Apple hands out rainbow Apple Watch bands to commemorate LGBT Pride

Comments

• Reply 81 of 182
    Tim is the wrong person to lead such a big company. No charisma, no vision, no pr man. Let him work in the backoffice and dont let him speak to the media. Please Mr. Cook, step down and let someone else lead this company.
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 82 of 182
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    In celebration of this year's LGBTQ Pride festivities, and the 30th anniversary of its own corporate Pride association, Apple this weekend passed out special rainbow colored Apple Watch bands to employees and published a selection of related iTunes content.

Source: Sakusuhon via Reddit

As seen in the photo above, posted to Reddit on Sunday, Apple produced a small quantity of woven nylon bands done up in Pride regulation rainbow to recognize 30 years of Apple Pride, the company's first Diversity Network Association. Employees who registered for a Pride event, such as the San Francisco parade, received a copy.

So wait, did the employee get a watch band even if they didn't own a watch? Was the presumption that they all own a watch, and if they didn't, they would buy one? Was it a prerequisite for being able to register for a Pride event? Apple didn't give them a watch too did they?
    tallest skilzeus423
  • Reply 83 of 182
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    walter77 said:
    Tim needs to keep his sexual anarchy politics out of Apple's business. I don't think Steve picked him for his sexuality or politics. 
    Tim can boycott the Republican convention and I will boycott Apple products.  Tim you are a pompous asshole!

LOL, you realize that most of the Republican Party is boycotting the Republican convention? LOL
    jroylondorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 84 of 182
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    mac_128 said:
    Tim can boycott the Republican convention and I will boycott Apple products.  Tim you are a pompous asshole!

LOL, you realize that most of the Republican Party is boycotting the Republican convention? LOL
    LOL you realize the reason for that is that is Trump is not a play-by-the-rules-puppet? LOL
    tallest skilSpamSandwichzeus423
  • Reply 85 of 182
    hittrj01 said:
    I disagree.  Apple has always been involved in the humanities, this is one example.  This gesture is also in support of LGBT community and employees everywhere, not just Apple.  It's comments and attitudes like yours is why Pride exists....Try walking in our shoes. Lose the hate.
    Why should I care if someone is gay? Why should I care if they're black, or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, or transexual, or male, or female? Everyone is human, and everyone is entitled to the same basic human rights as everyone else. No more, no less. Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and there is no place for it, but it's the same for preferential treatment. If that's a hateful stance to you, then there is no reasoning with you.
    Yes, this is what it has come to. The bought and paid for media has done wonders following through with the divide and conquer agenda, and has convinced minority groups that need special treatment. Equality isn't enough. It is not something that any rational human being should be in favor of, but unfortunately people are suceptible to all kinds of mental programming and conditioning. Trust me if it weren't being broadcast 24/7, it wouldn't exist.
    tallest skildocno42
  • Reply 86 of 182
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    why- said "give me an example of how you've been discriminated against aside from "I don't get a parade :("

What is wrong with celebrating heterosexuality? Way too many heterophobic comments here. 
    tallest skilai46zeus423
  • Reply 87 of 182
    I occasionally have sex with my wife of 36 years and occasionally have sex with my hand...Does that make me bisexual?
    zeus423
  • Reply 88 of 182
    I have three Apple computers, an iPad, and two iPhones in my house...Does that make me LGBT?
  • Reply 89 of 182
    leighr said:
    why- said "give me an example of how you've been discriminated against aside from "I don't get a parade :("

What is wrong with celebrating heterosexuality? Way too many heterophobic comments here. 
    The oppressed minority thinks you have it good enough as it is.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 90 of 182
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macxpress said:
    I would love to have one of those bands! Totally cool! I for one are glad a large company such as Apple are doing what no one else is, and thats standing up for LGBT rights. Everyone else is just following. Still in today's world its a harsh world for the LGBT community. 

This is not a waste of time, money and effort. It took little to no money, no time and I'm sure Apple's employees are more than glad to put forth the effort toward something like this. 

It is a matter of opinion but the LGBT community is getting far more support than it needs. There are many many more severe birth defects that need our collective attention.   In fact the LGBT community wastes a lot of public resources demanding special rights the rest of us don't have.  

it is a total waste of time money and effort as the majority of Apples employees don't fall into this category.     Further these company give aways even if directed more generally are often hated by a companies employees.      The problem is in most cases $$$$$ go farther than a gift that nobody needs.   It makes a company look cheap and petty.  
    tallest skil
  • Reply 91 of 182
    wizard69 said:
    What a waste of money, time and effort!   
    I doubt Apple's employees consider this gift a waste of money, time and effort.

And, as a stock holder, I am okay with it.
    Frankly I'm pretty sure they do.    Look at it from my perspective I work for a large corporation, every year they hold a party and give a gift to the employees.   Usually some cheap imported Chinese crap.    Most of this stuff ends up in the trash afterwards.    Often these sorts of things come off more as an insult that's anything else.   

So so no doubts here.  
    tallest skil
  • Reply 92 of 182
    macxpress said:
    Who needs new Macs when you can get rainbow colored watch bands. 

Right, because this is making Apple not be focused on creating new products. I love comments like this! I'm sure Apple has been spending MONTHS creating and planning this pride event, totally dismissing the fact that they need to get new Mac products out the door. 
    It wouldn't be unheard of to have a CEO come through and stop everybody in their tracks to get support for their favored social issue, charity event or whatever. I've seen this happened several times.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 93 of 182
    why- said:
    apple ][ said:
    Yo Apple, where is my special made, limited edition, straight-white-male-awesome-hetero watch band?

Maybe they can give some out at the next hetero parade that's taking place, if such a thing even exists.

I can just see it, 5 years from now, Tim Cook will be standing on stage, and he'll be announcing the latest iPhone.

"We at Apple are pleased to introduce our latest iPhone, and we regret to inform you that it will no longer be available in Space Grey! It will only come in Rainbow Gay! No gold, or pink gold or silver either. They're all history as of this moment. "

When it comes to politics and Apple, less is better. And that goes for all corporations. 

when you get physically attacked/raped/abused/sent to "correctional therapy"/threatened/abandoned for being straight let me know. I don't know why you have such a problem with people celebrating something they fought hard to be able to express
    People get attacked everyday for all sorts of perverse issues the attacker may have. The idea that the LGBT community is special in this regard is non sense. Further in many cases members of the LGBT community instigate these attacks and in doing so end up getting exactly what the deserve. It really blows my mind that the LGBT community thinks it is so damn special when there is nothing happening in this country that they haven't brought on themselves.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 94 of 182
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    TurboPGT said:
    leighr said:

The oppressed minority thinks you have it good enough as it is.
    Right..... Hets are celebrated 364 days a year, I guess you want the one day that's left?
    nolamacguywhy-londor
  • Reply 95 of 182
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    What a waste of time! Thanks for ruining the Rainbow for me!!! Where's the Straight Pride Parade? Why does there need to be a parade at all, let alone shoved into my face? I don't care what you want to do in your bedroom. Thanks to this so called group, we now have predators in some woman's bathrooms. Even in schools. It's getting ridiculous. The way it's going, there won't be a Men's and Woman's bathroom anymore, it's the IT/THING bathroom. Anyone can uses no matter if you're a Man, Woman, IT or THING. In Schools, Restaurants, and the Gym. Everyone's else's rights have been thrown right out of the window. Hey Apple, why not go and hand out some of these bands in a few other countries you sell phones at and see what happens.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 96 of 182
    wizard69 said:
    Being homophobic is one thing, but trying to hide your obvious homophobia behind a set of weak reasons is gutless. People like you are why there are pride parades.
    I don't have a problem here, it is a waste because most of the people at Apple don't give a damn one way or the other. All these give aways do is make the leadership feel good. In the end the crap ends up in the trash. It has nothing to do with being homophobic it is directly related to the fact that it is a massive waste. It isn't like I haven't seen these sorts of corporate give aways locally. The reasoning may be different but in the end people end up feeling exploited for cheap Chinese that ends up in a landfill.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 97 of 182
    wizard69 said:
    I disagree.  Apple has always been involved in the humanities, this is one example.  This gesture is also in support of LGBT community and employees everywhere, not just Apple.  It's comments and attitudes like yours is why Pride exists....Try walking in our shoes. Lose the hate.
    I don't need to walk in your shoes because the issue of waste has nothing to do with your community. These sorts of give aways do little for employees and really are feel good moves by management. You average employees will just feel insulted and would rather just have some extra cash.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 98 of 182
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    TurboPGT said:
    hittrj01 said:
    Why should I care if someone is gay? Why should I care if they're black, or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, or transexual, or male, or female? Everyone is human, and everyone is entitled to the same basic human rights as everyone else. No more, no less. Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and there is no place for it, but it's the same for preferential treatment. If that's a hateful stance to you, then there is no reasoning with you.
    Yes, this is what it has come to. The bought and paid for media has done wonders following through with the divide and conquer agenda, and has convinced minority groups that need special treatment. Equality isn't enough. It is not something that any rational human being should be in favor of, but unfortunately people are suceptible to all kinds of mental programming and conditioning. Trust me if it weren't being broadcast 24/7, it wouldn't exist.
    what nonsense. equality hasnt even been reached yet -- the SCOTUS only just ruled on gay marriage. many states and communities are still trying to figure out ways around it. maybe you havent heard of some of these govt workers refusing to issue permits, etc...
    londorferdinandccdsd
  • Reply 99 of 182
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It makes me so sad to read most of these comments. homophobia is the exact reason why it's important to have these parades.
    Except no one is afraid of them, so you can stop the parades now.
    People have to stand up for their rights and for love.
    Have a fucking argument, please. I’ve already torn this one apart.
    If you are a white heterosexual male you are in the best position in this society
    CITATION. FUCKING. NEEDED. You don’t want to go down this route, so just admit you were wrong and don’t post it again.
    To the question why Apple doesn't sell these bands: it is because it is for people who want to wear them with PRIDE and for the cause and not because they think the rainbow color band looks fancy or something.
    So you immediately completely undermine your entire claim (hurr they’re equal they’re the same hurr) by stating that they’re an exclusive club. I’m in no way surprised–it’s the only thing that they and their supporters EVER do–but it gets fucking tiring that people haven’t wizened up to the truth of this shit after how long it has been.
    Today's world is full of BS.
    And you’re supporting it.
    How can a normal person really think about a special band for the heterosexual white male?
    Here’s a brain-teaser for you: WHY THE FUCK DO YOU GET SOMETHING ANYONE ELSE DOESN'T? HOW IS THAT “EQUAL”? You don’t give a fuck about “equality”.

beltsbear said:
    ...call an entire group to be degenerates...
    Learn what words mean.

Calling something degeneracy is not an indication of distaste; it’s in the context of a functioning human society. A deteriorating society is very much a degenerate one.

Having your people become unhealthy is degenerate.
    Having your people’s birth rates drop is degenerate.
    Having your men and women become so repulsive to the opposite sex is degenerate.
    Having your young adults still dependent on their parents is degenerate.
    Having homosexuals is degenerate.
    Having drug culture is degenerate.

Leftists don’t like the word ‘degenerate’ because leftists always want revolution by means of destroying established points of order. Leftists also don’t like to think of their degeneracy as dangerous to the well-being of a society because they live in such luxury that they think they can afford some slackening of the vigilance that brought their luxury to them in the first place.
    edited June 2016 bestkeptsecretdocno42
  • Reply 100 of 182
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:
    I would love to have one of those bands! Totally cool! I for one are glad a large company such as Apple are doing what no one else is, and thats standing up for LGBT rights. Everyone else is just following. Still in today's world its a harsh world for the LGBT community. 

This is not a waste of time, money and effort. It took little to no money, no time and I'm sure Apple's employees are more than glad to put forth the effort toward something like this. 
    It is a matter of opinion but the LGBT community is getting far more support than it needs. There are many many more severe birth defects that need our collective attention.   In fact the LGBT community wastes a lot of public resources demanding special rights the rest of us don't have.  

it is a total waste of time money and effort as the majority of Apples employees don't fall into this category.     Further these company give aways even if directed more generally are often hated by a companies employees.      The problem is in most cases $$$$$ go farther than a gift that nobody needs.   It makes a company look cheap and petty.  
    hmm and what "special rights" are you refering to, specifically? seeing as the SCOTUS has only just ruled on gay marriage and its not even on the books in most states. so again, please be specific on these special rights. are they anything like property rights, inheritance, hospital visitation, next of kin, etc etc? rights gays have been fighting for for decades?

apple's decades-old support doesnt make them look cheap & petty. your perverted view of what gay rights is really about just makes you look out of touch and gross.
    edited June 2016 londorfastasleepferdinandccdsd