptick in carrier upgrade programs...people are going to upgrading regardless, because if you don't upgrade you are wasting the privilege that you are paying for. Every payment you make on your phone beyond the 12 month period is a waste of money, as it defeats the purpose of the plan (and cost structure thereof) to begin with.