Rumor: Apple's space gray 'iPhone 7' will be a 'much darker color'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's space gray color option for iPhones could return to a darker shade, closer to black with the upcoming "iPhone 7," according to a new report.

Space gray iPhone 5s vs black and slate iPhone 5. Via Mike Cronin.

Citing his own sources, Danbo of Macotakara reached out to AppleInsider on Monday to indicate that Apple is expected to offer the "iPhone 7" in a "much darker color" than the current space gray option found on the iPhone 6s series.

Tipsters apparently indicated that the new, darker shade of iPhone will be close to black, though not quite black.

Apple previously offered the iPhone 5 in a black and slate color that was much darker than the current space gray options. Space gray was first introduced with the iPhone 5s in 2013.

Though Apple uses the same space gray branding for different products, the color is far from consistent. For example, the space gray found on the Apple Watch Sport is a darker shade than the Series 7000 aluminum used on the space gray iPhone 6s.

Apple also offers a "space black" stainless steel Apple Watch, which itself is darker than the space gray sport model.

Monday's indications from Macotakara sources appear to be a clarification from earlier reports that suggested Apple would ditch space gray for a "deep blue" color option. Sources who claim to have seen the next-generation iPhone coloring apparently mistook the darker space gray for a blue shade.

In addition to space gray, the iPhone lineup also comes in silver, gold, and rose gold. It's expected that all four of those colors will remain for the next-generation "iPhone 7."

Rumors and parts leaks point to a largely unchanged chassis design, expected to ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack. Internally, the device is rumored to have an upgraded "A10" processor, a 256-gigabyte storage tier, and an all-new dual-lens camera system for the larger "iPhone 7 Plus" variant.

Apple is expected to launch its next-generation iPhone in September alongside the release of iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    This could be true, would be cheaper to make and with the EU Britain could still get it lol
  • Reply 2 of 26
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Yay. People that buy Space Grey do so because its the only thing close to a "black" model.
    netmagejackansiwaverboycornchip
  • Reply 3 of 26
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    TurboPGT said:
    Yay. People that buy Space Grey do so because its the only thing close to a "black" model.
    Plus it's the only model with a black front. I would be happy to have either the silver or regular gold if they offered them with black fronts. 
    [Deleted User]jackansijbishop1039xiamenbill
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    And there will also be iPhones in pink, blue, purple, and candy stripe. You heard it here first.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So space grey is being discontinued and darkened. Thanks rumor mill. 
    jackansi
  • Reply 6 of 26
    I hope at least they add something new like "water-proofing", AMOLED screen or higher resolution, come on!!
    It's time to upgrade something else beside just a faster processor and more storage.... 

:/
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    isteelers said:
    TurboPGT said:
    Plus it's the only model with a black front. I would be happy to have either the silver or regular gold if they offered them with black fronts. 
    Hahaha.  I'm assuming, isteelers, you're a Steelers fan and would like a black and gold iPhone?  :D

But yeah, how hard would it be to offer each body in a black and white face?  Not hard.  I think they've already proven with watch bands that the concept of mix-n-match is sound...

I always thought the new "space grey" needed to be darker like back in the iPhone 5 days.  They need a "deep space" that is as black as they can possibly get.
    edited June 2016 xiamenbill
  • Reply 8 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Call me crazy (and you will) but I don't think Apple will use "7" branding regarding this year's new iPhone models.

I think next year's iPhone will be iPhone 7 and this year's will be something else. Possibilities include iPhone 6x and 6x plus or iPhone 6 SE (unlikely) or something else.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    ireland said:
    Call me crazy (and you will) but I don't think Apple will use "7" branding regarding this year's new iPhone models.

I think next year's iPhone will be iPhone 7 and this year's will be something else. Possibilities include iPhone 6x and 6x plus or iPhone 6 SE (unlikely) or something else.
    I wouldn't call it crazy to save the "7" branding for an actual new design at all.  It would actually be a good move IMHO.  Though, I think it's just as likely they will drop the number completely.
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 26
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    ... thanks for at least mentioning the new A10. Seems to get overlooked when pundits try to minimize the 7 upgrade features.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Deep space. 
  • Reply 12 of 26
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I really like the current Space Gray on my 5S, its my favourite shade on all Apple products that have that option. The iPad looks fantastic in it too, much better than silver or the golds. Before it no electronic products in that particular shade of grey had ever existed, it was a first, black on the other hand has been available on everything forever! I'll miss it if they do indeed darken it significantly. But if it does happen at least its not going to a be a shade of blue. Which would of been okay as an additional colour option, but not a replacement for Space Gray.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    If we're depending on idiots who can't tell the difference between dark gray and blue we're in trouble.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Space isn't grey. The CMB isn't visible light.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 26
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    can you imagine the row if the iPhone 7 had swappable back covers
  • Reply 16 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    In space... No one can tell what color grey it is. 
    fastasleepwhy-cornchipmacgui
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I think a Space Black or whatever it will be called, would look pretty slick with a chromed/mirrored Apple logo and iPhone text, along with the Touch ID, camera and Lightning port rings too. Kinda like the iPhone 4 had.I know the text is probably not possible, but the rest would look great. 
  • Reply 18 of 26
    GymkhanaGymkhana Posts: 45member
    Wow, Jony and Timmy, launching all this great innovation!  Let me guess...this year they'll come out with all new Watch bands in new colors!  Yawn.  Just move the power button back to it's rightful place at the top of the phone, and make the phone smarter to prevent pocket dialing.  Never had these problems with the Steve Jobs era iPhones.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    eriamjh said:
    In space... No one can tell what color grey it is. 
    All cats are space gray in the dark...
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    why- said:
    can you imagine the row if the iPhone 7 had swappable back covers
    It does in the form of cases.
    Apple store in store people will even offered me a free case to move rose gold iPad pro stock on the pitch once you put it in a case no one will know its metallic pink.

Bring on a dark dark almost black 4" iPhone 7 and I'm there.
    cornchip