Alleged 'iPhone 7' chassis shows symmetrical speakers, lacks 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Shocking! Not! I noted the asymmetry ten days ago and the pairing of a speaker and microphone will happen with the 3.5mm jack removal. It's just logical.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I have some LG Bluetooth headphones that are really nice. But the sound from my wired headphones is so much better. That's the real bummer about going BT only. I'll bet any money though that the new iPhone won't ship with BT earbuds. That will be something Schiller tries to upsell people on.
    doozydozentallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 59
    sockrolid said:
    Will be very happy to patchythepirate said:
    There's no way Apple could make the iPhone thinner, while keeping the headphone jack, without disrupting the antenna line on one side, or the screen glass on the other. ...
    Way.
    Care to elaborate? Looks like pretty slim margins on either side of the current headphone jack to me. And even if they are able to manage it there will have to be a complete break in the aluminum band that wraps around the bottom, which will cause structural issues.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    romanmarromanmar Posts: 32member
    I definitely don't want a headphone port, I'm looking forward to lightning headphones with noise cancellation, like the JBL ReflectAware , but hopefully from Bose instead. Bluetooth does not work for me, I hate charging another device.
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 59
    tjwolf said:
    Is it just me or does the lightning port look crooked (left side higher than right) and the left holes are bigger than the ones on the right?  Sure looks like a fake to me.
    derp derp derp
  • Reply 26 of 59
    xclntgigxclntgig Posts: 16member
    Or maybe it was just moved it to the top of chassis instead of the bottom. :wink: 
    edited June 2016 doozydozenaylkwilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    volcan said:
    nolamacguy said:

in any event, your use case is not mainstream. you're a fringe case. 
    I'm going to make a wild guess that, right now, 99% of iPhone users, exclusively use the 3.5mm jack, at least for music.
    You'd be wrong.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/10/we.took.a.few.hours.on.saturday.to.ask.apple.shoppers.what.they.thought.131986
    redgeminiparedraider11
  • Reply 28 of 59
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    volcan said:
    nolamacguy said:

in any event, your use case is not mainstream. you're a fringe case. 
    I'm going to make a wild guess that, right now, 99% of iPhone users, exclusively use the 3.5mm jack, at least for music.
    I'll make the same wild guess that 99% of those users, also use whatever headphones ship with the iPhone.

Problem solved.
    redraider11
  • Reply 29 of 59

Disappointing if true,  The headphone jack is one of the most important features to me.... Way more important than the camera...  I use it hours every day in multiple locations, connected to different devices (car stereo, large quality headphones I keep at work, small ear buds I use for working out, and multiple home stereos depending on what room I am in). 

No other audio interface will suffice,  I am not willing to sacrifice the quality & convenience of a traditional headphone jack, I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to buy several dongles or spend hundreds of dollars to change my audio equipment,  And I am not willing to carry a dongle with me at all times. 

Its a simple, ubiquitous, quality, standard, with no peer.   Its not like the floppy disk, its not like fire wire.

So if these rumors are, true my next phone will be an android.

For how long? Once Apple drop the headphone jack it'll become more and more prevalent amongst other device manufacturers and within 5 years no one will use or miss the headphone jack. Move with the times.
    Apple wouldn't do this unless the competition were in the same position as they are -- they're running out of room inside the flagship phones to continue adding new features. The Phablet allowed them all some extra breathing room, but now they're getting squeezed. The headphone jack is a particularly large piece of hardware. And since it's redundant the most obvious thing to go. 

So initially, Android will probably try to capitalize on this move to sell 3.5mm headphone jacks to Apple customers who jump ship, but they will likely drop the headphone jack on their flagships within the year, or risk falling behind Apple's growing list of features -- without making their phones even larger that is. So in  couple of years, only giant phones will have headphone jacks, or lower-end phones with fewer features will. And people will have to chose how important that headphone jack is for them. When the "7" comes out, the SE, 6 & 6s will still have a headphone jack after all, so Apple will continue to make phones with one for three more years. So there's no need for mass panic. 

But I have to say, if this second grille turns out to be real, and Apple is really putting a second speaker in there and not just adding it for the microphone and cosmetic affect, I'll be really upset with Apple -- since it doesn't make any sense to create all this controversy and inconvenience over the headphone jack removal before they have to. And the last thing the iPhone needs for a better user experience is a second speaker on the same end of the phone as the existing one. 
    aylk
  • Reply 30 of 59
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    mac_128 said:

For how long? Once Apple drop the headphone jack it'll become more and more prevalent amongst other device manufacturers and within 5 years no one will use or miss the headphone jack. Move with the times.
    Apple wouldn't do this unless the competition...
    Any sentence that starts like that is fundamentally wrong. If you know Apple, you know just how wrong that is.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 31 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mac_128 said:
    volcan said:
    You'd be wrong.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/10/we.took.a.few.hours.on.saturday.to.ask.apple.shoppers.what.they.thought.131986
    You need to improve your reading comprehension skills.

Reread my comment and then go read the article. I said 'right now', the article says when/if Apple removes the jack would people be affected. Obviously, when Apple ships a device with no jack they will provide an earbud solution. But surveying random users in a mall who were not really given much time to think it through may change their mind later when they discover that they do indeed have incompatibility issues. That said, no one likes dongles and perhaps the 1% of the users like me, might have high end noise cancelling headphones with 3.5mm jacks. Replace them, not great, use a dongle, not great either. 

I remember the very first iPhone needed a dongle because they put the jack on the curved edge and made it so only the Apple earbuds would work. That was annoying as hell back then.
    edited June 2016 aylk
  • Reply 32 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mac_128 said:

Apple wouldn't do this unless the competition were in the same position as they are
    Several high end headphones have USB connection in addition to a 3.5mm cable. There are a handful of Lightning high end models also. Eventually they can get rid of 3.5mm audio but the standard should probably switch to USB, however having a 3.5mm jack in addition is a nice transition solution. It is just my opinion that the iPhone doesn't need to be any thinner and should keep the 3.5mm jack. Personally I'd like to see them ditch the Lightning port instead and go with USB-C reversible.
    edited June 2016 cropr
  • Reply 33 of 59
    volcan said:
    mac_128 said:
    You need to improve your reading comprehension skills.

Reread my comment and then go read the article. I said 'right now', the article says when/if Apple removes the jack would people be affected. Obviously, when Apple ships a device with no jack they will provide an earbud solution. But surveying random users in a mall who were not really given much time to think it through may change their mind later when they discover that they do indeed have incompatibility issues. That said, no one likes dongles and perhaps the 1% of the users like me, might have high end noise cancelling headphones with 3.5mm jacks. Replace them, not great, use a dongle, not great either. 

I remember the very first iPhone needed a dongle because they put the jack on the curved edge and made it so only the Apple earbuds would work. That was annoying as hell back then.
    The very first iPhone required a dongle that only changed the shape of the plug, and nothing else. 

Regardless, they weren't random people in a Mall, they were Apple Store customers. 1,000 of them, which is a pretty good sample. Sure some might change their mind, but there's a lot of minds to be changed to get to 99%.

And where did you get that number? Did you mean 99% of iPhone customers who use headphones with their iPhone? And even limiting the hyperbole I wouldn't accept that number even as a "wild guess". There are plenty of customers who never use the headphone jack, some who only occasionally use it, some who use both wireless and wired, and some who use wireless exclusively. There are probably even a small percentage of those who are actually using what few Lightning headphones there are available. So you didn't like my study -- well then, show me any study that backs up your guess. I'm simply not convinced the average Apple user is going to care one way or the other, especially if Apple gives them a set of Lightning earbuds in the box. But now I'm guessing -- oh wait, no I'm not, I have an informal study performed on 1,000 Apple customers, what are you basing yours on?

• Reply 34 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    There's no way Apple could make the iPhone thinner, while keeping the headphone jack, without disrupting the antenna line on one side, or the screen glass on the other. The interesting thing is that this particular chassis leak doesn't look any thinner than the 6/6s. But whatever the motivation from Apple, I'm not going to cry over the lost headphone jack.* It just seems unnecessarily cumbersome, as well as redundant when there's another port that's perfectly capable of handling audio. As long as it ships with lightning headphones that I can use as backup for my bluetooth headphones (which, cumbersome or not, are the future, as Neil Cybart eloquently pointed out), I'll be happy. I'll also very much enjoy using the extra boost in speaker power. Also, and I think this is actually pretty significant, there are a lot of people that like to talk using the speakerphone (I do it more than I realized). There are even a lot of people that like to do this in public; it's not a typical "Apple Man" thing do do, but it's fairly common.**

*However, given people's reaction to the switch from the 30 pin to the lightning connector, there will be mass hysteria over this (as was hilariously forecasted by The Verge).
    **In many ways I am very much an "Apple Man" (and proud of it!) as I learned from this excellent article linked by Daring Fireball.
    Except a plethora of thinner Android phones which still have headphone jacks and antennas would show you to be wrong.
    aylk
  • Reply 35 of 59
    cnocbui said:
    There's no way Apple could make the iPhone thinner, while keeping the headphone jack, without disrupting the antenna line on one side, or the screen glass on the other. The interesting thing is that this particular chassis leak doesn't look any thinner than the 6/6s. But whatever the motivation from Apple, I'm not going to cry over the lost headphone jack.* It just seems unnecessarily cumbersome, as well as redundant when there's another port that's perfectly capable of handling audio. As long as it ships with lightning headphones that I can use as backup for my bluetooth headphones (which, cumbersome or not, are the future, as Neil Cybart eloquently pointed out), I'll be happy. I'll also very much enjoy using the extra boost in speaker power. Also, and I think this is actually pretty significant, there are a lot of people that like to talk using the speakerphone (I do it more than I realized). There are even a lot of people that like to do this in public; it's not a typical "Apple Man" thing do do, but it's fairly common.**

*However, given people's reaction to the switch from the 30 pin to the lightning connector, there will be mass hysteria over this (as was hilariously forecasted by The Verge).
    **In many ways I am very much an "Apple Man" (and proud of it!) as I learned from this excellent article linked by Daring Fireball.
    Except a plethora of thinner Android phones which still have headphone jacks and antennas would show you to be wrong.
    And is every one of them equitable feature for feature, with the exact same performance and battery life? Is even one the qual to the iPhone 6s in every respect? 
    patchythepiratewilliamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 36 of 59
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Can't remember the last time I used the headphone jack on any device.  Bluetooth headphones and wireless streaming on everything these days.  Even the car connects with Bluetooth or USB.  One less port to collect dirt and fluff.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 37 of 59
    cnocbui said:

Wrong about what? I don't remember talking about android phones, nor did I say it's not possible for any phone. (I was clearly talking about the iPhone, and specifically about the 6/6/s-like design widely expected from the new iPhone.) But you just couldn't resist the urge to troll, it seems. Not surprising.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Disappointing if true,  The headphone jack is one of the most important features to me.... Way more important than the camera...  I use it hours every day in multiple locations, connected to different devices (car stereo, large quality headphones I keep at work, small ear buds I use for working out, and multiple home stereos depending on what room I am in). 

No other audio interface will suffice,  I am not willing to sacrifice the quality & convenience of a traditional headphone jack, I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to buy several dongles or spend hundreds of dollars to change my audio equipment,  And I am not willing to carry a dongle with me at all times. 

Its a simple, ubiquitous, quality, standard, with no peer.   Its not like the floppy disk, its not like fire wire.

So if these rumors are, true my next phone will be an android.

I have no idea what android device you would buy, but you can be sure that Samsung (and probably most other manufacturers) will announce they are dropping the headphone jack about 5 minutes after the iPhone is announced and is shown without one.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 39 of 59
    ophelloophello Posts: 11member
    tjwolf said:
    Is it just me or does the lightning port look crooked (left side higher than right) and the left holes are bigger than the ones on the right?  Sure looks like a fake to me.
    It's called "perspective." The left side is tilted towards the camera and the camera has a high angle field of view. Why the hell would someone who went to all the trouble to make a perfect fake like this somehow fuck up the holes that badly?
  • Reply 40 of 59
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Interesting article although I failed to see the authenticity of the leak photos. Either way, I have no problems whatsoever with the bigger lens and the lack of headphone jack. Progression have to be made, there is no right choice. This will push Bluetooth technology if nothing else. For the repeating question of 'is it necessary to remove the headphone jack', I personally would say 'not yet'. But then again Apple has their own reason and still people already forget about the 30-pin charger. Apple will take the first step towards 'cordless' future, and it will be painful and ridiculed, but that's why I admire their decision.
    redgeminipapatchythepirate