Alleged 'iPhone 7' chassis shows symmetrical speakers, lacks 3.5mm headphone jack

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Yet another leaked "iPhone 7" part suggests that Apple will use the space previously occupied by the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack to feature a symmetrical speaker design at the bottom of the device.

Via Nowhereelse.fr.

Photos of an alleged "iPhone 7" gold chassis were published this week by Nowhereelse.fr, showing yet another component without a legacy headphone jack. In its place to the left of the Lightning port, the part appears to show a series of six holes for a speaker, matching the six holes on the right side.

In the current iPhone 6s design, just one identically-sized opening is found to the left of the Lightning port, serving as the microphone input.

If the newly leaked chassis is legitimate, it's likely that one of the six holes could serve as a microphone input, with the remaining five offering louder sound with additional speaker outputs. Or, perhaps all six holes on the left side could be a microphone input. Either way, the matching six holes on each side allow for a symmetrical appearance.

Two holes closer to the Lightning port likely serve as screws for disassembling the device, as they have with past models.

In another photo, the chassis shows a hole for a single camera lens, along with the traditional accompanying rear microphone and camera flash.

Via Nowhereelse.fr.

The camera hole also appears to be protruding, with the metal itself around the hole raised. That would be a tweak from the current iPhone 6s design, where the metal is flat but the lens itself protrudes.

If the part is authentic and previous leaks prove accurate, it's likely that the chassis is from Apple's forthcoming 4.7-inch iPhone update. It's believed that a new dual-lens design, along with 3 gigabytes of RAM for image processing, will be exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch Plus model.

All is expected to be revealed in September, when Apple is likely to hold a media event to announce its next-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    That camera design looks much better than the last leak. 
    TurboPGTdoozydozenmelodyof1974lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 59
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Camera bump 4life. 

I take pictures of my kids with this camera. These pictures are priceless. I don't care what Apple has to do to the design of the iPhone to keep making the camera great...the photos are what matters. Not the frigging metal brick.
    nolamacguylolliverfastasleepiqatedoredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 59
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Is it just me or does the lightning port look crooked (left side higher than right) and the left holes are bigger than the ones on the right?  Sure looks like a fake to me.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 4 of 59
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Frankly, I think the current stainless ring around the lens of the camera is better, if we have to have something stick out. The stainless ring is going to be less apt to be damaged than a thin formed piece of aluminum as shown above and on the Plus sized double lens version.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Disappointing if true,  The headphone jack is one of the most important features to me.... Way more important than the camera...  I use it hours every day in multiple locations, connected to different devices (car stereo, large quality headphones I keep at work, small ear buds I use for working out, and multiple home stereos depending on what room I am in). 

No other audio interface will suffice,  I am not willing to sacrifice the quality & convenience of a traditional headphone jack, I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to buy several dongles or spend hundreds of dollars to change my audio equipment,  And I am not willing to carry a dongle with me at all times. 

Its a simple, ubiquitous, quality, standard, with no peer.   Its not like the floppy disk, its not like fire wire.

So if these rumors are, true my next phone will be an android.

ZooMigodamonfmobiuslord amhrancnocbuiaylkHabi_tweet6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Allegedly leaked "iPhone 7" part...
    TFTFY.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Disappointing if true,  The headphone jack is one of the most important features to me.... Way more important than the camera...  I use it hours every day in multiple locations, connected to different devices (car stereo, large quality headphones I keep at work, small ear buds I use for working out, and multiple home stereos depending on what room I am in). 

No other audio interface will suffice,  I am not willing to sacrifice the quality & convenience of a traditional headphone jack, I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to buy several dongles or spend hundreds of dollars to change my audio equipment,  And I am not willing to carry a dongle with me at all times. 

Its a simple, ubiquitous, quality, standard, with no peer.   Its not like the floppy disk, its not like fire wire.

You'd jump into that Android mess over a headphone jack that'll be replaced by countless adapters? Good luck.
    edited June 2016 redraider11nolamacguywilliamlondondoozydozenTurboPGTlolliverfastasleepredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 59
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Frankly, I think the current stainless ring around the lens of the camera is better, if we have to have something stick out. The stainless ring is going to be less apt to be damaged than a thin formed piece of aluminum as shown above and on the Plus sized double lens version.
    I think this design is simply making room for the OIS unit that's rumored to be included in the 7. Apple usually does things for a reason.
    edited June 2016 doozydozenlolliverredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 59
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member

some people the headphone jack is a total deal breaker but for most us we use bluetooth anyways, and secondary old anolog headphone technology is not going to come back in a big way, its on its way out, and one day in a few years no phones will have them.
    redraider11doozydozenlolliverfastasleepredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 59

For how long? Once Apple drop the headphone jack it'll become more and more prevalent amongst other device manufacturers and within 5 years no one will use or miss the headphone jack. Move with the times.
    doozydozenlolliverfastasleepredgeminiparedraider11
  • Reply 11 of 59

The headphone jack does not deliver quality. Apple's internal DAC's aren't bad but they're not great either. Making this a quality argument is stupid and wrong. 
    doozydozenTurboPGTlolliverfastasleepredraider11
  • Reply 12 of 59
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

haha, cool story bro -- you'd supposedly leave a way better OS and ecosystem that you're surely invested in to buy an android phone, which will in time likely mimic these same design decisions (they always do. just look at all the new rose gold and gray metallic phones these days). right. 

also, being the audio guy you are, why no lightning cabled equipment? you're actually using mini phono jacks on all your living room units? and with all the moving around from room to room and car and gym, etc, I'm surprised you find the slightly better audio is worth the hassle vs just using a wireless solution for all but your most demanding uses. for me it sure ain't in the gym -- wireless headphones far outweigh somewhat better sound when I'm focused on a workout. phone stays in pocket, no wires to manage as I'm moving bars or using cardio equipment, etc. it's way, way easier. plus I only need to recharge once a week.

in any event, your use case is not mainstream. you're a fringe case. Apple doesn't build its product line around fringe cases. we'll all be sad to see you go. go luck with android and everything. 
    edited June 2016 williamlondondoozydozenroundaboutnowlolliverfastasleepredgeminiparedraider11
  • Reply 13 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    nolamacguy said:

in any event, your use case is not mainstream. you're a fringe case. 
    I'm going to make a wild guess that, right now, 99% of iPhone users, exclusively use the 3.5mm jack, at least for music.
    ZooMigodamonfdoozydozend.j. adequatecnocbuiwaverboy
  • Reply 14 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I don't think we can tell for sure from that photo that the camera bump will disappear. There is no lens in that opening right now. It easily could end up being the same as before with the stainless ring.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member

haha, cool story bro -- you'd supposedly leave a way better OS and ecosystem that you're surely invested in to buy an android phone, which will in time likely mimic these same design decisions (they always do. just look at all the new rose gold and gray metallic phones these days). right. 

also, being the audio guy you are, why no lightning cabled equipment? you're actually using mini phono jacks on all your living room units? and with all the moving around from room to room and car and gym, etc, I'm surprised you find the slightly better audio is worth the hassle vs just using a wireless solution for all but your most demanding uses. for me it sure ain't in the gym -- wireless headphones far outweigh somewhat better sound when I'm focused on a workout. phone stays in pocket, no wires to manage as I'm moving bars or using cardio equipment, etc. it's way, way easier. plus I only need to recharge once a week.

in any event, your use case is not mainstream. you're a fringe case. Apple doesn't build its product line around fringe cases. we'll all be sad to see you go. go luck with android and everything. 
    Bluetooth is out of the question, because of the poor audio quality and the need to recharge the batteries. The most likely scenario is that Apple will include an elbowed Lightning ear pods with built-in adapter to also plug in the charging Lightning cable. They had better also included a Lightning>Audio adapter also, for free, also with the capability to simultaneously plug in a charging Lightning cable. 
    However, if the reason for all of this is to just make the phone thinner, and keep the battery life the same as it is now, sorry, you've lost me. These phones do not need to be thinner. And the battery needs to be better. 
    ZooMigodamonfmobiuscnocbuiwaverboyHabi_tweet
  • Reply 16 of 59
    There's no way Apple could make the iPhone thinner, while keeping the headphone jack, without disrupting the antenna line on one side, or the screen glass on the other. The interesting thing is that this particular chassis leak doesn't look any thinner than the 6/6s. But whatever the motivation from Apple, I'm not going to cry over the lost headphone jack.* It just seems unnecessarily cumbersome, as well as redundant when there's another port that's perfectly capable of handling audio. As long as it ships with lightning headphones that I can use as backup for my bluetooth headphones (which, cumbersome or not, are the future, as Neil Cybart eloquently pointed out), I'll be happy. I'll also very much enjoy using the extra boost in speaker power. Also, and I think this is actually pretty significant, there are a lot of people that like to talk using the speakerphone (I do it more than I realized). There are even a lot of people that like to do this in public; it's not a typical "Apple Man" thing do do, but it's fairly common.**

*However, given people's reaction to the switch from the 30 pin to the lightning connector, there will be mass hysteria over this (as was hilariously forecasted by The Verge).
    **In many ways I am very much an "Apple Man" (and proud of it!) as I learned from this excellent article linked by Daring Fireball.
    edited June 2016 doozydozenlolliverredgeminiparedraider11
  • Reply 17 of 59
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    who keeps making these "alleged" phone shells? do you think they're 3-d printed then spray painted or is someone actually machining them out of metal?
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 18 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Will be very happy to patchythepirate said:
    There's no way Apple could make the iPhone thinner, while keeping the headphone jack, without disrupting the antenna line on one side, or the screen glass on the other. ...
    Way.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

AI_lias said:

Bluetooth is out of the question, because of the poor audio quality and the need to recharge the batteries. ...
    Don't forget - Bluetooth v5 devices will start to roll out later this year.
    The v5 spec promises "quadruple the range, double the speed, and an eight-fold increase in data broadcasting capacity".
    (According to Wikipedia anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_v5)

As for "the need to recharge the batteries," I think it could work like the Apple Pencil.
    Plug it into your iPhone for 20 seconds and get, say, 30 minutes more play time.
    The Apple Pencil gets 30 minutes more use when you plug it into your iPad Pro's Lightning connector for 15 seconds.
    Therefore I expect the Apple "Magic EarPods" to have a built-in Lightning plug like the Pencil does.
    edited June 2016 doozydozenroundaboutnowlolliverwilliamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 59
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

The headphone jack does not deliver quality. Apple's internal DAC's aren't bad but they're not great either. Making this a quality argument is stupid and wrong. 
    Doesn't exactly matter when most people play back MP3's does it. The quality improvement will be negligible and inaudible in the majority of cases. I don't believe people will give up the convenience of a headphone jack for slight sound improvement.

Most listening is done in relatively noisy environments too which further reduces any noticeable quality enhancements from a better DAC.
    doozydozenlolliverHabi_tweet