This year's 'iPhone 7' will lack major design changes as Apple awaits improved technology - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    toddzrx said:
    I can't believe that people think an even slower upgrade cycle is a good idea. The answer to all of this peak iPhone nonsense and talk of market saturation is to INNOVATE FASTER, not to slow down the rate of innovation. People will buy a new phone if it does amazing new things or is dramatically better, whether they already own an older model iPhone or not.
    Because technology always marches ahead at a steady, predictable cadence, right?

Not even Apple can continue to push technology at a steady pace forever.  No one ever has in any product market.  Look at the situation on the PC side of the house: the market is plenty saturated and to the point where upgrading every 2 to 3 years has changed to 5 or greater.  Why?  The average customer doesn't need the extra capability.  Heck, my home computer is a 2010 iMac with internal SSD: works great for my needs and I plan to keep it for hopefully another 2 years at least.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think we're hitting a plateau in computer tech right now.  Get comfy.
    Everything you said is true until someone, often some new upstart, comes along and actually innovates, which disrupts a usually stagnant business. 

I'm just saying. Apple used to be that company that innovated at a rate faster than the industries they were competing in. The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone. It was just the best smartphone when it debuted, and subsequent updates continued to push the envelope. 

I'm sad to say that Apple used to innovate faster than other companies. That is clearly changing. 
  • Reply 82 of 86
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    If true, this will be the first time in iPhone's history I won't upgrade on a two year cycle. I don't know how many others will skip iPhone 7, but if they're like me, millions of loyal users may leave Apple at the altar crippling the company's already compromised growth and gross. File this under "Tim Cook dropped the ball once AGAIN!" I haven't seen such a lackluster and confused Apple since SJ departed in the 80s. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 83 of 86
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    ... no mention of an upgraded processor? Does that not matter anymore?
  • Reply 84 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cintos said:
    ... no mention of an upgraded processor? Does that not matter anymore?
    No, it’s just a given. The A10 will probably be 25% better than the A9 and that’ll be that.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Good and all, but it looks like my iPhone 5S will live another year. As logical and rational we all think it is, the press and investors are going to blast Apple if they "take a year off."