Florida man sues Apple for over $10B, claiming violation of 1992 'reading device' concept

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    sfobear said:
    Star Trek was way earlier!  ;)
    Or 2001... :)

I like how you'd have to fold a 3 1/2" floppy into thirds to insert it into the diskette drive. There really is some advanced, ah, engineering, in these drawings. 
    Same for the 80GB HD :)
  • Reply 22 of 54
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    feaco said:
    I wonder if he graduated from Trump University. His claims appear to be similar to things Donald has said.
    If you're going to make a partisan joke, at least save it for when it works.  This is a patent dispute issue.  Maybe save Donny Jingles for the encryption and manufacturing threads.  

But remember, you're also walking a fine line because Cankles is so wrong with technology that she committed treason.  That's just as retarded as Trump, but a lot heavier.
    indyfxSpamSandwichred oakcornchipsirlance99
  • Reply 23 of 54
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    meh, obviously this guy is fishing...probably will be more than happy to run away with $500K after claiming he needs $10B.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Kindle? Android devices? Surface? or.. even Samsung's new foldable smartphone is more in trouble.. because it resembles more directly.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Dave74Dave74 Posts: 2member
    Can't wait for Davinci's relatives to sue Boeing and Lockheed "but he had a picture of a concept of a flying machine" 

bet he's really kicking himself that he didn't pay that filing fee..

is is he going to sue Disney/Pixar for using a "similar" item in The Incredibles.. 

Even funnier is the lawyer that is taking this seriously.. Cuz 10Bil is totally fair for a guy and his Un-prototyped drawing.... Lol
    edited June 2016 baconstangchia
  • Reply 26 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The complaint calls for a jury trial, but if the case isn't dismissed outright Apple will likely settle out of court for a small fraction of the demanded money.
    Which is exactly what the man is hoping for.
    cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Top five countdown:

5. So this is the reason Apple was forced to remove the 3.5" floppy drive from its products.

4. "Your left hand is for dialing, your right hand is for typing."
         - FloridaMan Reading Device instruction manual

3. D'oh (interjection):  when you purchased the optional cellular antenna, but not the optional microphone.

2. After a thorough examination of the three illustrations by its legal team, Microsoft remains the only entity with a patent on an electronic reading device kickstand.

and the number one joke...

1. Happy Days creator Garry Marshall sues FloridaMan, claiming infringement of Jump The Shark copyright.
    edited June 2016 baconstangchiajbishop1039ai46
  • Reply 28 of 54
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    bdkennedy said:
    This guy has been sniffing the bath salts.
    My theory is this: It took him 20 years to find an attorney who was sniffing the same brand of salts.
    It's all in the headline... "Florida man..."
  • Reply 29 of 54
    "...but if the case isn't dismissed outright Apple will likely settle out of court for a small fraction of the demanded money." Seriously? A small fraction of $10bn is still a chunk of change! Apple should "settle" for zero, zip, nada. Don't encourage these idiotic a***holes. In fact he should be lucky they don't countersue and bankrupt him. (I know, bad PR for big corp tromping on little guy). Ok, ok. If they're feeling generous, or just because everyone at 1 Infinite Loop laughed at this till their bellies ached, they could throw him a bone by giving him an iPhone as settlement.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    He should be suing the creators of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  They totally stole his "design" in an episode where Master Shake gets a modular PDA.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    flyingdp said:
    "...but if the case isn't dismissed outright Apple will likely settle out of court for a small fraction of the demanded money." Seriously? A small fraction of $10bn is still a chunk of change! Apple should "settle" for zero, zip, nada. Don't encourage these idiotic a***holes. In fact he should be lucky they don't countersue and bankrupt him. (I know, bad PR for big corp tromping on little guy). Ok, ok. If they're feeling generous, or just because everyone at 1 Infinite Loop laughed at this till their bellies ached, they could throw him a bone by giving him an iPhone as settlement.
    --------

Flip the guy $5k for the original illustrations. Then frame them and present them to Apple's legal team next April 1st.

• Reply 32 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "No problem sir. Your $10 billion check is in the mail!"
    cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Amazing, this is AppleInsider and when I Quote & Reply using my iPad I can't type outside the quoted text; can't get the insertion point to focus outside the blockquote tag.  Could someone at AppleInsider try using these forums on an iPad?  Very frustrating.

this is the reason you always see me adding 

-------

to separate my comments from the comment I'm responding to.  See Reply 31 in this thread.
    justadcomics
  • Reply 34 of 54
    lewklewk Posts: 25member
    Looks to me like he copied a lot from Apple's Knowledge Navigator. They did this video in 1987, 5 years before he copied it:
    cornchipjustadcomics
  • Reply 35 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    sfobear said:

I like how you'd have to fold a 3 1/2" floppy into thirds to insert it into the diskette drive. There really is some advanced, ah, engineering, in these drawings. 
    THis man is ahead of his time...
    Still what another 5 years at least till everything shown could be implemented.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Lawyers who agree to handle crap like this should be tortured with horrible physical pain and hydrochloric acid for an extended period of time before their wish to die is granted.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    looks more like that blackberry. or rather, two of them glued together
  • Reply 38 of 54
    ophelloophello Posts: 11member
    What a moron.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    ophelloophello Posts: 11member
    cali said:
    So Apple copied this but android is %100 original....
    Um...you put the percent after the number. 100% of the time. You only do it the other way with currency.
    ai46
  • Reply 40 of 54
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    sfobear said:

I have done quite a lot of sketches myself, similar to the image, when I was still at high school. It's easy to do that since imagination is only your limit. The difference was I never submitted my "technical" drawings to any patent application. Maybe I should.
    cornchipradarthekat