Renderings of Space Black 'iPhone 7' has hints of rumored dark Space Gray option

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Ahead of an expected next-generation iPhone release this fall, graphic designer Martin Hajek ran with the latest rumor and speculation to create a detailed rendering sans headphone jack, with "Force Touch ID" and clad in a Space Black finish.

Source: Martin Hajek

Posted to Hajek's website on Thursday, the new renderings provide a first look at what could be a close approximation to Apple's next-generation iPhone. Apple is not rumored to launch a Space Black "iPhone 7," but recent reports suggest a darker Space Gray specification is in the cards.

Following the traditional white/black color scheme seen on early iPhone models, Space Gray was introduced as a color option for the aluminum body iPhone 5s in 2013. The original iteration was a take on classic gunmetal with a hue somewhere between black and metallic silver.

The darker variant has since landed on all iOS devices and was last year extended to Mac buyers with the 12-inch MacBook. Despite carrying the same name across Apple's product offerings, Space Gray is far from uniform. The color's tone even changed between iPhone generations.

Apple might again modify Space Gray with "iPhone 7," as reports earlier in June claim the designation will be "much darker" in color, likely bordering on black. Citing supply chain sources, Japanese website Mac Otakara initially claimed Apple would ditch Space Gray altogether in favor of a dark blue colorway. The publication later clarified, saying people who saw the new Space Gray hue mistook it for a shade of blue.

Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation handset this fall alongside iOS 10. Rumors and parts leaks suggest no major aesthetic changes, though the smartphone is thought to feature redesigned antenna windows and a larger hole to accommodate an upgraded camera. Apple is also rumored to nix iPhone's 3.5mm headphone jack and implement a touch sensitive "Force Touch ID" home button, though reports conflict as to whether those changes will arrive this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    but i want blue! look what you've done to me!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Now that I'm seeing it rendered, those renderings make the larger camera opening look quite attractive.  
    ksec
  • Reply 3 of 18
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    That design plus AMOLED would be exquisite
  • Reply 4 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Prediction:

(one I would love to be correct about)

If this year's iPhone moves to a Force Touch home button with a home area marked in the middle as this and other previous posts have suggested, the area is the middle is reserved for Touch ID functionality, but it and the whole rest of the chin work as the home button.

Intuitively, the marked area in the middle has both functions whereas the additional home button functionality is only discovered by those looking for it. I'm sure there could be usability concerns for people accidentally pressing it, but I'm sure there are answers. I think this it's interesting though. And clearly a Force Touch home would be an improvement ditching that point of potential mechanical failure.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Chicken, am I right?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    BLUE!
    <grin> 
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Enough! iPhone 7. Why not have articles about the iPhone 10 or 11 or 12?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Damn.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    I'd hit that.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Yes. Murdered-out matte black please. My cash is waiting.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    alexmacalexmac Posts: 49member
    Scuff gate solved? With anodized aluminum is not easy at all to sort this out. We'll see...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Oooooo. Now seeing it rendered in those colors and without the antenna bands, it looks amazing. Love the space black. Blue's ok too. I'd be pumped about getting the space black for sure. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 13 of 18
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I don't understand why AI would even bother posting this and I can't believe posters are reacting to it as if it's the next iPhone from Apple.   This is one person's conception of what it might look like or could look like, but that's all it is.   It has absolutely nothing to do with reality other than the fact that if Apple is keeping the metal case, there's only so many ways they can go.   It doesn't even rise to the level of rumor since it has nothing to do with Apple - it's not a "leaked" image of a purported case, etc.

bobcubsfan
  • Reply 14 of 18
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    zoetmb said:
    I don't understand why AI would even bother posting this and I can't believe posters are reacting to it as if it's the next iPhone from Apple.   This is one person's conception of what it might look like or could look like, but that's all it is.   It has absolutely nothing to do with reality other than the fact that if Apple is keeping the metal case, there's only so many ways they can go.   It doesn't even rise to the level of rumor since it has nothing to do with Apple - it's not a "leaked" image of a purported case, etc.

Yes, dude. I know. Looks like other people know, their comments read like they know what you say in your comment. Phrases like "would be exquisite, would get, I would be pumped."
    The article says it clearly. People, for sure I am, are expressing how this report being true would look great in theory based off the artist's rendering. Chill. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 15 of 18
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    YAWN!  I was MUCH more excited about this dark blue option instead!  Hope that comes to be as well!  
  • Reply 16 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That blue render is super nice, I hope the initial rumour was true and that the render is close.

Blue has always been my choice of case, would be nice if the phone matched.
    edited July 2016 xmhillx
  • Reply 17 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

That looks good. It bears some resemblance to the iPod Touch but more refined:

The iPod Touch uses stainless steel for colors but it seems pretty scratch resistant. Reasons against switching to stainless steel with the iPhone would include weight, cost, ease of manufacturing and cooling properties. The rounded design and stronger metal in the current iPhone should help avoid the chips/scratches that showed up in the darker iPhone 5 models.

If this isn't the design Jony Ive had planned, he could always revise it now that he knows everybody thinks it looks cool. It matches up with some of the photos in recent months, although some are clearly fake as they have the cameras in different places:

The one with the camera further over is closer to how the camera is now as the corner is reinforced:

This mockup's camera looks nice as the curvature of the lens matches with the curvature of the band around it. They might not be able to pull that off in the real iPhone. They manage it with the iPod though. One benefit to offsetting it is it avoids fingers getting in the way of the lens when holding it.

A cleaner design like this would drive another round of upgrades no problem and they would be able to do an S-model in 2017, then an OLED upgrade in 2018 with an S-model in 2019. Then they bring out the car as iPhone sales level out and more people are on the upgrade plans.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    The publication later clarified, saying people who saw the new Space Gray hue mistook it for a shade of blue.

So you're saying it was a shade of grey so dark it looked dark blue?

Someone should be selling cases that say "I'm only using a Space Grey iPhone until Apple develops a darker colour."