Roundup: The best external monitor alternatives to Apple's discontinued Thunderbolt Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I have been running an LG 34UM95 ultrawide monitor on my late 2013 27" iMac (3.5ghz i7, 32gb ram, GeForce GTX 775M) for well over a year now and love it but now I'm wondering if I could run another Ultrawide monitor at the same time with no issues.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    I have been using BenQ for gaming and also graphic design going on 6 years now. I also have 2 of the Apple monitors for comparison. I have had great experience with the BenQ product and customer support when needed is good. Unfortunately it seems tough to find someone that builds a monitor for greatness versus looking to squeeze every dime out of profit and getting the price point low. I really appreciate how Apple constructs their monitors out of Aluminum and glass. Something to be said for using "premium" materials.
    You're primarily paying for aesthetics and features such as its functionality as a dock when you purchase Apple's display. For graphic design I would probably favor NEC or Eizo over BenQ, but a lot of displays are good enough. I think your comment about every dime of profit borders on absurdity, because most display vendors don't enjoy Apple's margins. They're smaller companies. Apple themselves reuses components across different products, as they did with the (pre 2012) imac and thunderbolt display.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    bdboerbdboer Posts: 1member
    The Dell 43 inch monitor has a backlight that is flickering. Returned mine because of that (and also didn’t find it sharp enough, even after adjusting it in all possible ways). I am now considering a 31.5 inch UHD (3.840 x 2.160 pixels) from Eizo. Anti-glare and with no flickering backlight, in addition to my Apple Cinema 30 inch HD.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    FWIW, the new 2016 macbook pros, which come only with Thunderbolt 3 ports, do not support mini display port displays. they will support Thunderbolt 2 adapters, but not Mini DisplayPort adapters. See here

"
    Note that although it uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to Mini DisplayPort displays. Also, this adapter supports only one powered Thunderbolt 2 device on a USB-C equipped Mac."
  • Reply 25 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    stufisher said:
    FWIW, the new 2016 macbook pros, which come only with Thunderbolt 3 ports, do not support mini display port displays. they will support Thunderbolt 2 adapters, but not Mini DisplayPort adapters. See here

"Note that although it uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to Mini DisplayPort displays. Also, this adapter supports only one powered Thunderbolt 2 device on a USB-C equipped Mac."
    The TB3 to TB2 adapter doesn't support mini-dp display output but you can connect to mini displayport displays using a different adapter:

http://www.kanex.com/usb-c-dp-adapter

You'd put a displayport to mini-dp cable on the end.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 26 of 26
    JackW327JackW327 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    My desk will just have to look like a product of the Borg I guess.