Apple discontinues Thunderbolt Display, no replacement announced

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    There are many other alternatives, and it is not like TB display had any software / hardware difference advantage anyway.

So sorry to ask, what is the fuss? Because I am really not getting it.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Seven feet from where I sit behind my desk, hanging on the wall, is a 2014 Vizio 'P Series' 4K smart TV. I bought it to be my MONITOR. I run the HDMI signal from my Mac mini 2012 i7 four core into the 60hz port on the Vizio, and viola! Everything is up-converted to 4K UHD! It looks incredible, and print THIS SMALL is readable. And yes, movies look incredible too, Blu Rays, DVD's and streaming! And the sound bar blows you out of the room. Why all the fuss? There are plenty of excellent alternatives like this that won't break your piggy bank.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 23 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they release a USB-C 5K display down the road.
    In the meantime, people will just buy monitors made by someone else like Samsung. 

You can still buy this display until inventory runs out. Check out Apple's website and Apple Retail Stores (among other Apple 3rd Party Retailers). This display isn't for everyone anyways. I use two 23" Dell displays on my MacPro. I just can't shell out $1000 for a display. 
    edited June 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 24 of 65
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...if Apple is unsure why they still only represent ~15% of desktop computers perhaps they should consider this type of decision in suit... I know I can count on MS to support W7 through 2020. Is the ~85% or so of the remaining desktop market a growth opp for Apple? Hmmm...
    damonfwozwoz
  • Reply 25 of 65
    I'm always amazed by things like this. Apple has about 60,000 employees. About half of them are working on the retail side, and the other 30k or so work for corporate. There weren't 100-200 people they could dedicate to designing and engineering a replacement display, oh, at some point over the past 5 years?? The company also has more money stockpiled than any other company on earth. Yes, I know that most of it is overseas, but the same goes for all the other huge companies too. They could have freed up some funds, is all I'm saying. 

Slowly but surely they're dropping more and more product lines to make room for more iPhone SKUs. They act like a rose gold phone is a big deal. No, a new Mac mini would be a big deal. A new Macbook with two ports would be a big deal. A new Macbook Pro with user-serviceable parts would be a big deal. A new version of Aperture would have been a big deal. A new Mac Pro would be a big deal. A new Thunderbolt display would have been a big deal.

Sorry, just been frustrated with Apple lately. I still love them, but I need a new Macbook Pro to replace my aging 2011 13" that I got new for $1,100 and then upgraded to a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM myself, but I can't afford to pay Apple $2,500 for something new but comparable. 
    Apple has 100k+ employees.
    Ah, yes, but many of those are working on Apple's incredibly new realistic display that can do 60+mph along roads...

polymniaxzu
  • Reply 26 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sounds like Apple is getting out of the display business.
    Yep! I don't think Apple sells enough displays to recover the development costs. More striking is the suggestion from the Apple rep to buy third party hardware.
    john.b
  • Reply 27 of 65
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    What's up with all these duplicate posts? Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?
    pulseimagestrollkillernolamacguyjasenj1
  • Reply 28 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Most likely Apple's display supplier, whichever that is — Sharp, LG, etc. — has not been able to guarantee quantity for the unique combination of technologies that will show up in the new displays, including the IGZO backplanes.

That is, until now, in the best reading of this end-of-life of the ancient monitors/space heaters.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 29 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ksec said:
    it is not like TB display had any software / hardware difference advantage anyway.
    Bandwidth, daisy-chaining, power, data... You know, more than any other port.

A 27” TB3 display with 4x USB 3, Ethernet, 2x 3.5mm (and/or a Lightning), SD, and another TB for chaining would’ve been heaven.

Never mind thin, like the modern iMac. My Cinema Display is thicker (AND RUNS HOTTER; WHY) than the new iMacs.

Then again, if they all have the panel problems that mine has had... No, I still want Apple to be making displays. Theoretically they have higher quality and are held to higher standards. 
    edited June 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 30 of 65
    wizard69 said:
    Sounds like Apple is getting out of the display business.
    Yep! I don't think Apple sells enough displays to recover the development costs. More striking is the suggestion from the Apple rep to buy third party hardware.
    Well that would depend on the display, though. If other companies can produce displays comparable and in many cases now superior to this one and turn a profit, Apple should be able to as well. 

It's not that there wouldn't be a market for an awesome new display. Despite their size, Apple just doesn't seem willing or capable of keeping up with their product line anymore. They can't even rewrite iTunes, for goodness sake. Half of their products languish for years between updates now. 
    entropystechprod1gy
  • Reply 31 of 65
    @ Stimpy... As a former employee, there were times that there were gaps in their product line. The reality is that because they manage their pipeline to save money, this happens. If you were unfortunate in your timing, I would recommend other products. Some others were budget conscious, and I also recommended alternatives. Finally, sometimes (not often), other companies had better product or certain features that warranted an honest outside recommendation. When the Thunderbolt came out, the elegance (single Thunderbolt cable) and quality (color gamut & contrast) were tops. However, some people needed anti-glare. Compared to other products of equal or better quality, the Thunderbolt display was a good value for a long time.
    stimpy said:
    Their head is so far up their *ss they use typical Apple "how to say no in a positive" "there are many great displays out there." Can you imagine going to buy a 3K Mac Pro at a retail store and they will be programmed not to tell you which monitor to buy unless its on the Apple Store website. I remember buying a new Mac when the Studio Display were discontinued and this was before the more aggressive employee programming.  They actually told me to go buy a Dell monitor. Great I'm at Apple buying a mac and they are advising me to go buy a Dell monitor because the poor employees were left with nothing to sell and a bag of crap with cranky people like me.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    why-why- Posts: 305member

Irony.jpg
    jasenj1mobius
  • Reply 33 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I think there is a very, very high chance we will see a new display from Apple soon. There are integrated features that they can pull off with their display than no 3rd party company could. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 34 of 65
    aimacaimac Posts: 4member
    ksec said:
    There are many other alternatives, and it is not like TB display had any software / hardware difference advantage anyway.

So sorry to ask, what is the fuss? Because I am really not getting it.
    You are right, there are many alternatives, if you just need a regular old monitor.

The fuss is that Apple has always made the best monitors for film/video/photo pros, and I've probably worked on hundreds from every possible manufacturer. Nobody else compares, unless you want to spend a lot more money on an Eizo. And I've even worked on some Eizos that weren't all that great. I've personally owned 4 Apple monitors, if you don't count all my laptops, over my past 20 years as a digital artist. Starting with the huge 21" blue and white CRT, to the first 22" Cinema display, all the way up to latest TB display, I've loved them all ( as long as I dont have bright lights behind me with the TB one). They last forever, and their combination of great color gamut, great contrast, and great viewing angle, is unmatched. And they keep all that throughout their lifespans. And viewing angle doesn't just mean that you can see a picture wherever you stand. Viewing angle means that I, or more importantly my client, doesnt have to sit directly in front of the thing to see proper contrast.

The fuss is that there just isn't a better alternative to an Apple display. That's my opinion, anyway.
    aaron sorensonksec
  • Reply 35 of 65
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring brand new Apple Thunderbolt Display 5K 24-inch  with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) generation 2 hub, plus SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
  • Reply 36 of 65
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Apple released a gold AppleWatch for certainly a very limited audience. They for sure should be able to keep a Display, and if it's only for the sake of a nice design!! I hate sitting in front of crappy display designs!
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 37 of 65
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    My guess is that the sales of the Thunderbolt displays are disappointing.  There are a lot of competing 4K monitors (dell, Philips, Asus, LG, ...) on the market at half of the price.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Maybe if Apple spent more time on its hardware and less on first world SJW nonsense we would have a new display and MacBook Pros to go with it.   Then its TB display sales won't be disappointing.
    edited June 2016 kermit4krazytallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    entropys said:
    Maybe if Apple spent more time on its hardware and less on first world SJW nonsense we would have a new display and MacBook Pros to go with it.   Then its TB display sales won't be disappointing.

How do we know TB Display sales weren't disappointing from the get go? You can put all the time and money you want into a product and that won't guarantee sales. In the grand scheme of things, its probably may never be a big seller. I'd like to think most people aren't going to plop down $2,000 for a MacBook Pro and then another $1,000 for a new display (which is probably what a new 4/5K display will cost). As more people move toward purchasing iMacs, laptops, iPads, etc, external displays will not be needed as much. I think were already seeing it. 

And people who think the TB display was expensive, well it is, but remember you're getting far more than just a display. You also get a full docking station with Gigabit Ethernet, USB, Audio, charging cable, stereo speakers, iSight camera, etc. Its not just a simple display. I know its not a 4K or 5K panel, but its also not a cheap crap panel either. How many displays are 27" at the resolution it is? Most are still 1920x1080, even at 27" which technically makes it no better than a 20" display at the same resolution. Apple used a quality high (for its time) resolution panel. Its still a decent display for folks today, especially if they can't drive 4K anyways. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 40 of 65
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    john.b said:
    Apple has long since stopped giving a f*ck about Mac hardware. And not just the TB Display, the minis are left to languish for years and now the Mac Pros have achieved the same status.  I'd rather see a company with the massive resources of Apple shutter the entire Mac lineup than to see them just mail it in year after year. 

Has Apple forgotten that it is a hardware company?  I don't see a replacement coming anytime soon.  If so, they could have spent 2 minutes mentioning offhand "hey we will have a new monitor coming in the fall" like they did with the Mac Pro some years ago after it was redesigned. And as Apple has been focusing on style a lot lately, you think they'd recognize that some customers really prefer a monitor that matches their machine.

edited June 2016 kermit4krazyjasenj1tallest skilwozwoz