Apple hands out rainbow Apple Watch bands to commemorate LGBT Pride

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
In celebration of this year's LGBTQ Pride festivities, and the 30th anniversary of its own corporate Pride association, Apple this weekend passed out special rainbow colored Apple Watch bands to employees and published a selection of related iTunes content.

Source: Sakusuhon via Reddit

As seen in the photo above, posted to Reddit on Sunday, Apple produced a small quantity of woven nylon bands done up in Pride regulation rainbow to recognize 30 years of Apple Pride, the company's first Diversity Network Association. Employees who registered for a Pride event, such as the San Francisco parade, received a copy.

Apple once again sent a delegation to this year's Bay Area demonstration, where CEO Tim Cook tweeted out a picture of his contingent wearing company shirts and waving rainbow flags.

After years of marching as individuals, Apple workers received official backing from the company in 2014, support that continues on through to today. In 2015, for example, Apple supplied custom printed T-shirts, flags and banners to parade participants, and later produced a video showcasing its efforts.

Like past years, Apple also activated a dedicated Pride section in the iTunes Store on Sunday. The curated category features music, movies, TV shows, e-books, podcasts and other media honoring individuals who fought for equality "before, during and after the 1969 Stonewall riots."

Just this week President Barack Obama named New York's historic Stonewall Inn as America's first national monument honoring the LGBT movement. In 1969, the Greenwich Village bar was the site of a demonstration later viewed as a flashpoint for modern gay rights.
latifbpronnwaverboylondormac_dogbaconstang

Comments

• Reply 1 of 182
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What a waste of money, time and effort!   
    dasanman69zeus423mike1andrewmacmasterprokipmacseekertallest skilwonkothesaneSpamSandwichTurboPGT
  • Reply 2 of 182
    Tim needs to keep his sexual anarchy politics out of Apple's business. I don't think Steve picked him for his sexuality or politics. 
    dasanman69zeus423andrewmacmasterprokipmacseekertallest skilTurboPGTzafira2000leighrjackansi
  • Reply 3 of 182
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I would love to have one of those bands! Totally cool! I for one are glad a large company such as Apple are doing what no one else is, and thats standing up for LGBT rights. Everyone else is just following. Still in today's world its a harsh world for the LGBT community. 

This is not a waste of time, money and effort. It took little to no money, no time and I'm sure Apple's employees are more than glad to put forth the effort toward something like this. 
    ronndsdwaverboyboopthesnootdanny2earthlondormac_dogericthehalfbeeSolikevin kee
  • Reply 4 of 182
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    nice
    ronndsdwaverboylondorEsquireCatsmejsricbaconstangmessagepad2100Solixbit
  • Reply 5 of 182
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    walter77 said:
    Tim needs to keep his sexual anarchy politics out of Apple's business. I don't think Steve picked him for his sexuality or politics. 
    He likely picked him for his good business sense, judgement, and values, which he and staff are demonstrating. Also, guess you didn't read the part about Apple's 30 years sponsoring the event.
    ronndsdwaverboylolliverdanny2earthlondorEsquireCatsericthehalfbeemejsricbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 182
    wizard69 said:
    What a waste of money, time and effort!   
    I doubt Apple's employees consider this gift a waste of money, time and effort.

And, as a stock holder, I am okay with it.
    ronndsdwaverboylevidanny2earthlondorEsquireCatsericthehalfbeemejsricbaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 182
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Who needs new Macs when you can get rainbow colored watch bands. 
    zeus423irelandmike1tallest skilTurboPGTjackansijbdragonGymkhana
  • Reply 8 of 182
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Right, because this is making Apple not be focused on creating new products. I love comments like this! I'm sure Apple has been spending MONTHS creating and planning this pride event, totally dismissing the fact that they need to get new Mac products out the door. 
    ronnwhy-dsdlolliverlondorEsquireCatsRayz2016ericthehalfbeebaconstangsteinm88299
  • Reply 9 of 182
    macxpress said:
    I would love to have one of those bands! Totally cool! I for one are glad a large company such as Apple are doing what no one else is, and thats standing up for LGBT rights. Everyone else is just following. Still in today's world its a harsh world for the LGBT community. 

This is not a waste of time, money and effort. It took little to no money, no time and I'm sure Apple's employees are more than glad to put forth the effort toward something like this. 
    Yes, it's very harsh, the endless pride celebrations, the fawning from the media, phone calls from the President. Heck, if you're a crap sports player, you can just claim you're gay and get special treatment!
    mike1andrewmacmastertallest skiljbdragoncaribbean_macicoco3
  • Reply 10 of 182
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    Yes fans, it's been another fun game of Spot The Bigot!
    lenaronnlondorEsquireCatsRayz2016baconstangSolithepixeldocsingularityxbit
  • Reply 11 of 182
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Yo Apple, where is my special made, limited edition, straight-white-male-awesome-hetero watch band?

Maybe they can give some out at the next hetero parade that's taking place, if such a thing even exists.

I can just see it, 5 years from now, Tim Cook will be standing on stage, and he'll be announcing the latest iPhone.

"We at Apple are pleased to introduce our latest iPhone, and we regret to inform you that it will no longer be available in Space Grey! It will only come in Rainbow Gay! No gold, or pink gold or silver either. They're all history as of this moment. "

When it comes to politics and Apple, less is better. And that goes for all corporations.  :#

andrewmacmasterprokiptallest skilzeus423SpamSandwichleighrroake
  • Reply 12 of 182
    apple ][ said:
    Yo Apple, where is my special made, limited edition, straight-white-male-awesome-hetero watch band?

Maybe they can give some out at the next hetero parade that's taking place, if such a thing even exists.

I can just see it, 5 years from now, Tim Cook will be standing on stage, and he'll be announcing the latest iPhone.

"We at Apple are pleased to introduce our latest iPhone, and we regret to inform you that it will no longer be available in Space Grey! It will only come in Rainbow Gay! No gold, or pink gold or silver either. They're all history as of this moment. "

When it comes to politics and Apple, less is better. And that goes for all corporations. 

when you get physically attacked/raped/abused/sent to "correctional therapy"/threatened/abandoned for being straight let me know. I don't know why you have such a problem with people celebrating something they fought hard to be able to express
    edited June 2016 dsdlenalolliverronndanny2earthlondorericthehalfbeemejsricbaconstangSoli
  • Reply 13 of 182
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I yearn for the day where people don't feel they need a parade to prove their worth.
    rogifan_newandrewmacmastermacseekerzeus423SpamSandwichpropodAnixiamenbillicoco3
  • Reply 14 of 182
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple has been involved in this for 30 years, I think they did all right before hey...
    lolliverronnlondormejsricbaconstangthepixeldocdtidmoreiosenthusiastjroyration al
  • Reply 15 of 182
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    why- said:
    apple ][ said:

When it comes to politics and Apple, less is better. And that goes for all corporations. 

when you get physically attacked/raped/abused/sent to "correctional therapy"/threatened/abandoned for being straight let me know. I don't know why you have such a problem with people celebrating something they fought hard to be able to express
    Big deal. Every group in society has their own issues to deal with. They don't go around holding parades every 5 minutes.

The white, straight, non leftist male is one of the most discriminated against species in the entire world, and it's basically open season on them from the entire left and the liemedia. 

Of course even worse, is being a non leftist gay. There aren't many of them around, but they have my respect. Leftist gays are a dime a dozen, and they don't have much courage.

andrewmacmasterleighrjackansistourque
  • Reply 16 of 182
    walter77walter77 Posts: 28member
    levi said:
    walter77 said:
    He likely picked him for his good business sense, judgement, and values, which he and staff are demonstrating. Also, guess you didn't read the part about Apple's 30 years sponsoring the event.
    The 30 year sponsorship might be a defense, except his anti-Trump position will hurt Apple if Trump wins. Large corporation should be more neutral in presidential politics and other controversial areas. Tim needs to keep his politics to himself...
    andrewmacmastermacseekerSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 182
    Better question, why aren't they selling these bands!? I want one of these!
    why-ronndanny2earthlondormejsricpropodAniiosenthusiastretrogustoxiamenbill
  • Reply 18 of 182
    When last heard from, Apple was an innovator and merchandiser of high tech hardware and software. Where the hell has Apple gone? Chasing the rainbow will not sell more hardware and software. 
    andrewmacmastermacseekertallest skilzeus423SpamSandwichjackansi
  • Reply 19 of 182
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    macxpress said:

How about human rights.  LGBT is a subgroup that corporations like Apple are trying to crowbar into a minority category so that it's basically illegal not to give them preferential treatment.  We get into a situation where they become a supergroup with more rights than me because if you don't actively support the confusion that is homosexuality, then you are guilty of "hate."

Timothy needs to separate his sexual confusion from Apple and politics.
    andrewmacmastermacseekertallest skilicoco3
  • Reply 20 of 182
    apple ][ said:
    Big deal. Every group in society has their own issues to deal with. They don't go around holding parades every 5 minutes.
    oh boo hoo. turn off the telly if you don't like seeing them

apple ][ said:
    The white, straight, non leftist male is one of the most discriminated against species in the entire world
    you seem to be confused about the difference between being rude to someone and discriminating against them. give me an example of how you've been discriminated against aside from "I don't get a parade :("

ronndanny2earthlondorxixoericthehalfbeemejsricbaconstangdsdSolinasserae