This year's 'iPhone 7' will lack major design changes as Apple awaits improved technology - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member

If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.
    Fucking LOL.
    patchythepiratecornchipnolamacguyxmhillx
  • Reply 42 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    If Apple doesn't think there's any next-generation technology to add yet, they can at least focus on improvements that have been lacking for years.  At least make the damn thing waterproof and add an IR blaster so I can get rid of my TV remotes.
    Really? You're probably one of three people on the planet that gives a shit about that, but sure, ok. Let's shove in obsolete, gimmick technology from 1993. mtbnut said:
    Well, looks like my 5S'll carry on another year. Investors and pundits, go ahead and do your thing...

My 5S under iOS 9 is faring very well. The only thing that pisses it off for some reason is the Background Music API--running Sirius XM app or Google Play makes the back of my phone heat up so much that I can barely hold it. 
    What kind of change are you looking for, exactly? The 6S is MASSIVELY improved from your 5S, in every single category from screen, to hardware features (ie. Apple Pay, 3D Touch, etc) to the camera, to the performance, etc and obviously the 7 will be even more so. Hell, my iPhone SE is a massive upgrade over the 5S.  What exactly are you waiting on to upgrade?
    TurboPGTfastasleeppatchythepiratecornchipmacxpressnolamacguy
  • Reply 43 of 86
    slurpy said:
     Hell, my iPhone SE is a massive upgrade over the 5S.  What exactly are you waiting on to upgrade?
    Obviously nothing. If you're happy with the 5S, you'd be happier with the SE. Just someone running their mouth.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Hands off my headphone jack!  I'll get a droid if you do it ;)  Really I do think that will be that last straw for me.  With Apple getting too political, and the major upgrade to iOS 10 are stupid emojis and effects is iMessage I am getting tired of this company.  Sure the widgets are nice, but they still are not on the home screen.  Change the look on control center instead of letting me configure it as I'd like is not exciting.  Most boring update ever.  
    Everything about this post is troll garbage.
    fastasleeppatchythepiratecornchipjroynolamacguybrucemckevin kee
  • Reply 45 of 86
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    bdkennedy said:
    I look forward to the retirement of the iPhone 6 series - the ugliest phone Apple has designed.
    Just today I looked at my gold (and white) iPhone 6s thinking it is the most beautiful phone I ever owned. One can feel something like love towards certain things.
    jroy
  • Reply 46 of 86
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    If they didn't intend to implement a significant upgrade this Fall, would they really have released the SE--which is the equal of the 6s in many respects--at such a low price?
    palomine
  • Reply 47 of 86
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    As an Apple investor, this is a disappointment.  With the loss of carrier phone subsidies, it was going to be a challenge just to maintain the 2-year upgrade cycle status quo, to say nothing about trying to get users to upgrade annually.  Apple needed to deliver an impressive model at least every 2 years, or enough to substantially differentiate from one's 2-year old previous model.  Now with this news of a 3-year cycle, many people will hold off unless there are some extremely compelling features under the hood of the 2016 model that we don't yet know about.   Being thinner (will I have to yet again buy a new case?) and having no headphone jack don't incentivize me to go for the 2016 model, but rather the opposite: to wait for the 2017 major refresh.  We could therefore see iPhone sales continue to fall through 3Q of 2017 (or worse, see defections to Android).  Wall Street was hoping the sales slump would end in 3Q 2016, but I don't see that happening if this news holds to be true.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    I find Apple's strategy here interesting, if these reports are to be believed.  First, what we do know is that the iPhone SE was just released, and it's selling better than Apple management thought it would.  So there's obviously a market for a solid performing "value" iPhone that doesn't have all the newest bells and whistles, nor the biggest screen. 

Looking forward, what's the incentive for buying this fall's new iPhone?  It'll have a new processor, but processor gains are starting to enter the realm of being an abstract number (a la Geekbench) rather than something the user actually experiences.  Moreover, it'll be the same chassis as the current 6S, with the one significant change being the removal of the headphone jack.  Why?  How does that attract buyers when nearly everyone uses headphones that have the normal jack?  I might be inclined to buy a new iPhone without a headphone jack because it has a new look, more storage, more RAM, etc.  But if the only big news is no headphone jack, I see that as a disincentive.  Why not save the deletion of the headphone jack for the all-new iPhone in 2017?

These points, combined with better than expected iPhone SE sales, portent slow sales this fall, IMHO.
    canukstormcroprkermit4krazy
  • Reply 48 of 86
    You know what I'd like in a new iPhone?  A substantially bigger battery.  If they just take a 6s Plus, make it about twice as thick, and fill all that space in with battery (and lose the camera bump), then I imagine I could get 3-4 days of casual use (and well over a day of "intense" use).  Now *that* is what I'd like in a new iPhone.
    philbert81cornchipjroytechguy911kermit4krazy
  • Reply 49 of 86
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    toddzrx said:

How does that attract buyers when nearly everyone uses headphones that have the normal jack? 
    Substitute any previous abandoned port in the above sentence. 

By offering something much better which starts to move us away from the ancient "normal" jack, alongside a way for people to still use their old hardware. 
    nolamacguypalomine
  • Reply 50 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I bet there are new tech, but they haven't leaked.
    Most probable is putting the digitizer of the Ipad pros in the 7+.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    You know what I'd like in a new iPhone?  A substantially bigger battery.  If they just take a 6s Plus, make it about twice as thick, and fill all that space in with battery (and lose the camera bump), then I imagine I could get 3-4 days of casual use (and well over a day of "intense" use).  Now *that* is what I'd like in a new iPhone.
    I'm not sure how that would help me. I tend to sleep, every night, like some slacker...and my poor phone has nothing better to do but sit on the charger while I laze it up. So, not sure how < 1 day battery helps me.
    patchythepiratecornchipnolamacguybrucemc
  • Reply 52 of 86
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    We won't know the truth until September, everything else is just pure speculation  :)
    techguy911anome
  • Reply 53 of 86
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    In addition, Apple slowly but steadily expands ForceTouch which might convince current owners of < IPhone 6s.
    I agree with you - I believe Apple will do fine over 2017.  Just getting away from the year over year comp problem created by the extraordinary iPhone 6 release will be good for the stock price.
    Even with stretched out upgrade cycles, the increase in the customer base and those that went for the yearly programs will offset this.

I have a 6+, and could see upgrading this year for the force touch, and camera improvements - I was close to updating to the 6s+, but figured it would take at least a year for software to catch up and take advantage of this feature.  It's a killer feature which is just barely scratching the surface.

jbishop1039
  • Reply 54 of 86
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    toddzrx said:

These points, combined with better than expected iPhone SE sales, portent slow sales this fall, IMHO.
    If these rumors are true, the question I have is whether this is all intentional?

Does Apple want to take a breather while they let the stock tank, so they can buy back huge portions of it, and then roar back in 2017? Is the mobile phone market so fickle and Apple branding so taken for granted that great throngs of customers will upend their digital lives switching from Apple to Android, just because the iPhone 7 isn't a particularly compelling upgrade? Or is the customer base ready for a breather? 
  • Reply 55 of 86
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I mean the 6s has no major design changes from the 6 so I don't see this as entirely surprising
  • Reply 56 of 86
    "suggesting Apple has a major resign in the works for 2017"

redesign or design?

• Reply 57 of 86
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy said:
    I doesn't take one year to design a phone. It takes 2-3 years. If Samsung were to copy anything they would have had to know about it at least a year ago.
    macxpress said:
    I'd rather they got it right rather than force it out (like Samsung will do based off these rumors) just so they can say we had it first. I know investors won't be happy but what the hell are you gonna do? There's only so much you can do and I'd rather they get it right the first time than force a product out and have massive shipping delays which are never good. 

I'll call it today...I guarantee Samsung will release something like this before Apple does based off the rumors that keep explaining what Apple wants to do with the next gen iPhone. They're probably already scrambling to get this out the door now and will go to no end to get it out before Apple does, even if it means building a cheap POS that just looks pretty. 
    it takes that time to design a phone, yes. it takes little time to crap something out. 
  • Reply 58 of 86
    kevdrexkevdrex Posts: 13member
    I heard that turn-by-turn navigation that plays over Bluetooth is coming on the iPhone 237s. 
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 59 of 86
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    I want to punch somebody in the face when I read comments from someone that wants:

- IR blaster
    - LED indicator
    - Gesture controls
    - 4K display (for a smartphone? wow...)
    - Dual lens camera
    - Water proof (what are you doing with your $700 phone, geezus, water resistance is fine)
    - SD card (introduce malware? no thanks)
    - Removable battery (plastic back panel)
  • Reply 60 of 86
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Does Apple really think it has the luxury of skipping a whole year in order to include a new form factor and internals? Samsung's GS7 Edge is gorgeous and readily available this year. Huawei, LG, Sony and other also won't be sitting still for another 15 months. As someone who purchases a new iPhone each year, this may be the first time I pass on buying the new model. Guess my money will be going instead towards the MacBook Pro with Skylake chips.