Apple still working on next-gen external display with integrated graphics card - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    wizard69 said:
    saltyzip said:
    How many people will be interested in one of these?
    Good question! It really depends upon implementation, I'd be very reluctant to buy a monitor that can only work with Apple products for example. Then you have the question of how much acceleration is actually in the display. We all know how stingy Apple can be with GPU performance.
    The GPU wouldn't likely be any faster than the next iMac but that will go up to NVidia 980 level soon. This kind of display setup would make sense for the Mac Pro too, even though it has far more powerful GPUs as one of the Mac Pro GPUs is used to drive the displays while the other is for compute. This would allow the display to manage itself and both GPUs can be used for compute without affecting the display's responsiveness.

The 12" Macbook doesn't have Thunderbolt to be able to run it so it would only apply to next year's model unless Apple can get USB C's alt mode to drive the GPU.

It doesn't make sense that Apple would tell people it's being discontinued and to buy 3rd party displays though. Surely they'd say, whatever you do, don't buy a 3rd party display because we're working on an update to the Thunderbolt display that hasn't been discontinued.

They could hit some of the PC gaming crowd if they bring out a 24" 4K model at a lower price point. A lot of PC users have laptops, which have Thunderbolt, even the Surface Pro. It would be more expensive than a standard display but the GPU is what would sell them on it. When it detects a PC being plugged in, it can popup ads for Apple products.

External GPUs perform well enough:

but the setup needs proper support as this video reports issues booting and using the GPU:

It would need plug and play support on both Mac and Windows systems. Out of the two scenarios of Apple making a TB display with a GPU (and keeping the GPU updated in a product they haven't updated for nearly 5 years) or discontinuing it, the latter seems more likely given the direction Apple has been moving in over recent years. It would be one of the best designed displays available, the iMac has a much better display than 3rd party monitors but this seems like another of those things that would be nice if Apple would do it and they never do.
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Another possible advantage of having a built in GPU is that they could be used with iOS devices. Could also have Airplay built into the display as well. 
    I like having the built-in GPU to offload heat and power consumption to the monitor. Add networking and Airplay capabilities and then it could be used wirelessly with iOS devices.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Interesting to see that no one has mentioned possible touch screen like iPhone/iPad. That would be nice feature to have especially when Siri is becoming a standard way of using the computer. 
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Another possible advantage of having a built in GPU is that they could be used with iOS devices. Could also have Airplay built into the display as well. 

Yes there is something else possible here. Extensions to lower powered devices, AirPlay from low or high powered devices, AppleTV functionality. 

It hardly makes sense to imagine them selling a 5K Thunderbolt 3 external display with an integrated graphics card without offering one without the graphics card. Mainly due to the Mac Pro, not to mention the iMac 5K, and the coming Thunderbolt 3 versions of each.
    I'm still hoping for one server with 3 separate monitor+keyboard+mouse. That'd fit with a Mac Pro. 

But I concede it unlikely!
  • Reply 45 of 61
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member

I really like this concept. With the technology that Apple has worked with to power graphics in iPad and iPhone, it feels to me they can develop a custom solution to drive this at a reasonable cost versus putting a true "graphic card" inside a monitor. It would also allow the monitor to be sleek and sexy like its laptops.
    First, a rumor with unnamed sources. Second, "at a reasonable cost"? I expect we'll see it shortly after we see an Apple branded car, so around 2030.
    If Apple's around in 2030
    kermit4krazy
  • Reply 46 of 61
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    ireland said:
    I don't think that "citing unnamed sources" is confirmation of anything. 
    John Paczkowski's unnamed sources have been solid for a few years now. This is a direct Apple leak. I'll leave it to Gruber to convince you, whenever he next posts.
    Agreed.
    ireland
  • Reply 47 of 61
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So every Mac would come with a very decent iGPU, enough to for most Hardware 2D rendering and UI acceleration, simple 3D video etc.

Anything serious such as gaming or professional work, you could use an external GPU with an 3rd party monitor, or an Apple Display with both intergrated.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
    Although i am not quite sure how Macbook fits into this because its USB-C is simply not fast enough.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    My only issue with this rumor is that Apple actively encouraged users to purchase third-party monitors when it announced the discontinuation of the Thunderbolt Display. 

Why would it do that, giving Mac users that have been waiting for a successor in essence the go-ahead to buy a superior monitor from another manufacturer, then turn around and release what its customers have been clamoring for all along?

If they had left out the whole "go buy something else comment", I'd be more inclined to believe this rumor 
  • Reply 49 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mazda 3s said:
    My only issue with this rumor is that Apple actively encouraged users to purchase third-party monitors when it announced the discontinuation of the Thunderbolt Display. 

Why would it do that...
    Because at a minimum the 5K Apple Display won't be ready for a few months.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 50 of 61
    wshuff4wshuff4 Posts: 47member
    I have no inside information per se, but I can assure you that the 5k display will come, with a GPU, and a built in butler that cleans your house and does your taxes.  And it will be cheaper than the previous offering.  How do I know this? Because I'm the guy who bought a Thunderbolt Display the day before it got discontinued.  So clearly whatever comes next will be able to fold up into your pocket, but when unfolded can be as big as you want. Thankfully, the display I bought does everything I need it to do but still . . .
  • Reply 51 of 61
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    cornchip said:
    Saving now.
    Saved a year ago. C'mon Apple!
  • Reply 52 of 61
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    wizard69 said:
    saltyzip said:
    How many people will be interested in one of these?
    Good question! It really depends upon implementation, I'd be very reluctant to buy a monitor that can only work with Apple products for example. Then you have the question of how much acceleration is actually in the display. We all know how stingy Apple can be with GPU performance.
    Perhaps multiple configurations based on need?
  • Reply 53 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting to see that no one has mentioned possible touch screen like iPhone/iPad. That would be nice feature to have especially when Siri is becoming a standard way of using the computer. 
    The lack of logic here amazes me.    What does Siri have to do with touch screens.    You don't intend to molest Siri I hope.  
  • Reply 54 of 61
    ksec said:
    So every Mac would come with a very decent iGPU, enough to for most Hardware 2D rendering and UI acceleration, simple 3D video etc.

Anything serious such as gaming or professional work, you could use an external GPU with an 3rd party monitor, or an Apple Display with both intergrated.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
    Although i am not quite sure how Macbook fits into this because its USB-C is simply not fast enough.
    Eventually MB will be fast enough and have TB3 support.   I would imagine one more revision from Intel, Kaby Lake maybe.    It is hard to tell with Intel these days, they really need to get down to 10nm for Apple to be able to make a decent Mac Book.    At the rate Intel is going that could be 2020.    Of course then we will have the idiots posting blaming Apple for no decent upgrades.   
  • Reply 55 of 61
    mazda 3s said:
    If they had left out the whole "go buy something else comment", I'd be more inclined to believe this rumor 
    Yeah I know what you mean!   I can see this as an Apple approach to a problem but if they are doing something like this they took the wrong approach with the announcement  if you ask me 
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Perhaps multiple configurations based on need?
    Yeah I can see that too and frankly wouldn't be all that happy about it. The problem with video monitors is this, they last a long time and even when outdated can be demoted to other uses around the home or even at work. If this monitor doesn't support some sort of legacy connection it will be a hard sell. Frankly for what it costs these days the screen should also support broadcast and cable TV. Speaking of cable, how about AppleTV functionality built in? This would allow leveraging the monitor with modern features for entertainment. The interesting thing here is that AMD was talking up putting ARM into their GPU chips. All that talk went dark about a year and a half ago. Makes you wonder if they are working with Apple for an optimized chip set with enough intelligence to support AppleTV, the hub features and a GPU fast enough for this sort of monitor. I could see this happening, Apple has the cash to get AMD to do custom work.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    And, like the Thunderbolt Display, I'm not the slightest bit interested in it.
    Yet you bothered to post on here to tell us. Not everyone is you.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    ireland said:
    Can't say I didn't call this.
    They have produced the thunderbolt display for more than 5 years at this point, and they mentioned that the thunderbolt display will still be available for a little while. If something new was coming, they would have announced it. Instead they announced that if you want a thunderbolt display, you should buy one before they run out of components, similar to what was done with the XServe. I'm curious what makes you confident that they would break with all previous patterns as opposed to postponing a couple months until the new one can be announced.
    edited June 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 59 of 61
    odinsdadodinsdad Posts: 13member
    Looks like the Apple Thunderbolt display is still in stock...
  • Reply 60 of 61
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    semi_guy said:
    I like having the built-in GPU to offload heat and power consumption to the monitor. Add networking and Airplay capabilities and then it could be used wirelessly with iOS devices.
    Then add a CPU and you have an iMac.

(You did point out the only thing that I see as a benefit though: keeping heat out of a laptop.  Some MBP users had to find out the hard way that Apple and discrete laptop graphics don't exactly go well together)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more I think about a GPU/Monitor combo though, the more the idea seems like total idiocy.  Only a sucker would buy something like that.  Apple just doesn't have the interest to keep something like this up to date, as it has proven by a "Pro" level machine that has so much proprietary design going on inside that they can't even keep it updated.  They make this and they'll be selling it with the exact same GPU for the next 5 years thinking "nothing wrong here" while waving a false flag of innovation to keep the fanbois happy.
    edited June 2016