help me choose between iBook and PowerBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes, I know these computers are radically different, but I need to choose one over the other. Cost is definitely an issue, and that is why I am considering the iBook. The primary reason I am purchasing a notebook is for law school next year...I probably will play a few games and I will encode lots of MP3s. I have no need to burn any DVDs. Also, I really need this computer to last me until I am through with law school, which will be the spring of 2006...Will I notice a big real-world difference between the 800mhz g3 and the 867mhz g4? Is there a dock available for the ibook, so when at home I can plug it in and have a display, keyboard and mouse waiting?

Decisions, decisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Everyone here will hate me for saying this but .. OS X requires a G4.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]I probably will play a few games and I will encode lots of MP3s. I have no need to burn any DVDs.<hr></blockquote>

That sounds like something an iBook would be fine for.

Quote:

Also, I really need this computer to last me until I am through with law school, which will be the spring of 2006...<hr></blockquote>

Well, you could get the TiBook now, and it would be okay in 2006 but you'd want to upgrade. At the same time, you could get an iBook now, and then a few years later sell it and get another iBook. Look at it this way - $2300 now, or $1300 now, then $800 back when you sell the iBook two years later, then $1300 again. That's a net cost of $1800 over the four years, PLUS it's spread out over quite a length of time, PLUS you get a brand new computer halfway through. Sound like a good idea?

[QUOTE}Will I notice a big real-world difference between the 800mhz g3 and the 867mhz g4?

Depends on what you're doing. The TiBook will probably encode MP3s faster because iTunes is Altivec optimized, but it should still be fast. For general use, I think the iBook would be fine. A friend of mine has a previous generation 700 MHz iBook, and when we're constantly arguing over who has the fastest computer, we end up getting a tie most of the time (my computer is a dual processor 500 MHz G4). My dual G4 is plenty fast in OS X, and so should the 800 MHz iBook.

[quote]Is there a dock available for the ibook, so when at home I can plug it in and have a display, keyboard and mouse waiting?<hr></blockquote>

Yes. Also, you can do a hack that's described at <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">www.xlr8yourmac.com</a> to get monitor spanning on the iBook in OS X, just like the PowerBook. Now that it has a 32 MB graphics card, it will support Quartz Extreme, so the graphics should be fast and smooth on both monitors. I don't know the website of the company that makes the dock, but I remember it being around $150.

Good luck on your decision.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>Everyone here will hate me for saying this but .. OS X requires a G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate you for saying that

But seriously, it doesn't. A lot of older G3s, back when all Macs or most Macs were G3-based, are quite slow in OS X, but that's just as much a function of their outdated Rage Pro or Rage 128 graphics card. The 750fx used in the iBook is truly a powerful chip. In one of the showdowns between my iBook-owning friend and I, he used a program called AltiVec Fractal to see how well his non-Altivec iBook did, and it got 498 megaflops. Pathetic compared to the nearly 4 gigaflops my G4 got, but when I turned off AltiVec, my dual processors could barely keep up - 613 megaflops. So a single 700 MHz G3 is nearly as powerful as two 500 MHz G4s, at least in non-AltiVec tasks.

True, OS X itself is AltiVec optimized, but that doesn't mean a G4 is required for it. When you have a good graphics card (like the 32 MB Radeon Mobility 7500), it completely makes up for the lack of AltiVec, at least on mundane tasks like opening windows and minimizing stuff.

Unless you're doing high-end stuff, you don't need a PowerBook.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    <strong> [quote]Well, you could get the TiBook now, and it would be okay in 2006 but you'd want to upgrade. At the same time, you could get an iBook now, and then a few years later sell it and get another iBook. Look at it this way - $2300 now, or $1300 now, then $800 back when you sell the iBook two years later, then $1300 again. That's a net cost of $1800 over the four years, PLUS it's spread out over quite a length of time, PLUS you get a brand new computer halfway through. Sound like a good idea?<hr></blockquote></strong>

This is very interesting, and something I had not though about. Let's take the $1000 I'm not spending on a powerbook, invest it in bonds earning 6 percent, then in four years i would have $1262, which, coupled with the selling price of the ibook would get be maybe $2000 which is really close to a new powerbook.

Looks like the iBook would be the most reasonable on all accounts. I found a dock here: <a href="http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/ibook.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/ibook.htm</a>;

but it mentions it is for the "dual USB" ibook...wasn't this what the 2001 model was called? I'm not sure if this dock would work for modern iBooks or not.

Lastly, I'm not positive that the monitor spanning hack works with the latest round of video cards. Hopefully we get some reports from XLR8. If the hack does work, then I will probably get the 12" ibook. If not, I'll have to go with the 14"
  • Reply 5 of 27
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]invest it in bonds earning 6 percent,<hr></blockquote> man, if you really have access to bonds earning 6% right now, let me know.

in all seriousness to the above question though, if you're paying for this, and you don't have thousands in extra cash lying around, it's always better to go with an iBook and just upgrade more often. put it this way, with an iBook, $6,000 would get you 5 different machines. or $6,000 would get your two top line powerbooks. the upgrades that the iBooks get quickly put them on par with a powerbook speed wise, not to mention the biggest factor to consider in your case, which would be wireless range. the iBook is much better than the TiBook in this case, and most law schools have wireless.

the only reason to buy a powerbook is if you have a one time shot, or you need to have the power, or you have more money than you need.

(plus there's a good chance that when you go to upgrade that iBook you get now, it will be a G4)
  • Reply 6 of 27
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    If an ibook 700 were barely usable then I would stray from the thought of ever owning the current model. The new PowerBooks seem to be priced competitive, so if you have to go to Apple for you portable needs this would be the way to go. I know people here claim that an ibook is great for basic tasks; it?s simply not true. The ibook is very underpowered; I would dare call it a dog. Save your self the frustration and fork out the extra cash, buy a PowerBook. You?ll appreciate it more at the end and it has a better resale value. If you can?t afford one then go to a PC solution.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Plus you don't want to be running a G3 in 2-4 years.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    One side note here.

In case you are getting an iBook. Don't turn it off. Just turn it to sleep.

Why? Cause boot up time from an iBook is horribly long.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Plus I don't think you would get $800 for your iBook in two years from now.

I'm also trying to decide but am definitely leaning towards the Powerbook because of I want to watch widescreen movies in bed

Actually, it really has to do with usability. I would use this PB as a desktop as well and I don't need the hassles of a slow machine pushed to the limit just trying to keep up with OSX.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Does anyone plan on going to an apple store or any store that has the new ibooks and playing around on them? If so please post your experience/likes/dislikes. I am five hours away from the nearest store and would like to know how the 800 ibook pans out before I order anything. Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    You're probably right. $500-600 would be more accurate.

Look at iBooks from two years ago. In September 2000, the FireWire equipped 366 and 466 MHz models replaced the previous 300 and 366 MHz models. They cost $1500 and $1800; now they go for $600-$800 (with a premium on Key Lime models because they're quite rare). That means they're worth about 40% of the price when new. 40% of $1300 is $520, for a net cost of about $2100 for two iBooks over the course of four years, assuming that in two years iBook prices haven't gone down (which doesn't make much sense, they may have gone down $100-$300 by then).

Regardless of what you decide, before you go out and buy something, make sure you try them out first. Bring in an audio CD and compare rip times for the PowerBook and iBook. Do what you'd normally do and see how they compare.

EDIT: Dang! Wrote that last paragraph before I saw your reply! I could go over to the Apple Store in the Mall of America sometime, but I don't normally go over there because I don't have a car.

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 27
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    My main iBook gripe is that the 12.1" ones still have only 128MB RAM. Adding (at least) 256MB more will make them much more usuable, especially in OS X.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>My main iBook gripe is that the 12.1" ones still have only 128MB RAM. Adding (at least) 256MB more will make them much more usuable, especially in OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same deal with the 14.1" ones, they just happen to include a second 128 MB RAM module. If you want more RAM, you must remove the 128 MB one and put a new one in.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm not sure what i'm leaning towards. i will be getting the ADC student developer discount, so the 867mhz powerbook with 256 ram and a 60gb hard drive will be 1919 (over 2000 after tax).

Alternatively, a 12.1" ibook with 256 ram and a 40gb hard drive would ring in at 1222 (1300-ish after tax). So the savings is about $700. Also, if i bought an ibook I would definitely buy a dock for it, which is $150. This cuts the savings to $550

Here is what I get for $700 (arguably $550)

Bigger screen, more pixels.

67mhz more on a G4

Current-Generation Video

20GB

33mhz on the system bus
  • Reply 15 of 27
    For $550 more, definitely get the PowerBook! It's such a better deal with that discount.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Why do you need the dock?

you can plug a mouse, keyboard and monitor (1200/768 resolution), fine without one.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    i have to say that I would vote for that PowerBook at those specs, if you can get the discount--more than any of the power discussions, for me it's all about screen real estate.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    and I think that you're better off with a G4 in 2006
  • Reply 19 of 27
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>

Lastly, I'm not positive that the monitor spanning hack works with the latest round of video cards. Hopefully we get some reports from XLR8. If the hack does work, then I will probably get the 12" ibook. If not, I'll have to go with the 14"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would you have to get the 14". Both the 12" and 14" iBooks have the same resolution (1024x768) so things would just be bigger on the 14".
  • Reply 20 of 27
    After reading this thread I'd agree that the powerbook for $1919 is the way to go. However, I just bought the new 12.1" 800mhz iBook and it's really fantastic. I'm used to an 867Mhz Powermac G4 and at work a 1.4Ghz Dell with Win2k. I will admit that the Powermac IS faster, but they are a LOT closer in performance than I expected. The iBook is genuinely quite nice, very usuable and a great deal for the money.

One thing I can safely say, you won't be dissapointed with either machine. They're both fantastic products.

Cheers,

John