Supplier ASE says Apple 'conservative' on orders ahead of expected 'iPhone 7' launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has been a "little more conservative" when placing supplier orders in 2016, the COO of Advanced Semiconductor Engineering revealed on Tuesday.

"In the smartphone market, meanwhile, other players besides Apple are more aggressive regarding booking chips this year," Tien Wu added according to Nikkei. ASE is the world's biggest chip assembly and testing firm, and counts Apple as its largest client.

The executive suggested that the year's sales should improve quarter by quarter, while simultaneously refusing to speculate on whether orders in the second half of 2016 -- or the complete year -- would be stronger or weaker than those from the same timeframes in 2015. Nikkei earlier reported that Apple's Taiwanese suppliers, ASE among them, would receive smaller orders during 2H 2016.

Wu's comments support the view that Apple has been reining in iPhone orders in light of comparatively weak iPhone 6s/6s Plus sales. While the products are still Apple's main source of revenue, the company encountered its first year-over-year iPhone decline in the March quarter, and sales aren't expected to pick up until sometime after the launch of this fall's "iPhone 7."

Production of that device is already believed to be underway, which could mean that Apple is anticipating modest sales there too. Reports have indicated that the company is saving major upgrades until next year's iPhone, which could feature a curved OLED display with integrated camera and Touch ID components.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Maybe its about time for Mr. Cook to bow down and resign swiftly. This company is all about innovation and understanding the market. He is proving none of it.  
    edited June 2016 6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 2 of 23
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    If the camera in this year's phone is a significant upgrade, then I think that could drive purchases regardless of physical design issues. 

However.... removing the analog audio jack could dampen demand quite a bit unless they do it in a way that offers some pretty compelling benefits that exceed the costs of inconvenience from losing that jack. Personally, I hope they hold off on removing that jack until next year. It's better to do something like that when there are a whole bunch of positive new features being added to the product. 

People talk about removing the floppy drive on the iMac, but here's the thing -- the iMac never had a floppy drive. The iMac was an exciting new design for the Mac. They didn't just rip the floppy drive out of a PowerMac 7600. That's what they'd be doing if they take a 6s, remove the mini-jack, and not much else. 
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 3 of 23
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    blastdoor said:
    If the camera in this year's phone is a significant upgrade, then I think that could drive purchases regardless of physical design issues. 

However.... removing the analog audio jack could dampen demand quite a bit unless they do it in a way that offers some pretty compelling benefits that exceed the costs of inconvenience from losing that jack. Personally, I hope they hold off on removing that jack until next year. It's better to do something like that when there are a whole bunch of positive new features being added to the product. 

People talk about removing the floppy drive on the iMac, but here's the thing -- the iMac never had a floppy drive. The iMac was an exciting new design for the Mac. They didn't just rip the floppy drive out of a PowerMac 7600. That's what they'd be doing if they take a 6s, remove the mini-jack, and not much else. 
    This is a very sound and reasoned argument. I hadn't thought of it like that, but this is true. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 23
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I have no qualms about removing the headphone jack, but there is definitely a difference in removing it from an otherwise unchanging product, and building a whole new product without it.
    6SgoldfishRalph Askardamonf
  • Reply 5 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Maybe its about time for Mr. Cook to bow down and resign swiftly. This company is all about innovation and understanding the market. He is proving none of it.  
    What a completely witless remark. This is a claim from one parts supplier -- are you so dim that you imagine them to be a sole supplier? Cook has actually addressed your similarly short-sighted pundit crowd on this exact topic before, and said bluntly that one report from one supplier cannot provide an accurate view. Yet there you are. Come back and let us know what you've done in your life that has resulted in over $200B in the bank in the last four years. Or better yet, come back in a year and try to defend this post from the sales figures of the iPhone 7. My hope is that you'll learn something, but I'm probably overestimating you quite considerably.
    radarthekatericthehalfbeekevin keerob53fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 23
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    These claims about Apple "saving major upgrades" until next year doesn't make any sense. Apple often waits until a technology is mature enough and can be manufactured in the quantities they require, but they would never hold back on something that they could just as easily provide this year just for the sake of making next year's upgrade more significant. It is possible that this year's release will be viewed by some as not innovative enough, but that's pretty much always the case. But it seems unlikely to me that the 7 will be barely different from the 6s, given that they priced the SE (which is not very different from the 6s) at $400. If they're going to keep their ASPs up, there need to be compelling reasons to buy the pricier models. True, I haven't heard a lot of exciting rumors about the next model yet, but that's not necessarily indicative of a lackluster upcoming release.
    tmay
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    These claims about Apple "saving major upgrades" until next year doesn't make any sense. Apple often waits until a technology is mature enough and can be manufactured in the quantities they require, but they would never hold back on something that they could just as easily provide this year just for the sake of making next year's upgrade more significant. It is possible that this year's release will be viewed by some as not innovative enough, but that's pretty much always the case. But it seems unlikely to me that the 7 will be barely different from the 6s, given that they priced the SE (which is not very different from the 6s) at $400. If they're going to keep their ASPs up, there need to be compelling reasons to buy the pricier models. True, I haven't heard a lot of exciting rumors about the next model yet, but that's not necessarily indicative of a lackluster upcoming release.

I suspect that Apple will offer a compelling new service that will be best exploited by hardware in this year's new iPhone!

tmay
  • Reply 8 of 23
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    Maybe Apple is expecting low sales because the smartphone market is saturated.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Who told you to come here and post such drivel?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I'm ok with the headphone jack going away in the long term, it's inevitable. But it will cause me to hold my current phone longer than if it wasn't going away, because I don't want my high end headphones to be worthless...nor do I want to carry around an adapter. If others feel the same, upgrades might be slow. I also wouldn't want to upgrade until my Macbook Pro also did away with the headphone jack, as I don't want to carry two different headphones (one for my phone and one for my computer) with me.
    damonf
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Such a weak trolling attempt. That's just embarrassing.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    No matter what people says, Apple will reach 1 billion iPhones sold this year
  • Reply 13 of 23
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    schlack said:
    I'm ok with the headphone jack going away in the long term, it's inevitable. But it will cause me to hold my current phone longer than if it wasn't going away, because I don't want my high end headphones to be worthless...nor do I want to carry around an adapter. If others feel the same, upgrades might be slow. I also wouldn't want to upgrade until my Macbook Pro also did away with the headphone jack, as I don't want to carry two different headphones (one for my phone and one for my computer) with me.
    You dont have to carry around the adaptor any more than you have to carry around your headphone. You just plug it in on your headphone and leave it there..
  • Reply 14 of 23
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I'm not surprised. if rumours are to be believed no much will be changed in this version except the lack of headphone jack which I imagine might drive more than a few customers off
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    The one-post drive-by trolls wasted no time while waiting for mommy to bring down supper in their basement.
    mwhite
  • Reply 16 of 23
    iPhone 7 is going to flop like the SE. Wall Street is crying "sell your Apple stocks quick!!!!" Apple is DOOMED. /s Are maybe Apple doesn't need ASE because everything is just fine.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    blastdoor said:

"It's better to do something like that when there are a whole bunch of positive new features being added to the product. " Could not agree more...! Lets hope Apple has considered your sound logic....and there are features we are unaware of?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    schlack said:
    You dont have to carry around the adaptor any more than you have to carry around your headphone. You just plug it in on your headphone and leave it there..
    Yeah but if you have a shuffle to work out with and the same headphones you have to disconnect it.  I'm not saying he's right either way, but that is true.  So you can't just leave it plugged in to your headphones for the reason you may plug them in to something else that is a regular 3.5mm port.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    SylvainL said:

Apple only sold 230 million iPhones last year.

So... you might be disappointed...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    SylvainL said:

Apple only sold 230 million iPhones last year.

So... you might be disappointed...
    I meant from 2007 to 2016... 950 millions iPhone sold