Honda launches 2017 Accord with Apple CarPlay option

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda on Friday announced that the 2017 Accord, going on sale June 27, will be available with an upgrade supporting Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto.

To use either interface people will have to pay for a 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen, Honda said. The automaker didn't immediately say how much the upgrade will cost, but the base Accord Sedan will start at $22,355. Coupe models will run at least $24,025.

Honda has been relatively slow to introduce CarPlay support, having first added it to 2016 models of the Accord and Civic, plus the 2017 Ridgeline. The 2017 Civic Hatchback will be compatible when it launches this fall.

Most major automakers now have some models with CarPlay, although few iOS developers have created interfaces to match. Excluding apps by car manufacturers and Apple itself, there are only 10 CarPlay-ready titles listed on Apple's website.

To boost the platform, Apple is planning various enhancements alongside this fall's iOS 10, such as a redesigned Music app, the ability to remove and rearrange apps, and support for VoIP services like Skype.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    What? CarPlay and Android Auto became available on the 2016 Accord last year (just like the article states) - of course the 2017 will have it! Why wouldn't it? 2017 is a carryover year for the Accord. The purpose of this article is not clear, but seems to simply confirm that the 2017 Accord and Civic will have CP and AA just like the 2016 models do. Well, duh.

2017 will also mark the last year of the current generation since there will be an SE model, which typically denotes the last year of a generation.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 13
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    That is the right way to do it. Split it into two screens. Safer because you don't have to fiddle as much with a menu system and the controls can be closer and easier to reach, plus the actual data being displayed on the main screen can be shaded for less reflection. I don't particularly like the way my non-CarPlay BMW works. Trying to find an artist or album with the toggle wheel is just way too cumbersome requiring dozens of clicks. Very distracting while driving.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    My 2005 Civic has a Nakamichi amp directly fed from a clickwheel iPod Nano since 2006 so I'm a bit ahead of Honda. ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why is this news?  The 2016 Accords and Civics already has CarPlay option.  
    zroger73
  • Reply 5 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I wish Subaru would get over trying to cobble together a system with Aha and Starlink and just let the experts take over the infotainment UI. 
    bobschlobstompy
  • Reply 6 of 13
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Wonder if they update previous models? Just bought a topic the line 2016 Odyssey and was disappointed there was no CarPlay. Wish I could add it through a firmware update.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I wish Subaru would get over trying to cobble together a system with Aha and Starlink and just let the experts take over the infotainment UI. 
    Damn straight, skippy.  B)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    supadav03 said:
    Wonder if they update previous models? Just bought a topic the line 2016 Odyssey and was disappointed there was no CarPlay. Wish I could add it through a firmware update.
    Honda does not do that.  They would prefer you to buy another car instead.  Honda is so slow, maybe the 2018 Odyssey might finally get CarPlay.  CarPlay is so far behind when everyone has already been able to use Bluetooth and Siri for years in their current vehicles, and not be required to plug the phone in to make it work.  Honda's stereos are so awful anyway, you are better off with an aftermarket system that has CarPlay built-in, if you really want it.  People are reporting on the Honda Facebook page that the new 2016 Civic with CarPlay has tons of problems with the DisplayAudio stereo.  Non-responsive, display blacking out, horrible audio quality over Bluetooth, etc.  All Honda can say is "we don't know what the problem is, sorry".
    stompy
  • Reply 9 of 13
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    supadav03 said:
    Honda does not do that.  They would prefer you to buy another car instead.  Honda is so slow, maybe the 2018 Odyssey might finally get CarPlay.  CarPlay is so far behind when everyone has already been able to use Bluetooth and Siri for years in their current vehicles, and not be required to plug the phone in to make it work.  Honda's stereos are so awful anyway, you are better off with an aftermarket system that has CarPlay built-in, if you really want it.  People are reporting on the Honda Facebook page that the new 2016 Civic with CarPlay has tons of problems with the DisplayAudio stereo.  Non-responsive, display blacking out, horrible audio quality over Bluetooth, etc.  All Honda can say is "we don't know what the problem is, sorry".
    Agreed. Honda doesn't retroactively add features to their infotainment systems. On the other hand, I can't think of any other manufacturer right off hand that does.

My brother bought a 2016 Civic Touring a few months ago. He's had a plethora problems with the infotainment system. It started with loud, intermittent popping when using the Neural sound enhancement feature. Next, audio completely disappeared. Then, the backup camera went blank and later stuck on when driving forward. After that was a stuck Lane Watch camera. Bluetooth cuts out. XM froze. CarPlay can't be accessed. The list goes on. So far, Honda has released two software updates - one for the amplifier and one for the head unit that seems to have solved all the problems, though it did take several months to fix.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 13
    zroger73 said:
    Agreed. Honda doesn't retroactively add features to their infotainment systems. On the other hand, I can't think of any other manufacturer right off hand that does.

Nissan does.  When the 2015 Altima came out, it had updated software on their Navigation stereo that featured DVR-Like operation of SiriusXM.  You could set 6 music presets to store their 'replay' option.  As you drive, the SiriusXM music is stored like a DVR on all 6 presets of any music channel of your choice.  It is pretty awesome.  You can pause music, skip forward or backward to hear a song again, when you change to another channel that is set for 'replay', it begins playing the current song from the beginning.  When you receive a call, and you are on a 'replay' stored preset, the music is automatically paused and resumes when the call is completed.  Each preset stores over 30 minutes of music, if you are driving that long, or longer.  Nissan rolled out a software update for 2013 and 2014 model Altimas with the same stereo for a free software update to add those new features.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    zroger73 said:

My brother bought a 2016 Civic Touring a few months ago. He's had a plethora problems with the infotainment system. It started with loud, intermittent popping when using the Neural sound enhancement feature. Next, audio completely disappeared. Then, the backup camera went blank and later stuck on when driving forward. After that was a stuck Lane Watch camera. Bluetooth cuts out. XM froze. CarPlay can't be accessed. The list goes on. So far, Honda has released two software updates - one for the amplifier and one for the head unit that seems to have solved all the problems, though it did take several months to fix.
    Retroactive updated:  several Hyundai models, there were also a couple other OEM's that did this as well. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Disneylandman said

CarPlay is so far behind when everyone has already been able to use Bluetooth and Siri for years in their current vehicles, and not be required to plug the phone in to make it work.  Honda's stereos are so awful anyway, you are better off with an aftermarket system that has CarPlay built-in, if you really want it.  People are reporting on the Honda Facebook page that the new 2016 Civic with CarPlay has tons of problems with the DisplayAudio stereo.  Non-responsive, display blacking out, horrible audio quality over Bluetooth, etc.  All Honda can say is "we don't know what the problem is, sorry".
    CarPlay is far beyond simple Bluetooth and Siri. I've been enjoying it since November in my 2016 Civic. The Maps are terrific, especially one iOS 10. I haven't had any problems with it other than when running beta versions of iOS, and I don't consider plugging in to be that much of a hardship. It has a high current USB port on the front which is down low and hard to reach but fortunately has a pass-through hole to a nice little shelf where the phone can sit. I just leave a lighting cable there permanently, and it's nice to have your phone charged up a bit when you get to your destination. Remember that GPS + sound + video (Maps) would run your battery dry pretty quick, not to mention that Bluetooth connections tend to be flaky, so I'm not sure wireless CarPlay would be as good as it sounds.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Slight off topic but can anyone explain to me why, only in America and with cars do they quote next year's date?

Surely, a car sold in 2016 is a 2016 car. No other countries do this. I wonder if it's some crap sales technique to make Americans think they have a more futuristic car than they actually do?