Inside tvOS 10: New Apple TV Remote app for iPhone replaces your Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Alongside the forthcoming tvOS 10 update for the fourth-generation Apple TV, Apple will also be releasing an all-new Remote app for iOS that will replicate the functionality of the Siri Remote in almost every way.

Both tvOS 10 and the new Apple TV Remote app are available to registered developers for beta testing. Rather than a simple upgrade of the existing Remote app for iOS, the update appears to be a complete revamp.

Upon launching the beta, users are presented with a plain screen that includes a button to "Add Apple TV." Pressing it will automatically search the local Wi-Fi network for a nearby device.

Pairing is as simple as tapping on the desired Apple TV, then entering a four-digit code in the iPhone app after it is displayed on the TV screen.

Once connected, the new Remote app works largely the same as the Siri Remote. The top of the display is used as a trackpad for navigation, allowing a user to move and scroll by swiping their thumb.

Quickly tapping on the trackpad portion will select an item, or users can utilize the force sensing 3D Touch display of the iPhone 6s for a haptic feedback when pressing firmly to select.

At the bottom, the new Remote app includes a large Menu button for navigating back, as well as the dedicated Home button in the bottom right corner. To the left is a play/pause button, and in the center is a Siri button that must be held down in order to speak queries to the fourth-generation Apple TV.

The new Remote app replicates all of the functionality of the Siri Remote with one key omission -- volume control. While the Siri Remote has dedicated volume buttons and infrared blaster to work with legacy devices, the iPhone lacks an IR blaster to adjust the volume on a receiver, TV set or soundbar.

The Remote app for iOS does offer one thing that the Siri Remote cannot, however --?a new "Now Playing" button is located in the upper right corner. When listening to music, users can tap on this to view the artist and album art for the current track, and see more advanced navigation controls for skipping back and forward.

It should be noted that in its current incarnation, there does not appear to be a way for the Remote app to access other types of devices, such as iTunes music playback controls from a nearby Mac or Windows PC. Those functions are, of course, still available in the existing Remote app, which remains a free download on the App Store.

Both tvOS and the new Remote app are scheduled to launch this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This just tells me the Siri Remote was a failure.

so much potential....
  • Reply 2 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Will the Siri Remote app work with ATV3? Let me guess, it won't even support dictation on non-ATV4's?
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 3 of 17
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    ireland said:
    Will the Siri Remote app work with ATV3? Let me guess, it won't even support dictation on non-ATV4's?
    Why would you think the Siri would work on ATV3? That's a dead device. While we find it still useful, Apple has made it clear they've moved on. 
    lolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    supadav03 said:
    ireland said:
    Why would you think the Siri would work on ATV3? That's a dead device. While we find it still useful, Apple has made it clear they've moved on. 
    Well, they still sell the ATV3, so not quite dead yet. It might be technically possible to at least allow a Siri speech to text function for ATV3. I'm assuming the Remote app will still work with ATV3, so why not? It would be a nice gesture to get a little extra functionality on an older device.
    ireland
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jddcjddc Posts: 10member
    cali said:

so much potential....
    remote wasn't a failure.. it only makes sense to have an iOS app to duplicate the features and act as a replacement remote
    edited June 2016 TurboPGTkevin keelolliverequality72521
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Dang no volume? That's really a bummer because my Apple TV uses HDMI-CEC to control my sound system and I LOVE it!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    cali said:

so much potential....
    The fuck are you talking about? This brings parity to the physical remote.
    edited June 2016 lolliverwilliamlondonequality72521
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Dang no volume? That's really a bummer because my Apple TV uses HDMI-CEC to control my sound system and I LOVE it!
    I use my marantz app to control TV and audio volume from my phone. So when running Apple Music on the Apple TV I control volume from my phone anyhow.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I see no reason why Apple can't implement the volume control on iDevice remote if it's just a matter of writing a subroutine to control the volume of speaker through AppleTV (HDMI) interface. Perhaps there are other obstacles I am unaware of?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Missed opportunity.  tvOS Apps should have remote extensions hosted by the remote app or Watch. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Until they fix the problem of having to login to your iPhone every time you want to use it as a remote, it's more a nuisance than a solution.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    TurboPGT said:
    cali said:

so much potential....
    The fuck are you talking about? This brings parity to the physical remote.
    Who wants parity with a POS physical remote?

Siri, play "I want you back" by the Hoodoo Gurus.

Sorry, I can't help you with music.

So, I get to scroll through 40k songs to get to the one I want. With no fast, continuous scrolling like the old remote. Keep flicking thumb on the remote  over and over and over. Not even an alphabetic side bar so I can hop to a certain letter.

It's fucking pathetic. It's so bad that when listening to music on ATV4 that I use my ATV3 remote, or just play music streamed from my iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Siri Remote is an excellent alternative to letting my young children use my phone to play with ATV.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    launfall said:
    Until they fix the problem of having to login to your iPhone every time you want to use it as a remote, it's more a nuisance than a solution.

I have an ATV3, and occasionally use the remote app for that, and I agree with this comment wholeheartedly.

However, since installing my Harmony hub, I've mostly eschewed the use of both the Remote app, and the physical remotes as well.  The Harmony app, as well as the Harmony remote, work quite well, controlling my receiver, ATV and TV seamlessly.  Don't know why I waited so long.

• Reply 15 of 17
    AlissaAlissa Posts: 1member
    many ideas are already for a long time implemented in CiderTV remote for Apple TV
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I like my AppleTV 4. There are several things I use it for routinely, and given it's value in those areas, I think the price was right.

However, I've never gotten to like the remote. One thing I hardly ever use is Siri. The only time I use that feature is the nifty "what did s/he say?" function. Boy, would I like that always on my AppleWatch.

The new coming iOS remote app is a step in the right direction for ATV to fulfill its potential. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 17

I have had a Apple TV (4th gen)  for about 6 months and the big disappointment is the flakey Seri Remote. Not only does it not work well , ts a $79 device that breaks way too easily and then Apple will not warrantee it. My Seri Remote stopped working after I dropped it (from less that 24"), which took a little chip out the corner of the track pad. I went out and spent $20 on a Griffin protective case, before I noticed that Seri Remote feature was not working. I took in to the Genius Bar and they told me because it had a little chip in the corner of the track pad, that voids all the other warranties and they offered to sell me a new one for $59. I declined, because this is total BS. It’s bad enough they put out a poorly designed product that breaks if you look at it the wrong way, but then not to warrantee a non functioning Seri microphone when it has nothing to do with the the glass track pad, really steamed me. Frankly, after purchasing over 25 major Apple products over the years, this latest Apple TV is not only the worst Apple product I have ever purchased (yes, the software sucks too), but also this was the worst customer service I have ever received from Apple. Some how I am currently very unexcited about upgrading to iPhone 7 or the Apple Watch 2. Not to mention holding their stock. Coming out with an I phone app is a poor fix for screwing thousands of (4th Gen) ATV purchasers, by not supporting their over priced $79 remote we all we forced to buy when we doled out $129 or $149 for our Apple TV's. Judging from many other post across the web, this is a problem that affects a lot of users. The fact they can't make good a bad product is a bad sign for the future of Apple.

edited July 2016