Apple reportedly mulling Tidal acquisition for access to exclusive content

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I am struggling to see what benefit Apple could obtain from this that it couldnt already easily do on its own. And can't be for eliminating competition reasons either. Tidal would be a blip on other services' radar.

i can only see this as BS being spread by JayZ  trying to milk a better purchase price out of some other player (eg Samsung) or Apple is just muddying the waters to make some other player ( eg Samsung) pay more for tidal than they need to. Regardless the end result is the other player ( eg Samsung ) ends up paying more.

• Reply 22 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Tidal would be a good buy for Apple for several reasons:

1.  Tidal has great relationships with lots of star Artists.
    2.  JZ would certainly be a good advisor to Apple on Music matters.
    3.  Tidal streams both Music and Videos.

2. JZ might become an advisor to Apple on things relating to the dead and dying backwater of music that is often wrongly called R&B.[1]

There fixed it for you.
    [1] IMHO, real R&B was the raw music played by bands like the Animals and Yardbirds in the mid 1960's. The blues background was obvious. Where is the blues infulence on this modern variant eh?
    Just my opinion though. But I did see both those bands live back then.
    I don't think Jay-Z has ever been called an R&B artist.  He's a rapper, and his music is either rap or hip-hop.

Contemporary R&B is just a catch all term for a melting point of soul, funk, disco and hip-hop fusion pop music.  Getting pedantic about the etymology is going to be a losing battle for you.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Apple, don't buy them.  Bury them.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    don't waste money on this.   spend it on making SIRI better - its apple's biggest weakness.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 25 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Hmm... Not one response to what I think is a reasonable question in post #15. And at least three 'gutless weasels' hitting 'dislike.'

Gosh, AI, you really do have a MAJOR problem. There has been barely any substantive discussion on any serious topic since you redid your website (for the worse, I might add) a few months ago, and introduced the 'dislike' button. Thoughtful, long-time members have simply stopped posting (many of us know who they are).

I am sure that, if you did a quick count of the number of posts before and after, you'll see what I mean. Your member engagement has fallen off a cliff. Mine certainly has. 

This is too bad, really, since AI was the one intellectually honest, engaging, Apple blog left in a wasteland of blogs. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 26 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Tidal would be a good buy for Apple for several reasons:

1.  Tidal has great relationships with lots of star Artists.
    2.  JZ would certainly be a good advisor to Apple on Music matters.
    3.  Tidal streams both Music and Videos.

2. JZ might become an advisor to Apple on things relating to the dead and dying backwater of music that is often wrongly called R&B.[1]

There fixed it for you.
    [1] IMHO, real R&B was the raw music played by bands like the Animals and Yardbirds in the mid 1960's. The blues background was obvious. Where is the blues infulence on this modern variant eh?
    Just my opinion though. But I did see both those bands live back then.
    The last thing Apple Music needs is a bigger infusion of rap and hip hop. Turn on Beats 1 just about any time of the day and they're playing either rap or hip hop. IMO the only thing Tidal has that would be worthwhile is access to Prince's catalog (not on Apple Music and not all of his albums are available on iTunes) but I'm sure Apple could do a deal with whomever is controlling his estate now to get access to his full catalog. What else is there to acquire Tidal for? Beyoncé exclusives? Please.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Hmm... Not one response to what I think is a reasonable question in post #15. And at least three 'gutless weasels' hitting 'dislike.'

Gosh, AI, you really do have a MAJOR problem. There has been barely any substantive discussion on any serious topic since you redid your website (for the worse, I might add) a few months ago, and introduced the 'dislike' button. Thoughtful, long-time members have simply stopped posting (many of us know who they are).

I am sure that, if you did a quick count of the number of posts before and after, you'll see what I mean. Your member engagement has fallen off a cliff. Mine certainly has. 

This is too bad, really, since AI was the one intellectually honest, engaging, Apple blog left in a wasteland of blogs. 
    You don't win any prize until you reach my level of dislikes. :#
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 28 of 36
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Tidal also does lossless streaming. If Apple acquired them, it would be nice if Apple would then also offer a lossless option.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I neither liked nor disliked your post, though I'd be tempted to dislike it just for the tone, and for presuming to call people gutless weasels simply for expressing a sentiment.

I'd prefer it if AI got rid of this anonymity though. If I dislike a post I have no problem with people knowing it. A fair amount of the time I actively want them to know it. 
  • Reply 30 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple should just approach the artists individually and negotiate with them for exclusives. Forget about Tidal. There's no value for Apple with Jay-Z acting as a middleman. Divide and conquer!
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 31 of 36
    crowley said:
    I neither liked nor disliked your post, though I'd be tempted to dislike it just for the tone, and for presuming to call people gutless weasels simply for expressing a sentiment.

I'd prefer it if AI got rid of this anonymity though. If I dislike a post I have no problem with people knowing it. A fair amount of the time I actively want them to know it. 
    Please, be my guest, go ahead and 'dislike' it! In fact, add a dislike to this one too. I hate your tone too; big whoop. (Wow. Ouch. What I am going to do with the emotional toll this takes on my self-esteem...)

If you don't have an answer to my question, you might just consider moving along.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 36
    crowley said:

Please, be my guest, go ahead and 'dislike' it! In fact, add a dislike to this one too. I hate your tone too; big whoop. (Wow. Ouch. What I am going to do with the emotional toll this takes on my self-esteem...)

If you don't have an answer to my question, you might just consider moving along.
    I'm not trying to affect your self-esteem, just your politeness.  Clearly wasted effort.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    crowley said:

I'm not trying to affect your self-esteem, just your politeness.  Clearly wasted effort.
    Says the guy who's the king of sarcasm and snideness on these boards.

Give me a break. Like I said, if you don't have a substantive response to my question about what the strategy with Tidal might be, move along. Please.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 36
    crowley said:

Give me a break. Like I said, if you don't have a substantive response to my question about what the strategy with Tidal might be, move along. Please.
    I don't even know why you're bothering asking that question about a rumour, especially where the rumoured "answer" to your question is in the headline.

Maybe you should explain why you're taking the rumour so seriously, and why the proposed strategy isn't to your satisfaction, preferably before you get all petulant about other people's disrepeck towards your post rep.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    crowley said:

I don't even know why you're bothering asking that question about a rumour, especially where the rumoured "answer" to your question is in the headline.

Maybe you should explain why you're taking the rumour so seriously, and why the proposed strategy isn't to your satisfaction, preferably before you get all petulant about other people's disrepeck towards your post rep.
    'Exclusive content' to a couple of artists! This is what a $250B company that has redfined success, quality, vision, brilliance in execution, and most importantly, innovation that no one has been able to match in the past few decades must see as 'strategy.'

Oh wow. Oh man. Yikes. /Foreheadslap. How could I not see that when it was staring at me in the face!?

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Completely ridiculous seeing that Tidal was created in the wake of Apple's acquisition of Beats knowing full well that Apple would eventually acquire them as well for some obscene amount of money. I miss the days of Steve Jobs who would never reward such greed. Wake up Apple and replace the political activist Cook before you lose whatever is left of your once successful and innovative company.