Dell abandons its remaining Android tablets, 6 months after HP

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2016
The weak sustainability of low-end market share has claimed a new victim. Dell has dropped its remaining Venue-branded Android tablet line and will instead focus on selling conventional PCs and hybrid "2-in-1" devices running Windows, citing over-saturation and declining demand for slate-style tablets.

Source: Canalys

According to a report by Agam Shah for PC World, Dell previously discontinued most of its Android offerings "some time ago" (including Venue-branded smartphones, which were dropped in 2012) but continued to build Venue tablets and an "Android-based Wyse Cloud Connect, a thumb-size computer that can turn a display."

Those remaining Android product have have now also been abandoned, and Dell will no longer be issuing any new Android updates for them.

"For customers who own Android-based Venue products, Dell will continue to support currently active warranty and service contracts until they expire, but we will not be pushing out future OS upgrades," the report cited a Dell spokesman as saying.

Dell's Android tablets were some of the company's cheapest products, and many were bundled for free with PC laptops. That turned out to be a poor strategy for maintaining sustainable profitability, despite the fact that IDC, Gartner, Strategy Analytics and other market research groups have been hailing Android's shipment volumes as meaningful for years, abetted by media sources that repeat their numbers without criticism.

HP, Lenovo also pulling out of Android tablets

Six months ago, HP similarly announced plans to dump its low end Android tablet business in an effort to focus on products that are profitable, after earlier giving up on Android phones.

HP's president of Personal Systems Ron Coughlin noted at the time, "we are going to focus where there is profitability and growth and will not chase the low-end tablet market."

PC World also noted that "Lenovo is offering fewer Android tablets than in previous years, and has expanded its Windows-based, 2-in-1 lineup."

Those moves mean that three of the top five PC and tablet makers globally have distanced themselves from Android tablets, while Apple--the leader in worldwide PC shipments according to Canalys--has never built Android hardware. The fifth place tablet and PC vendor, Samsung, has seen its own tablet sales drop by the greatest number of units over the previous year.

Apple's also moving toward "2-in-1" machines with iPad Pro

The entire tablet market has retracted globally, reverting back to the shipment volumes from 2011, when iPad 2 had just begun shipping alongside Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb offerings and a year before Microsoft entered the market with its own Surface line.

Alongside Microsoft's efforts to establish Surface Pro sales, major PC makers are now seeking to move their own tablet offerings upward, but that has required a platform switch. While Android enabled ultra-cheap tablets, it has not been able to generate significant demand on higher end tablet products.

That's sent major PC makers back to Microsoft, in the hope that Windows users in the enterprise might want to buy compatible hybrid PCs with tablet-like functions. Business users have overwhelmingly taken a pass on Android, in large part due to Google's cheap consumer focus and its neglect of enterprise support and serious shortcomings in security overall.

Apple has also shifted its focus in iPads by adding new features exclusively to its higher end iPad Pro line, which features greatly enhanced processing power enabling multiple apps on screen at once as well as new support for Apple Pencil and higher end displays with features such as the 9.7 inch iPad Pro's True Tone ambient light adjusting screen.

Apart from Apple, other vendors must switch chips or swap platforms

Unlike Microsoft's Surface Pro and many other "2-in-1" hybrid PC devices, Apple's iPad Pro is also designed to run on power efficient ARM-based Ax Application Processors supported by iOS. Windows 10 requires an Intel processor, as Microsoft's Windows RT effort to port Windows to ARM failed spectacularly.

The ability for iOS-powered iPads to achieve longer batter life in a slim, fan-free design also contributes toward making iPads more profitable, because Apple designs its own Application Processors rather than relying on Intel as Windows licensees (including Lenovo, HP, Dell and Samsung) must in order to ship in-demand products.

While both Android and Google's alternative Chrome OS both support ARM-based hardware, consumers and businesses have shown little interest in premium Android devices (deployment of new versions is actually falling backward) and virtually zero interest in Chrome OS netbooks, which are now being sold almost exclusively to U.S. schools.

Google recently announced plans (as expected) to bring Android apps to select Chrome OS devices, but the primary issue with Chrome OS is not a lack of low quality, smartphone-optimized apps monetized by surveillance user-tracking and ad banners.

Apple currently not only leads the market in tablet shipments, but maintains the only mobile platform with significant tablet-optimized apps, rich support for enterprise partners and high satisfaction among consumers.

The company hasn't yet reported sales for its initial quarter of the mainstream 9.7 inch iPad Pro, but sales estimates show that the initial 12 inch iPad Pro immediately outsold all of Microsoft's Surface line in its first quarter of availability over the winter. The larger iPad Pro already delivered comparable performance to Surface Pro at a lower entry price; the latest model is even less expensive, making it attractive to an even broader audience.
patchythepiratelolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But...but... Android fanboys are always telling us their cheap, shitty Android tablets are so much more superior to iPads!!  Say it ain't so!
    lkruppmacky the mackymagman1979lostkiwiredgeminipacornchipbrucemcbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 2 of 17
    It will be interesting to see how Gartner, IDC, Strategy Analytics and others proceed with making Android tablet sales sound good after this. I have always questioned the numbers reported by these analysts since profits always went to Apple. Also nearly every person I know who has an Android smartphone also has an iPad, MacBook Pro and/or iMac. 
    lostkiwicornchipbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Media spin will be:

"Samsung % of Android Market Skyrockets!"

(... because the other guys got smart and quit.)
    lostkiwiredgeminipadouglas baileycornchipbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 4 of 17
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I think we all knew most of these manufactures were just throwing money at it to see if they could be a number 2. It's no wonder Apple's share dropped when these guys had to basically give them away to recoup something out of their effort. 
    lostkiwiredgeminipacornchipbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 17
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Android phones are OK, having owned the HTC One M8. But having owned the iPad 2 and a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition.........Android tablets seriously suck. Besides the terrible screen ratio (iPad's 4:3 is way better for productive task), the Android apps sucked...They were/are shi*. Samsung has one thing going, that late 2013 tablet is faster than the iPad 1.... I think my iPad 2 has it beat, admittedly the Samsung has a better screen. I will certainly be switching back to an iPad soon. The HTC and Note 10.1 were my only Android devices in a mix of pretty much all Apple products. I liked the HTC, a lot but preferred my iPhone. Samsung is just trash.
    edited June 2016 magman1979davenredgeminipacornchipjony0
  • Reply 6 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Android. Winning. 
    drkrleitchcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 17
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The other shoe drops... 

So many vendors jumped into Android assuming that they would somehow replicate Apple's business model, success and earnings.
    A figurative tidal wave of senior managers collectively barking a need to be in this market immediately. Apple are selling so much, we *must* be missing out, this is the next big thing.

That rushed "invest now, figure it out later" mentality has resulted in a very familiar story: businesses distracted from their core offering to great detriment, only to end up in a worse position than where they started. With all of that lost time, r&d and money they could have actually invented something novel.

So it seems apple pie without the Apple is just a bunch of dry crumbs.

Meanwhile Apple is well familiar with competitors just copying their products (Microsoft/Google/Samsung/etc) - so it's not surprising that Apple have let this product category wane with this myriad of vendors burning themselves out with that. I won't be surprised when Apple start up some serious R&D on the iPad again.
    edited July 2016 pscooter63chialostkiwiredgeminipaicoco3Deelroncornchipbrucemcjony0
  • Reply 8 of 17
    DemigodDemigod Posts: 7member
    Honestly now, who didn't see this one coming? Tablets have been on a downward trend for some time now and Android manufacturers have every reason to jump ship. Many traditional Android tablet makers have already jumped onboard the Windows hybrid bandwagon (e.g. Samsung with the TabPro S and Huawei with the Matebook) so it was inevitable that others would do the same.

That being said, I don't think 2-in-1 devices (AKA Windows tablets) should be considered tablet replacements. These are clearly laptop replacement devices and most people are buying them as such. To lump a hybrid like a Surface with a traditional tablet like an iPad Pro is seriously misleading.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    The other shoe drops... 

So it seems apple pie without the Apple is just a bunch of dry crumbs.

You win best quote of the day.
    redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sflocal said:
    But...but... Android fanboys are always telling us their cheap, shitty Android tablets are so much more superior to iPads!!  Say it ain't so!
    The problem IMHO is that tablets just aren't ready to be the traditional computer replacements they were widely expected to be. Sure there's use cases for 'em, but personally I've found them not all that convenient as I prefer a physical keyboard for much of my work, so why flip back and forth between a tablet and perhaps attaching a keyboard compared to simply using a light notebook in the first place. If I truly want to just grab a connected device for a quick perusal of emails or a specific web search my 5.5" smartphone is plenty good enough. There isn't much if anything I give up by NOT using my tablets, but there often is if NOT using a notebook. 

The prediction of laptop and desktop computers demise because "iPad!" was a bit premature IMO.
    edited July 2016 freshmaker
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    The problem IMHO is that tablets just aren't ready to be the traditional computer replacements they were widely expected to be. Sure there's use cases for 'em, but personally I've found them not all that convenient as I prefer a physical keyboard for much of my work, so why flip back and forth between a tablet and perhaps attaching a keyboard compared to simply using up a light notebook in the first place. If I truly want to just grab a connected device for a quick perusal of emails or a specific web search my 5.5" smartphone is plenty good enough. There isn't much if anything I give up by NOT using my tablets, but there often is if NOT using a notebook. 

The prediction of laptop and desktop computers demise because "iPad!" was a bit premature IMO.
    Say, what? There is no "tablet market." There is an iPad market and cheap imitation hangers-on. The iPad was never conceived of as a traditional computer replacement. There is no question that there are some people who saw the iPad and its competitors as a laptop replacement. But the assertion that this was a widely held view is a bit much.

The implication is that there was an epic battle between tablets and traditional computers and the traditional computers won. This flies in the face of the facts. The traditional computer market is also retrenching. Dell itself is going private. It chief competitor, HP, has split-up with the big people going with Hewlett Package Enterprise, the services company. Sad to say, but it is my fear that the demise of Apple's Thunderbolt Cinema Display presages the end of the Apple's traditional computers--the Mac Pro and Mac mini. If I am correct, then the iMac will soon be Apple's only desktop line.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    sflocal said:
    Just for you... "It ain't so."
    drkrleitch
  • Reply 13 of 17
    That's OK. Google colonized your Apple and Microsoft devices anyway. 

By the way, have any of you actually used a Chromebook? It is a locked down platform with quick updates and it boots up in about 4 seconds flat. I think Google will move more in the direction of tightening down on Android, more like an Apple model and its own Chrome OS model.  

Having had many Androids of all kinds, the top OEM manufacturers by quality are Samsung, LG, and HTC.  Even Apple uses Samsung parts in its devices.  The Samsung flagship devices are very high quality.  I'm enjoying my S7 Active. Every device should be build with this ruggedness and quality. A large number of Apple devices I see seem to have damaged screens and kept in ugly rubber cases.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mr. me said:
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    The problem IMHO is that tablets just aren't ready to be the traditional computer replacements they were widely expected to be. Sure there's use cases for 'em, but personally I've found them not all that convenient as I prefer a physical keyboard for much of my work, so why flip back and forth between a tablet and perhaps attaching a keyboard compared to simply using up a light notebook in the first place. If I truly want to just grab a connected device for a quick perusal of emails or a specific web search my 5.5" smartphone is plenty good enough. There isn't much if anything I give up by NOT using my tablets, but there often is if NOT using a notebook. 

Say, what? There is no "tablet market." There is an iPad market and cheap imitation hangers-on. The iPad was never conceived of as a traditional computer replacement.... But the assertion that this was a widely held view is a bit much.
    I don't know how you missed all the "Post-PC" world claims, many from right here at AI. Of course it was widely believed traditional laptops and notebooks were passe' with the arrival of the iPad. Widely of course does not mean everyone or even most. You use "widely believed" to say that something is known, or believed or supported by many people. I think it meets the definition. Do a search for "Post-PC" and note the stories from 2010-2014 predicting or claiming that time has arrived with the advent of the iPad.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 15 of 17
    "But it's open!"  :lol: 
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    gatorguy said:
    mr. me said:
    Say, what? There is no "tablet market." There is an iPad market and cheap imitation hangers-on. The iPad was never conceived of as a traditional computer replacement.... But the assertion that this was a widely held view is a bit much.
    I don't know how you missed all the "Post-PC" world claims, many from right here at AI. Of course it was widely believed traditional laptops and notebooks were passe' with the arrival of the iPad. Widely of course does not mean everyone or even most. You use "widely believed" to say that something is known, or believed or supported by many people. I think it meets the definition. Do a search for "Post-PC" and note the stories from 2010-2014 predicting or claiming that time has arrived with the advent of the iPad.
    I missed nothing. What you are describing is not Post-PC, but rather a PC in a different form factor. Yes, there were people who believed that we should have been rendering CGI video and developing software on our iPads. I call these people "idiots." Although there were and are more of these people than I would like, I remain unconvinced that their numbers are large enough to classify their view as "widely held."
    brucemcchia
  • Reply 17 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Thanks DED.  Another one bites the dust.