New photos show possible Lightning-equipped EarPods for Apple's 'iPhone 7'

Posted:
in iPhone
A pair of photos published on Wednesday show what are claimed to be Lightning-ready versions of the EarPods bundled with iPhones, presumably intended for Apple's "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus."

The images were posted to Chinese blogging site Weibo, often a source of leaks within Apple's supply chain, and highlighted by iPhone7.nl. Apart from the presence of a flat, elongated Lightning connector, the headphones are similar to the EarPods bundled with the iPhone 6s, including an inline remote.

The authenticity of the gear is difficult to determine, but would fall in line with expectations that Apple is planning to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the "iPhone 7" line, forcing buyers to use either Lightning or Bluetooth for external audio. Earlier today, Apple supplier Cirrus Logic unveiled an authorized Lightning headphone development kit.

Using Lightning would enable higher-quality sound, but also render many headphones, speakers, and other 3.5mm accessories useless, at least without an adapter. Apple could potentially include one with new iPhones to ease the transition.

The "iPhone 7" is expected to arrive this fall, most likely in Apple's normal September launch window. Upgrades should focus primarily on speed, capacity, and camera technology, though the bigger 5.5-inch model might also include an iPad Pro-style Smart Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Apparently the new tip hovers in mid air too.
    davenxmhillxmobiusxzuretrogusto
  • Reply 2 of 48
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    Looking forward to the future when instead of all wired headphones having the same standardized jack that works in all audio devices, we now have segregated wired headphones that have different connectors that only work in their respective ecosystems /s
    why-irelandlord amhrand.j. adequateaylk
  • Reply 3 of 48
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Looking forward to the future when instead of all wired headphones having the same standardized jack that works in all audio devices, we now have segregated wired headphones that have different connectors that only work in their respective ecosystems /s
    I think the future you want is coming, but it won't be wired at all - it's going to be wireless.  Frankly, the fact that we're not already there yet is surprising, especially considering how many wireless speakers are on the market.  It's like manufacturers just dropped the ball on pushing through problems (battery life, size, connectivity, price and sound quality) with but a handful of options to really chose from in BT headphones.
    nolamacguytrashman69williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Doesn't seem to have the usual rubber strain relief following the plastic connector housing like most Apple cables seem to have. 
    xmhillxlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 48
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    TurboPGT said:
    Funny! I noticed that too.

That said, I rarely use the headphone jack and don't have a problem with losing the universal Jack and getting a new pair of ear buds with a new phone. I don't see why this is so upsetting to many people especially if an adapter becomes available. It would be a nice market for a case maker to make a case where the bottom is extended by a little and the case includes the electronics to extend the Lightning port while also giving the buyer a standard headphone jack along an edge of the case. They could also offer a battery to extend the times between recharging. I wouldn't buy one but there may be a market for a case like that.
    xmhillxlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 48
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    TurboPGT said:

It is an illusion caused by the glass on the table top. You can tell from the reflections that there is glass over the woodgrain.
    nolamacguywhy-irelandlolliverfoljsbonobob[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think this is a cheap experimental knockoff. That connector's the size of a small moon. If Apple churns out something like that then they've seriously lost the plot. 

• Reply 8 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't buy the "higher quality sound" argument.

Those Apple earbuds are not exactly super expensive, high quality earphones to begin with. Lightning connector or not will have virtually no impact on the sound quality.

And people won't be able to charge their devices while using headphones now? That seems kind of stupid.

We still need to hear more details about this, but I remain suspicious of this, and it seems like there are more disadvantages than any advantages.
    techguy911aylkbonobob6Sgoldfishspliff monkey
  • Reply 9 of 48
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    looks plausible
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 48
    zotobrezotobre Posts: 1member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't buy the "higher quality sound" argument.

And people won't be able to charge their devices while using headphones now? That seems kind of stupid.

I agree, can't use the headphone port while changing. A crippling design change to what end? how does that improve the iPhone experience? 
    apple ][spliff monkey
  • Reply 11 of 48
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

The connector looks completely different to the connector on the Apple Lightning cable, or the audio jack on the Apple Ear Pods for that matter. Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't genuine, but it's lacking key elements of Apple's current cable design.

I don't know if Apple's planning to ditch the 3.5mm jack, it's not implausible, but I don't think this specific unit is something they would ship.

• Reply 12 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    TurboPGT said:
    On a glass-covered table everything hovers in mid-air.
    lolliver6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I think the future you want is coming, but it won't be wired at all - it's going to be wireless.  Frankly, the fact that we're not already there yet is surprising, especially considering how many wireless speakers are on the market.
    I love wired headphones as they never require charging, can never run out of a charge and to a certain quality of manufacturing standard they will be better value at checkout. You'd be surprised the % of folks who like wired headphones for these reasons.
    edited June 2016 spliff monkey
  • Reply 14 of 48

Doesn't seem to have the usual rubber strain relief following the plastic connector housing like most Apple cables seem to have. 
    Could be internal to that housing.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This looks like a 3rd party knock off.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Frankly, the fact that we're not already there yet is surprising, especially considering how many wireless speakers are on the market.  
    It's not surprising to me, because the majority of wireless is still inferior to wired.

Wireless is obviously more convenient, since there are no wires, but wireless still has one big issue, and that is latency. High latency is pure crap and absolutely terrible. I'll choose wired over wireless any day, if the wireless has latency. :#

spliff monkey
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think this is a cheap experimental knockoff. That connector's the size of a small moon. If Apple churns out something like that then they've seriously lost the plot. 
    I decent DAC at the Lightning port end would be about that size of it was made by Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Sweet. Sounds like "Apple supplier Cirrus Logic" manufactures the official EarPods for Apple? Or are they a supplier of another component, technically making them an Apple supplier, and seem to be making their own knock-off of headphones in anticipation of an iPhone without the 3.5mm jack?

Either way. This makes me feel better. More evidence Apple is moving away from 3.5mm; works for me. I'm in the Apple ecosystem.

I'd be very surprised and shocked if Apple:
    - didn't included lightning EarPods
    - or included the standard 3.5mm EarPods (because they didn't release any Lightning EarPods at all), and not include an adapter for lightning
    - or not include anything with the phone. Actually release lightning EarPods, but not include them or the 3.5mm EarPods, and also not include an adapter; and screwed people over by expecting them to buy either one

I use Apple's EarPods and Jaybird X2 bluetooth earphones. If Apple ships lightning EarPods with their phone, then I'm covered. For me, no real inconvenience or I'll need to buy an adapter if they don't include lightning EarPods. If there's a kool benefit for removing the 3.5mm port, freeing up internal space, then that sounds intriguing. 
    edited June 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 48
    TurboPGT said:
    It's sitting on a glass table which is standing on a wood floor. At first glance it does look like it's floating on a wood table, but it's not.
    xmhillx
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Would this mean that you can't charge the phone AND have ear/head phones plugged in at the same time? When is Apple going to stop restricting usefulness for the sake of one less millimeter in thinness? The phone is thin enough. I don't hear ANYONE saying I'm not going to buy the phone because it's too darn thick. UGH!!
    d.j. adequateaylk