MetroPCS to sell Apple's iPhone for first time on Friday, but only in Florida

Posted:
in iPhone
T-Mobile's prepaid brand -- MetroPCS -- will officially begin iPhone sales for the first time on Friday, though initially only in the state of Florida.

Prices should be roughly in line with Apple's, with the iPhone 6s starting at $649 and the iPhone 6s Plus costing $100 extra. The carrier will however be selling the iPhone SE for $349 -- $50 less than Apple -- and even offering the iPhone 5s for $199. Apple discontinued the 5s in favor of the SE, which has the same general 4-inch design but internal components closer to the iPhone 6s.

While MetroPCS doesn't offer the same perks or device selection as T-Mobile, its plans start at $30 per month, whereas T-Mobile's core Simple Choice plans are at least $50.

The reason for the long delay in MetroPCS' iPhone sales is unclear, since other U.S. prepaid carriers like Cricket and Virgin Mobile have been offering the device for some time.

After launching the iPhone in 2007, Apple was slow to sign deals with prepaid carriers, preferring to attach the device to more lucrative postpaid networks. As the device's popularity grew though, the company gradually added prepaid brands in a bid to keep sales expanding.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is odd, because I remember, very well, that several years ago, Metro PCS announced that they would be carrying iPhones.
    moreck
  • Reply 2 of 8
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    melgross said:
    This is odd, because I remember, very well, that several years ago, Metro PCS announced that they would be carrying iPhones.
    Maybe that was the old MetroPCS.  They were acquired by T-Mobile in 2013.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    The 5S thing isn't surprising. I know cricket had them a while back for $150.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    melgross said:
    And why should that stop them, as T-Mobile was selling iPhones back then?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    melgross said:
    T'mobile's monthly and prepaid services are run as nearly separate companies. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    melgross said:
    I dunno, man.  You recall that MetroPCS announced they would be selling iPhones several years ago.

Did they or didn't they?

I was merely offering a possible reason. I'm out.

:)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    melgross said:
    T'mobile's monthly and prepaid services are run as nearly separate companies. 
    That doesn't make sense. If both were selling iPhones before, then there would be no reason I can think of that they wouldn't be afterwards. Obviously, something happened. What it was is something else.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    melgross said:
    I dunno, man.  You recall that MetroPCS announced they would be selling iPhones several years ago.

Did they or didn't they?

I was merely offering a possible reason. I'm out.

:)
    They did. They even began a big advertising campaign.