Nancy Pelosi expresses disappointment over Tim Cook's GOP fundraiser

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    All rights are universal.
    Patently false. No one has the right to enter any country they please. No one has the right to vote wherever they please.

It really just depends on the definition of what we're considering s 'right'. 

And why the hell does iOS leave a standalone 's' when I mean to hit 'a'? It doesn't correct it. This is a fresh set of autocorrect definitions and it still does this.
    I was speaking of the rights of citizens within the USA. For example, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

Marriage is not a right.  It is a legal and spiritual contract/covenant between two people who meet the qualifications.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 62 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    claveman said:
    Nancy the Hypocrite

Did you know one of perks of being in Congress is you can legally make insider trades on the stock market?  Nancy knows.  She was exposed as an example on 60 Minutes a few years ago.  She was making investments in Visa/MasterCard stock while on the Congressional committee for bank card oversight.  That's what you call a real insider!  Total crook.  Probably on YouTube so check it out!

Pelosi is a complete waste of human skin:

As Steve Kroft reported on "60 Minutes," Pelosi is one of many lawmakers whose stock market trades could have been seen as a conflict of interest. The former speaker and her husband have participated in at least eight IPOs, one of which was from Visa in 2008 - just as a troublesome piece of legislation that would have hurt credit card companies began making its way through the House. The Pelosis purchased 5,000 shares of Visa at the initial price of $44 dollars. Two days later it was trading at $64.

Now Newsweek and The Daily Beast report that this stock purchase was made as Visa was engaged in a full-court press to lobby Pelosi to stop legislation to curb credit-card swipe fees to vendors.

In 2007, Visa used an army of lobbyists to try to influence Pelosi, including one of her former advisers, Dean Aguillen, Newsweek reports. Aguillen left Pelosi's office to work for the lobbying firm Ogilvy. By law, he could not lobby Pelosi's office directly, but he did lobby Congress on the credit card issue and offered advice to other lobbyists on that particular mission.

In addition to exploiting the revolving door between Congress and lobbying firms, Visa's political action committee made a $1,000 donation to Pelosi's re-election campaign, Newsweek reports (Visa headquarters is in Pelosi's home district). Two days after that donation was made, Pelosi met with Visa executives in her office. Aguillen also contributed $1,000 to Pelosi and another $1,000 to the campaign arm of the House Democratic caucus in the first half of 2008.

The former speaker maintains she wasn't influenced by Visa's lobbying efforts or her husband's stock purchases. "I will hold my record in terms of fighting the credit card companies as speaker of the House or as a member of Congress up against anyone," she told "60 Minutes."

:s 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-details-on-visas-attempt-to-influence-pelosi/

edited June 2016 tallest skilradiospace
  • Reply 63 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I was speaking of the rights of citizens within the USA. For example, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

Marriage is not a right.  It is a legal and spiritual contract/covenant between two people who meet the qualifications.
    Thanks for the clarification. Hear hear, then.

SpamSandwich said:
    Pelosi is a complete waste of human skin:

Great. Now the leftists will say you believe in the reptilian conspiracy theories.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 64 of 68
    jman225jman225 Posts: 18member
    It's exactly because of idiots like her that Trump will
    be our next president. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 65 of 68
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Not much else to add except that her idiocy is only surpassed by her arrogance.  As a lifelong Democrat, the party, I must say, is jumping the shark (even beyond the absurdity of Trump's takeover of the GOP).  Sad times for American politics.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 66 of 68
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Patently false. No one has the right to enter any country they please. No one has the right to vote wherever they please.

It really just depends on the definition of what we're considering s 'right'. 

And why the hell does iOS leave a standalone 's' when I mean to hit 'a'? It doesn't correct it. This is a fresh set of autocorrect definitions and it still does this.

The SCOTUS disagrees and rules that marriage is a civil right. No one shall be denied the right to marry based on race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, and so on. 

• Reply 67 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    netrox said:
    The SCOTUS disagrees
    The Constitution disagrees with the SCOTUS, and thus the SCOTUS is wrong. Marriage is not and cannot be a right. The right to marriage is left to the individual state constitutions to describe, and where it is not, it is left to the people.
    No one shall be denied the right to marry based on race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, and so on. 
    That’s ageist, by the way.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Why Tim Cook, are you  associating with the republican Party?
    they scorn those who are gay...
     http://nypost.com/2015/07/09/almost-two-thirds-of-republicans-oppose-gay-marriage-ruling/

is it some sort of ironic, inside joke ?, that you would host a Republican breakfast. meaning it is "Republican" in function, not  political ideology...  that those were  in attendance formed a "republic" of like minded  individuals that are fighting against Republican party views on gays. (Thus, an inside joke)